• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Guns

You know; I'm on the fence with the 1911 vs. M9 thing. Overall I like the 1911 better, but I don't know if it's a better service pistol. I find the 1911 to be a shooter's weapon. It seems to require something special to really fire it well and keep it running. Not to mention they can be a real PIA in order to get tuned. The M9 on the other hand, better fits the bill as a weapon for the masses. Easy to maintain, easy to fire, highly accurate...just makes more sense as a service weapon.

Agree completely leftcoast, the 1911 takes quite a bit of time to learn how to properly strip down, clean properly, and then re-assemble again. The M9 (or civilian version 92) is just so simple to field strip, clean, and then put back together in no time. I'm a pretty new gun enthusiast and it was no problem at all for me to do any of that with the 92. I'd be almost afraid to take a 1911 apart for fear i'd screw it up. That said, it is a firearm I absolutely would love to have and will probably be the next pistol I buy (one I make some money/hit it big in Vegas next week :D). The 1911 is the classic American pistol though, and is a shooters pistol for sure.

Agree completely leftcoast, the 1911 takes quite a bit of time to learn how to properly strip down, clean properly, and then re-assemble again. The M9 (or civilian version 92) is just so simple to field strip, clean, and then put back together in no time. I'm a pretty new gun enthusiast and it was no problem at all for me to do any of that with the 92. I'd be almost afraid to take a 1911 apart for fear i'd screw it up. That said, it is a firearm I absolutely would love to have and will probably be the next pistol I buy (one I make some money/hit it big in Vegas next week :D). The 1911 is the classic American pistol though, and is a shooters pistol for sure.

Sadly, I am the poster boy for your concern. I have managed to break my .45 in the course of cleaning it. (I am still trying to find the name of the part I broke so that I can answer richis711's question to me regarding what is wrong with it.)

Last edited:
Sadly, I am the poster boy for your concern. I have managed to break my .45 in the course of cleaning it. (I am still trying to find the name of the part I broke so that I can answer richis711's question to me regarding what is wrong with it.)

I suppose it was during a detail strip? Was it part of the slide or the frame?

Also, was this a series 80 or later 1911 (i.e. does it have the firing pin block)?

richis711:

I think the part I broke is the firing pin block. It is a small, thin metal protusion that (when not broken off like mine is now) rises up when the trigger is pulled. It is housed in the frame near the trigger assembly.

I discovered that it was broken when I was at ProShots a few weeks ago. I had loaded up my first magazine, chambered a round, focused on the target and squeezed the trigger. Nothing happened. I performed SPORTS for the .45 and attempted to fire again. Again nothing. After doing this a few more times, I cleared and unloaded the weapon, took it out front, and removed the slide. Only upon close inspection did I discover the break in the firing pin block.

It shouldn't be that hard for a gunsmith to repair if they can get the part. You mentioned someone in Lexington. Do you know any gunsmiths in Winston-Salem? I suppose I should ask the folks at ProShots for their recommendations.

richis711:

I think the part I broke is the firing pin block. It is a small, thin metal protusion that (when not broken off like mine is now) rises up when the trigger is pulled. It is housed in the frame near the trigger assembly.

I discovered that it was broken when I was at ProShots a few weeks ago. I had loaded up my first magazine, chambered a round, focused on the target and squeezed the trigger. Nothing happened. I performed SPORTS for the .45 and attempted to fire again. Again nothing. After doing this a few more times, I cleared and unloaded the weapon, took it out front, and removed the slide. Only upon close inspection did I discover the break in the firing pin block.

It shouldn't be that hard for a gunsmith to repair if they can get the part. You mentioned someone in Lexington. Do you know any gunsmiths in Winston-Salem? I suppose I should ask the folks at ProShots for their recommendations.

I don't know any gun smiths in winston, I'm sure there are some. The guy in lexington is actually one of the best 1911 smiths in the country, it would be worth the drive.

The firing pin block is actually in the slide so I don't think that is what is messed up, but I think I know the piece you are talking about. If you are dead set about getting a gun smith in winston, I'd just talk to the folks at pro shots, I'm sure they can set you up. They are always helpful.

