• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has Coach Forbes or AD Currie Released A Statement Yet?

Don't want to get the guy fired. Let's just say the statement people saw on here he was clearly holding back from what he really wanted to say.

Oof I feel way less secure about the potential Iowa situation after seeing that…

Buzzer beaters are a very inefficient way to win games. Do Not Want.

Yeah, our season would have been even worse if not for buzzer beaters vs. Utah Valley, App State, & Syracuse.

I think the especially frustrating thing here is, that the last time we were competent at basketball, which we are now - competent but not good or great, a 23 win ACC team would no doubt be in the field of 64 and a 19 win team would no doubt be in the NIT. Odom went to the post season 11 straight years on those kinds of regular season records, or worse. In our 12 years of suck the world of CBB changed dramatically and most of us were unaware because our team was so wildly irrelevant.

I think most of us have been keeping up with the changes. Major conferences are larger. Expansion watered down ACC basketball. Every team can get on TV so there isn’t as much of a recruiting advantage for major conference teams. ACC games besides UNC and Duke don’t get on network TV and few even get on ESPN. Top recruits have more options than going to college for a year. Increasing prominence of metrics and bracketology. There are plenty more changes as well. But even knowing all that, I don’t think anybody thought we’d be at the point where an ACC team has to get 26+ wins to feel safe about making the tournament.

Last edited:
I think most of us have been keeping up with the changes. Major conferences are larger. Expansion watered down ACC basketball. Every team can get on TV so there isn’t as much of a recruiting advantage for major conference teams. ACC games besides UNC and Duke don’t get on network TV and few even get on ESPN. Top recruits have more options than going to college for a year. Increasing prominence of metrics and bracketology. There are plenty more changes as well. But even knowing all that, I don’t think anybody thought we’d be at the point where an ACC has to get 26+ wins to feel safe about making the tournament.
I mean, it doesn't have to be this way. It's not like the ACC is facing a conspiracy or is getting shit on in the eyes of the media.

They need to win games out of conference and field better teams.

Nobody is feeling sorry for the ACC, and it's not a situation where we can't get out of this funk because nobody respects the conference as a whole. The ACC could kill it, collectively, in the portal this off-season and then get back up to the 3rd or 4th best conference.

You just can't overcome 6 sub-120 teams in KenPom (5 worse than 167th) when that makes up nearly half of your conference games and a third of your schedule.

I think most of us have been keeping up with the changes. Major conferences are larger. Expansion watered down ACC basketball. Every team can get on TV so there isn’t as much of a recruiting advantage for major conference teams. ACC games besides UNC and Duke don’t get on network TV and few even get on ESPN. Top recruits have more options than going to college for a year. Increasing prominence of metrics and bracketology. There are plenty more changes as well. But even knowing all that, I don’t think anybody thought we’d be at the point where an ACC has to get 26+ wins to feel safe about making the tournament.
Yea. I also think the increasing media coverage and overall hype surrounding NCAA football has helped a lot of schools that were "traditionally" thought of as football schools. These schools also happen to be in the conferences with the most robust and lucrative TV deals (the SEC, Big 10, etc.) and with plenty of underlying booster support for things like NIL.

I mean, the Big East is doing fine and they don't even have football. They also don't have an ESPN deal and all their games are on FS1.

Yeah. That’s another change. It used to be either/or. Football school or basketball school. Now the SEC is both when Kentucky used to be the only basketball school and Florida had high points of doing both.

27, the changes I mentioned help explain why the ACC is so bad. The ACC can’t coast on rep anymore. There are 15 mouths to feed and all of them have to be good enough in order for boost each team.

Back