• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gun Control Laws

I find it kind of sad how quick this thread goes from logical talks of a useful AWB to people demanding that no more guns anywhere is the answer. This is why even those in our country who want lots of regulation and lots of changes are scared to say it, because this is where the conversation ultimately ends. Many people believe in more regulation and a ban on assault weapons- but won't support it if they feel it is a step toward being completely disarmed.

I also feel like the NRA missed a golden opportunity today to give some ground and really help this debate.

Last edited:
I find it kind of sad how quick this thread goes from logical talks of a useful AWB to people demanding that no more guns anywhere is the answer. This is why even those in our country who want lots of regulation and lots of changes are scared to say it, because this is where the conversation ultimately ends. Many people believe in more regulation and a ban on assault weapons- but won't support it if they feel it is a step toward being completely disarmed.

I also feel like the NRA missed a golden opportunity today to give some ground and really help this debate.

the NRA is a lobby for gun manufacturers, so they want more and more guns.

follow the money

We're on page 90 of the thread. Usually these buggers devolve to nonsense around page 10.

I'd imagine most people are in the middle of the debate between "ban all guns" and "no regulations for guns," but those at the extremes will always be the ones that shout the loudest.

We're on page 90 of the thread. Usually these buggers devolve to nonsense around page 10.

I'd imagine most people are in the middle of the debate between "ban all guns" and "no regulations for guns," but those at the extremes will always be the ones that shout the loudest.

this. under the circumstances this thread has been remarkably reasonable (Jason, understand that the threshold for "reasonable" around here is "just north of completely insane").

The problem with irrational logic that banning assault rifles and clips/magazines of over 10 rounds will lead to gun confiscation or massive gun over-regulation is that we had an AWB for ten years and a a ban on high round magazines/clips for ten years. None of those of those feared actions took place.

We have historical and empirical that what they fear now (and feared then) didn't happen. To say it would now is contradicted by historical events.

It's illogical and irrational to say it would.

Chris Christie opposes armed guards in schools

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) has come out against posting armed guards in schools, telling reporters Friday that it would not make students safer.

Armed guards would not be effective, he said during an event in Newark, as reported by the Bergen Record, unless they were in every classroom. “Because if you just have an armed guard at the front door then what if this guy had gone around to the side door? There’s many doors in and out of schools.”

He added that there would be significant drawbacks to such a system.

“You don’t want to make this an armed camp for kids,” Christie said. “I don’t think that’s a positive example for children. We should be able to figure out other ways to enhance safety.”

A small minority of the country wanting to ban all guns does not justify the "slippery slope" defense of the NRA and their sheep.

The problem with irrational logic that banning assault rifles and clips/magazines of over 10 rounds will lead to gun confiscation or massive gun over-regulation is that we had an AWB for ten years and a a ban on high round magazines/clips for ten years. None of those of those feared actions took place.

We have historical and empirical that what they fear now (and feared then) didn't happen. To say it would now is contradicted by historical events.

It's illogical and irrational to say it would.

I'm sorry but YOU calling anything "illogical and irrational" is laughable at best. Our country is in a very different place than it was 1994-2004, the parallels you are trying to make are asinine. It didn't happen last time, it's impossible it could happen this time, LOL great point. You yourself have made it clear that you think even revolvers should be illegal- you sir are the fringe unhelpful part of this conversation.

There are armed school resource officers in the schools where I live. They are employees of the local police departments.

i think Portland has 19 or 20 SROs and 92 public schools.
their role is not to serve as guards. obviously they will react in a situation, but that's not why they're there.

I'm sorry but YOU calling anything "illogical and irrational" is laughable at best. Our country is in a very different place than it was 1994-2004, the parallels you are trying to make are asinine. It didn't happen last time, it's impossible it could happen this time, LOL great point. [/B]You yourself have made it clear that you think even revolvers should be illegal- you sir are the fringe unhelpful part of this conversation.

NEVER NOT A SINGLE TIME did I say what you allege I said in the bolded, underlined part and I never would.

You couldn't be more wrong.

You're new. Let's see if have any honor and admit you are wrong.

Let me get this straight, according the NRA and gun lovers we need to have guns to keep the government from becoming a police state. But the NRA answer here is to station armed police officers in every school...

I'm sorry but YOU calling anything "illogical and irrational" is laughable at best. Our country is in a very different place than it was 1994-2004, the parallels you are trying to make are asinine. It didn't happen last time, it's impossible it could happen this time, LOL great point. You yourself have made it clear that you think even revolvers should be illegal- you sir are the fringe unhelpful part of this conversation.

What's so different about the place we are in since 2004?

NEVER NOT A SINGLE TIME did I say what you allege I said in the bolded, underlined part and I never would.

You couldn't be more wrong.

You're new. Let's see if have any honor and admit you are wrong.

You are correct, found the post I thought was yours, it wasnt, my apologies. Still very much disagree with your argument that because it didn't happen then it CAN'T/WON'T happen this time.

And to clarify, I don't support the slippery slope argument, just pointing out that this thread makes it clear where it could of come from.

Back