• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Guns

is it a 1911 or some other type of .45?

If it is a 1911 there is a guy in lexington who will do basically any of the work for you for free if you buy the parts.

And elkman, I reload everything i shoot except .40 caliber. (.223, .243, .380, 9mm, .38 special, .357 magnum, .45 acp). Have you been laying in a supply of powder/primers in case another '08 situation happens this year? I figure between the election and the 2012 morons we could see supplies dry up or prices shoot sky high.

Yep, it is a 1911.

is it a 1911 or some other type of .45?

If it is a 1911 there is a guy in lexington who will do basically any of the work for you for free if you buy the parts.

And elkman, I reload everything i shoot except .40 caliber. (.223, .243, .380, 9mm, .38 special, .357 magnum, .45 acp). Have you been laying in a supply of powder/primers in case another '08 situation happens this year? I figure between the election and the 2012 morons we could see supplies dry up or prices shoot sky high.

Not really. I still have some IMR4064 that I bought in the 80s. And I have 2000 rounds of 30-06 M2 ball set aside for zombies. I was just at the Cabela's in Hamburg PA over the weekend, and if you got one of their credit cards, you got $20 off your first purchase. I recently bought a Marlin 1894PG in 44 mag, so I bought a pound of H110 and 1000 CCI350 primers, so I should be good to go on that front. For shotgun shell reloading, I buy powder in the 8 pound kegs, and primers in the 10000 count box. It seems that primers and lead shot are the items where price fluctuates a lot.

Remington 870 20ga.
M-1 carbine
Bersa Thunder 9mm
Bersa Thunder .380
Colt Police Positive .38 (no ammo)

Mossberg 930spx (great 12 gauge shotgun, but you can't run light/game loads through it or it won't cycle.)
moss_85360.jpg

Marlin 336 that I keep clean, but it has never even been fired. Won it as a door prize.
zoom_336A.jpg

Marlin 980S 22 Magnum that is ridiculously accurate.
MARLIN-980S-22LR.jpg

A Browning A5 12 gauge from back in the 60's
9302228_1.jpg

Some horrible little semi-automatic .22 LR rifle that jams up all the time, but it is kind of pretty and has a decent scope on it.

I have no handguns, but do enjoy shooting them too. I never really get to shoot much though. It's rare these days.

You interested in letting that A5 have a new caretaker?

I have the following:

M-1 Garand, .30-06
Springfield XD, 9mm
Remington M1911, .45 cal
Mosin-Nagant bolt action rifle (old commie WWII rifle), 7.62mm

I don't like the Springfield XD 9mm very much. I'd like to get rid of it and get a Glock or Sig Sauer.

I'd also like to get an Auto-Ordnance new production M-1 carbine.

I am not a fan of the Springfield XD either. I have fired two and both had HEAVY triggers, and everything about both of them just felt "off" to me.

I love my XD. I bought the 3" 9mm....and Raleigh, I'll give you $250 for Marlin 336.

I shot one at a rental range here in Roanoke. A few of my friends here have them and love them. For me, I didn't like the grip safety and the trigger safety. I didn't like the trigger safety on the Glock I shot. I went to a store, handled a few 9mm's, and loved my Beretta PX4 Storm. Some don't like the gun but it fits me like a glove. There's no one gun for everyone though.

Hm.. so tempted to outbid you by a small amount and sell the fact that I live in Raleigh.

Ha, while I am a bit tempted, I really want to hang on to it because I do love those rifles.

As for someone wanting the A5, I just can't part with it. At least not right now. My dad picked two up at an estate sale. The one with the ribbed barrel I took and he has the other one. I was shooting skeet with mine last fall and I LOVE that shotgun. It is a ridiculously easy shooting auto 12 gauge. I love my 930 spx but it kicks like an angry mule. The A5 just doesn't. And because the A5 is an inertia reloader, if you want to shoot light game loads and the gun is not cycling, you can just flip the inertia spring around to run light loads and then it's more like shooting a 20 gauge. Love that gun.

ETA: Just wanted to reiterate that the Marlin bolt action 22 magnum rifle I have might be the most fun of all to shoot, simply because that thing is laser accurate out to about 150 yards. You can adjust accordingly beyond that, but seriously, that rifle is a tack driver out to about 150. It's crazy accurate, even using crappy .22 mag ammo.

Last edited:
I shot one at a rental range here in Roanoke. A few of my friends here have them and love them. For me, I didn't like the grip safety and the trigger safety. I didn't like the trigger safety on the Glock I shot. I went to a store, handled a few 9mm's, and loved my Beretta PX4 Storm. Some don't like the gun but it fits me like a glove. There's no one gun for everyone though.

This almost describes me to a T but instead of going with the Beretta Storm I ended up with the Beretta 92. Fit's me like a glove and I can drive nails with it at about 25 feet. One of my favorite purchases. Now that i've graduated and got a big boy job I'm thinking about what I want next, i'll probably go with a nice 12 guage Benelli as they are sweet to shoot and hold their value well.

