• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Guns

Browning .280 Stalker
7 mm Mauser
Browning BPS 10 gauge
Remington 870 Express 12 gauge pump

10 ga BPS would kick like a MF. You are more manly than I, it appears.

Love the .270. Had plans to get one this year, but I didn't get drawn for an elk tag in Arizona.

For deer and elk with the same gun I recommend a 30.06. 270 is just barely enuff for elk IMO.

Last edited:
cool. thanks for the responses. just wondered because it seemed like a lot of talk on it, and i wasnt sure how prevalent it was for normal citizens to carry regularly. sounds like a lot of it is for ease of transport/etc.

Still need to turn in my application for mine. I just want to be able to put it in the glove box or console if I want. Mine is a full size hand gun so it won't conceal unless I wear a big coat. It does make it easier to purchase more guns.

For deer and elk with the same gun I recommend a 30.06. 270 is just barely enuff for elk IMO.

IMO both calibers are barely enough for larger game like elk. Did a lot of research when I bought my hunting rifles, and the energy produced by both at 200 yards is pretty close, the 30-06 heavier bullet offset by 270 higher muzzle velocity. I believe the 7mm Mag is the caliber of choice for hunting in the Western US.

Went with the 270 because it's very flat shooting and doesn't have much recoil so my wife isn't shy about shooting it.

how many of you have ccps? how often do you carry and where? is there any reasoning behind it? just wondering because i was surprised to see how many reference it.

I have my carry permit. I carry almost daily everywhere it is allowed. My reasoning for doing so is personal protection.

IMO both calibers are barely enough for larger game like elk. Did a lot of research when I bought my hunting rifles, and the energy produced by both at 200 yards is pretty close, the 30-06 heavier bullet offset by 270 higher muzzle velocity. I believe the 7mm Mag is the caliber of choice for hunting in the Western US.

Went with the 270 because it's very flat shooting and doesn't have much recoil so my wife isn't shy about shooting it.

One of the main reasons I like the 270. Personally, I'm not going to shoot much past 200 yards, so it has plenty of energy out that far. The 270 has proven itself over and over again; it's plenty strong enough for elk. In Northern Arizona where we like to hunt, most shots are inside 200 yards and I have the utmost confidence in my abilities and the round to knock a bull down.

I fired a gun once at Wake - some shooting range down there - think it was a Glock but not positive...

Other than that, I offer nothing to this conversation. Continue...

10 ga BPS would kick like a MF. You are more manly than I, it appears.

You'd be surprised how little recoil it has and I even got the 28" barrel. The only time I ever noticed was a day when the geese kept falling in on our spread and it was non-stop action. My shoulder was pretty sore by the end of the hunt. I originally wanted the Mossberg 3.5 inch 12 as a dual duck/goose but realized it was pretty clunky for a duck blind so I went with the 10.

thanks to this thread and the posted pictures of mausers, Jason loves me just a little bit more. He was looking at the classifieds on his gun forum yesterday and i hear him say "WHAT? why is that so expensive?" and I glance over at his screen and say "oh, it's a Mauser."

he looks at me, totally dumbfounded with a bit of admiration in his eye... and i nonchalantly got up and got him a beer.
it was probably top 5 in the 'most impressive things my GF has done' category.

thanks to this thread and the posted pictures of mausers, Jason loves me just a little bit more. He was looking at the classifieds on his gun forum yesterday and i hear him say "WHAT? why is that so expensive?" and I glance over at his screen and say "oh, it's a Mauser."

he looks at me, totally dumbfounded with a bit of admiration in his eye... and i nonchalantly got up and got him a beer.
it was probably top 5 in the 'most impressive things my GF has done' category.

What about the stuff you do in the REI dressing room? That has to be up there.

that's why i said top 5 :)

kriss_super_v.jpg

Saw the guys on Sons of Guns making a red jacket version of the Kriss submachine gun that is being used in the new Total Recall movie. This thing is badass. Rather than forcing the gun backwards, the force is downward which supposedly makes it easier to maintain on target. The thing is straight up badass, and I want one so bad. Its being referred to as the 21st century Thompson.

kriss_super_v.jpg

Saw the guys on Sons of Guns making a red jacket version of the Kriss submachine gun that is being used in the new Total Recall movie. This thing is badass. Rather than forcing the gun backwards, the force is downward which supposedly makes it easier to maintain on target. The thing is straight up badass, and I want one so bad. Its being referred to as the 21st century Thompson.

Wasn't that gun in the game Goldeneye? I think it was called the Strata or something like that. Had a ridiculous rate of fire, iirc...

Back