• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Haas, Simpson and Garcia

Our Club had to go to the ultradwarf bermuda two years ago, It only took 8 weeks and we were playing on them the first week of August. They are damn near perfect now, fast and true, no grain at all.

How has your club been about topdressing them regularly? Bermuda Run's greens were almost unplayably firm for some time because of an improper topdressing schedule.

The greens look awful. The below pic came from Colt Knost yesterday.

7e66e9a6b1cc11e2a72522000a1fb586_7.jpg

That is unreal. Yikes.

They get regularly top dressed to keep them smooth, it is my understanding that they will only continue to get firmer and firmer, much like the greens in Scotland, and that they are at their softest the initial year. Puts a premium on crisp strike of the ball, a well struck ball will hold but a ball without spin( out of rough as example ) will not hold. You have to plan your shot into the green.

Greens are rough, no sun at all to dry them out

Really hope Eagle Pointe lands the 2017 Wells Fargo Championship.

That would be epic. I know a bunch of guys who play in the amateur event out there every fall who gush about how awesome that place is.

Is Porters Neck any good?

Ouch at the green shoot. Looks like they have had some issues. Like LK said, i'm shocked a club with QH's resources let that happen so close to such a big toureny. The GF got us passes for Saturday so i'll get a first hand look at them this weekend. Hoping for a great weekend, always a great field. Sucks Tiger and DJ aren't playing but more than enough talent to make up for that.

I'll be out there Saturday as well.

From what I've been reading the greens suffered from bacteria wilt for years. They had tons of resources and were able to fight it off most years, but the rough spring weather this year finally pushed them over the edge.

I don't really understand any of that...just relaying what I've read from some greenskeepers. This would be a great thread for turfg to post on.

I'm sure they are playable. From what I've read the greens are mostly fine, but patches of them resemble the above photo and they will avoid putting pins there.

It's been a rough spring growing season for bent grass at many clubs, but given the resources at QH the above situation is simply unbelievable.

I wonder how often the monday qualifier tournament is played on greens that are in much better condition than the main tournament is played on?

False and Falser

I was caddying for the Monday pro-am and the best looking greens out there are the ones they brought in. talked to the guy working on one of the repaired ones and he said that he "would rather have people putt on the new grass than the old grass"

I also golf right across the street on bent grass and same goes for most in Charlotte from what I've heard, perfect greens.

The real story about the greens is that they got a new greenskeeper and he skinned the greens 6 weeks ago. (possibly for a member-member)

Last edited:
That would be epic. I know a bunch of guys who play in the amateur event out there every fall who gush about how awesome that place is.

Is Porters Neck any good?

Yeah, I've never been out there but from all reports I've heard it's a pretty amazing place. I have my fingers crossed on a round out there in early June.

I've also heard great things about Porters Neck but never played there myself either.

How has your club been about topdressing them regularly? Bermuda Run's greens were almost unplayably firm for some time because of an improper topdressing schedule.

Not any more boss. I made a ball mark the other day. All you have to do is hit 300 yard drives and gap wedges. Seriously, they are better but you have ten square foot targets to hit. If you hit a down slope on a green from 150 you are screwed. That's one small reason we have high handicaps out here. The other is reading the damn things. I'm getting the hang of it but damn. Left is right and right is left. It gets a little crazy.

Not any more boss. I made a ball mark the other day. All you have to do is hit 300 yard drives and gap wedges. Seriously, they are better but you have ten square foot targets to hit. If you hit a down slope on a green from 150 you are screwed. That's one small reason we have high handicaps out here. The other is reading the damn things. I'm getting the hang of it but damn. Left is right and right is left. It gets a little crazy.

Did you take a picture of the ball mark? I need photo evidence.

My friend Jack Fields from Southern Pines made it out of the Monday qualifier. Thinking about driving down from DC tonight to cheer him on tomorrow.

RE: Eagle Point

I would like that too, love that course, but I cannot imagine logisitically how you would get people in an out of that two lane road? barges down the intracoastal?

Relative to how fast the Bacterial wilt can effect your greens, the year ours died they were perfect May 1 of that year and literally brown and gone May 21. It was amazing but just a problem with bent greens this far south. The bermuda will be much more serviceable.

Anybody follow this group this morning? It appears Haas took 3 different penalty strokes on 7 to make a 9 on the hole. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
RE: Eagle Point

I would like that too, love that course, but I cannot imagine logisitically how you would get people in an out of that two lane road? barges down the intracoastal?

I don't see Wells Fargo being very big on moving the tournament that far from it's East Coast HQ either. That said, I'm sure the marketing folks who work on my floor here would love the chance to spend most of their early spring in Wilmington.

Back