It sounds to me like it is the disconnector.

richis711:

Can you please PM me with the contact info for your guy in Lexington?

Thanks!

As a kid, one of my favorite competitions was with a cousin shooting .22's. We set 20 gauge shells laying down in a metal tube on a stump and walk out a few hundred yards. We'd both take a shot for the primer. If we missed we'd walk a couple steps closer and shoot again. First one to hit the primer and set off the shell won. We evolved it to have targets behind the shells to see who could secondary fire the cleanest pattern.

I love this post.

I am a big fan of shooting sports, too, and have a thing for quality firearms. So I was never happy with any of the airguns I had ever owned; quality was not the same. After some research, I ended up getting a Wierauch HW97k, synthetic stock, in .20 caliber. It is a German-import precision gun, quality comparable to any top-of-the-line rifle. It is designed for European small-game hunting, where centerfire rifles are generally prohibited for most folks. Weighs approximately 9 lbs, with the scope. (Note, air guns also require a special scope). Fun to shoot in the backyard and amazingly accurate. An excellent option for practice shooting.

For those that might doubt airguns, here is a point of trivia - Lewis and Clark used an airgun on their expedition - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqFyKh-rUI

Otherwise, I usually shoot a Benelli Super Black Eagle or a customized Remington Model 700 in 7 mag. (Timney trigger, floated barrel and hand checkered/finished stock).

I am not a big collector of handguns; just not my thing so far. However, I have been keeping an eye on the Kimber Solo, which is supposed to come out in a tactical version before too long.

Last edited:
jason bought a new gun today- remington 1100 semi-automatic 12 gauge.

that brings our (his) list to:

walther p-22
glock 19
"grandad's old 16 gauge pump something"
remi 1100 12 gauge
...and a s&w bodyguard .380 on the way soon, just waiting for the deal to come through.

exercising the second amendment- going shooting. happy memorial day!

woot, shooting was awesome. picked up the s&w .380 right before hitting the range.
of the three of ours i shot, i liked the glock 19 the best in terms of balance/feel, but found the walther easiest to shoot.
currently in the market for a left-handed 20 gauge.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338162819.582796.jpg

Thinkin about selling my bushmaster AR.. It's been taken well care of and been absolutely awesome. I am thinking about getting an acr or M1a.. If anyone's interested..

A completely well preserved version of this with an accompanying custom wooden holster that attaches to the back to make it longer to hold it against your shoulder. I have fired 10 rounds with this about 6 years ago. my grandfather just gave it to me yesterday..

German Mauser Hand Pistol
5208753253_8c82c1b4bf_z.jpg

Looking to sell my TA01NSN Trijicon ACOG.. I bought it brand new roughly six months ago for over $900.. Zeroed it and never shot with it after that, things have been too busy with work and it is just sitting in my gun safe.. I am asking $600, which is a really fair price, just trying to move it and maybe get some new golf clubs.

PM me for actual pictures and more info.
images

jason bought a new gun today- remington 1100 semi-automatic 12 gauge.

that brings our (his) list to:

walther p-22
glock 19
"grandad's old 16 gauge pump something"
remi 1100 12 gauge
...and a s&w bodyguard .380 on the way soon, just waiting for the deal to come through.

remington 1100 12 gauge out, Reuger 1022 in. made $50 on that deal.
S&W AR15 joining the fleet on wednesday (as per shipping notifications).

remington 1100 12 gauge out, Reuger 1022 in. made $50 on that deal.
S&W AR15 joining the fleet on wednesday (as per shipping notifications).

Let me know what y'all think about the S&W AR15. I've kind of been wanting an AR15 but can't decide and don't want to spend over $1,000 on something I can't hunt with.

Let me know what y'all think about the S&W AR15. I've kind of been wanting an AR15 but can't decide and don't want to spend over $1,000 on something I can't hunt with.

will do. he did a LOT of research and aked quite a few people we've come to respect (wrt guns) about differences, etc. hoping for good things.

Back