• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hartman out indefinitely

It not even simple "we needed to blitz more." It was basic assignments. There were numerous times The LB and S covered the same gap on run plays, with the S aggressively coming downhill. So, many times, when the play went A gap, it seemed the only player covering the gap was a DL and when the DL who had that responsibility was beat, double teamed, or trapped, a run up the middle sprang for 15+ yards b/c both the LB and S both aggressively plugged the B and/or C gap. Either that was a gross misunderstanding of assignment/role by the players or the scheme took them out of position. Basically, the way everything was schemed, if we didn't have 100% decision making AND execution, we got gutted for a big gain. There was way too little margin for error from the get go with play design for our defense to be successful, ESPECIALLY with the # of plays they were expected to play. I think it had less to do with tiredness (although that is a factor) as more plays = more times for something to go wrong. And when it went wrong, it went horribly wrong.

This is also why the hallmark of our defense the last few years was to get 2-3 stops, let up a big play, and then make a few more stops/fall apart. There is just too much going on/too many moving parts/too many breakdown points in the scheme.

Cam had a decent post a while back about some of our defensive philosophy and how it compounded our issues - couldn't find it on a search.

This is on point. The part about LB and S covering same gaps etc. has been an issue - will be corrected this year I hope.

yeah, that was my point. Tiredness is a factor, but our scheme did not set them up to succeed. It was feast or famine, not even so much bend don't break.

what were the benefits of that defensive scheme given it required perfect execution to be successful?

what were the benefits of that defensive scheme given it required perfect execution to be successful?

Against a one dimensional passing offense like UVA it worked pretty well. Teams with good running games and/or mobile QBs had way more success. (SU, UL, uNC, Army)

In theory (this is based on schemes I’ve seen and Conor/Les/Cam who actually see practice can correct/supplement this b/c I don’t know the particularities of our scheme), it is the defensive version of the RPO - the defense reacts as a unit to multiple reads.

When done well, it allows a base defense to be responsive to any offense. The upside is flexibility/consistency - it takes a little of the DC trying to guess the OC’a play and call a counter outbid the equation, b/c the defense (with some wrinkles) can adjust if the fly to counter any offense.

The downside it that rather than having a single assignment/read based in the play call, the D has several reads that dictate action, and if someone makes the wrong read, it opens up a big hole in the D.

In theory (this is based on schemes I’ve seen and Conor/Les/Cam who actually see practice can correct/supplement this b/c I don’t know the particularities of our scheme), it is the defensive version of the RPO - the defense reacts as a unit to multiple reads.

When done well, it allows a base defense to be responsive to any offense. The upside is flexibility/consistency - it takes a little of the DC trying to guess the OC’a play and call a counter outbid the equation, b/c the defense (with some wrinkles) can adjust if the fly to counter any offense.

The downside it that rather than having a single assignment/read based in the play call, the D has several reads that dictate action, and if someone makes the wrong read, it opens up a big hole in the D.

Agree with your last few posts, Thunderbolt. The fact that we would routinely rush three and drop our LBs into space on third down screamed scheme not personnel issues, but I’m not knowledgeable enough about our overall scheme to say it definitively. I do know that Hemphill is now the safeties coach at Duke and Luke Masterson just made the 53 man roster for the Raiders. I don’t think they’d sign someone who isn’t good enough to play at that level. Masterson was by far our best LB, but he too was constantly out of position against many teams who had a solid rushing attack and/or a mobile QB. Hope Lambert has the guys ready…we have talent on that side of the ball for sure.

Have not read through the entire thread but saw somewhere else that a blood clot was reported. Any thoughts that it could be vaccine related?

Have not read through the entire thread but saw somewhere else that a blood clot was reported. Any thoughts that it could be vaccine related?

Because people are famously getting blood clots more than a year after they got the COVID vaccine?

I’m sorry, you are right. There have been zero incidents of random medical conditions occurring following vaccination and definitely not an increase in sudden cardiac deaths among athletes.

The vast, vast majority of side effects from vaccination happen in the days and weeks following the jab. It’s a minuscule chance that Hartman had no issues from the vaccination, and now all of a sudden has side effects a year later.

It’s actually much more likely (and it’s still just a exceedingly small chance) that he caught COVID over the summer, had super mild symptoms because of being vaccinated, but the mild case of COVID made him temporarily hyper coagulable.

Also, it may not even be a blood clot. I can’t imagine why anyone would care about disclosing a blood clot 🤷‍♂️

Probably because once you do everyone who stayed at a holiday Inn express last night would chime in with their expert treatment plan and return timetable

I’m sorry, you are right. There have been zero incidents of random medical conditions occurring following vaccination and definitely not an increase in sudden cardiac deaths among athletes.

I think you may be reading misleading social media posts. There has not been an increase in sudden cardiac deaths among athletes. Could you provide the link where you read this?

If it is a blood clot (very likely), given his history it's almost certainly not vaccine related.

But, shouldn’t we at least ask the questions?

Sure, “Medical Doctors” say one thing, but everyone should do his own research.

Not saying vaccine or just Covid, but definitely more stories of it. Included YouTube below of a Dr. That has been great since start of pandemic with very fact based and science based info and stats, but interesting stats on excess deaths this year even compared to last 2 years with Covid deaths. Whether from spike proteins from Covid or vaccine who knows but interesting recent trends for certain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wLu98NygrA

Back