This almost describes me to a T but instead of going with the Beretta Storm I ended up with the Beretta 92. Fit's me like a glove and I can drive nails with it at about 25 feet. One of my favorite purchases. Now that i've graduated and got a big boy job I'm thinking about what I want next, i'll probably go with a nice 12 guage Benelli as they are sweet to shoot and hold their value well.

I love the Beretta 92; carried it for a year in the Stan. I would love to get one down the road.

I love the Beretta 92; carried it for a year in the Stan. I would love to get one down the road.

Yea I absolutely love it. It's a nice full-sized Pistol so it certainly wouldn't be something you could carry concealed all day but it's a fantastic range gun and is as reliable as it gets. It's a ton of fun to shot and easy to disassemble and clean. Great design and one of my favorite purchases.

ETA: Just wanted to reiterate that the Marlin bolt action 22 magnum rifle I have might be the most fun of all to shoot, simply because that thing is laser accurate out to about 150 yards. You can adjust accordingly beyond that, but seriously, that rifle is a tack driver out to about 150. It's crazy accurate, even using crappy .22 mag ammo.

Feel the same way about my Marlin 917V .17 HMR. Got a Bushnell drop-compensating scope on it, and it's my favorite target shooting and plinking rifle. Very accurate if there's little or no wind.

917V.jpg

As a kid, one of my favorite competitions was with a cousin shooting .22's. We set 20 gauge shells laying down in a metal tube on a stump and walk out a few hundred yards. We'd both take a shot for the primer. If we missed we'd walk a couple steps closer and shoot again. First one to hit the primer and set off the shell won. We evolved it to have targets behind the shells to see who could secondary fire the cleanest pattern.

I was really going back and forth between the PX4 Storm and the 92. I really liked both but the PX4 Storm was lighter and just felt great in my hand. I'll probably break down at some point and get 92 or get the 96 in .40 S&W.

Last edited:
I have a Sako 222 Riihimiki that I inherited from my dad. Beautiful, sweet-shooting varmint rifle. My father always talked about it like it was worth a lot - I have no idea.
I also have a Marlin 100th anniversay lever-action .22 from 1970 - octagon barrel, gold trigger and butt plate. I love that little gun. I always figured it might be worth something as a collector's item but I looked it up recently and it didn't appear to have any special value....

I have no firearms. Hear that ATF; no firearms. No need to search .

Leftcoastdeac:

In re-reading your original post, I saw that you also have a Mosin-Nagant. What do you think of it? Mine is dated 1929. I bought it because it was only $110 from the dealer I bought it from (I got the hex breech model, which seems to have been common pre-WWII). I just wanted a larger caliber rifle that I could buy and shoot for cheap. (I got 500 rounds of ammo when I got the Mosin-Nagant for $85.00) While I absolutely love to shoot my M-1 Garand (I bought it from the CMP, Special Grade), the ammunition for it is through the roof -- approximately $0.45 per round for surplus Greek .30-06 rounds from the CMP, which is probably the cheapest price than can be found.

I have found the Mosin-Nagant to be fairly accurate, but the bolt-action is cumbersome and prone to jamming, no doubt typical of mass-production in a communist country at that time. Every time I shoot it, it increases the bullshit factor of the scene at the beginning of Enemy at the Gates when Zaitsev is playing dead in the fountain and then fires 5 rounds in just a few seconds, getting 5 kills, including the German General taking a field shower. To me, the Mosin-Nagant is what it is and nothing more -- an old Soviet rifle that you can own and shoot for cheap.

I agree with your praise of the M9 Berretta, having carried one myself in Bosnia and Iraq. It is very accurate and easy to maintain. I plan on buying one for myself at some point soon. However, I honestly believe that the M1911 .45 is a better military pistol. If given a choice, I would carry the M1911. Frankly, however, if you are down to using your sidearm (and particularly if the JAG (me) is having to engage the enemy with his sidearm) the war isn't going exactly well for you at that moment.

I've got the Springfield XD 9mm with 4 inch barrel. Like RaleighDeacon and Helton Creek, I just don't like the way the grip and trigger safety feel, nor the way the pistol feels in my hand. I agree with RaleighDeacon's assessment of the trigger pull being very heavy. No matter how hard I try, I just can't get a good, tight shot group with it.

92 - I've had that mosin for years and never fired it. I guess I'm scared of cleaning after firing the old, corrosive surplus ammo I have for it. I think at the time I bought it primarily because it was cheap (around $100) and ammo was easy to find. Is it really as simple as cleaning it with Windex, wiping it down, and then using gun cleaner?

You know; I'm on the fence with the 1911 vs. M9 thing. Overall I like the 1911 better, but I don't know if it's a better service pistol. I find the 1911 to be a shooter's weapon. It seems to require something special to really fire it well and keep it running. Not to mention they can be a real PIA in order to get tuned. The M9 on the other hand, better fits the bill as a weapon for the masses. Easy to maintain, easy to fire, highly accurate...just makes more sense as a service weapon.

That said, I hope to have one of each some day :D

Back