• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has the #buzzout movement been struck a fatal blow?

To answer the OP, going from 0-fer against the top 79 to 1-fer* isn't a movement killer. As liveanddiedeac mentioned upthread, Staak had a more impressive win against UNC but that didn't stop #Staakout.

*ETA I didn't notice on firebz.com that this was a "first 75 games" stat, not an "as of now" stat, so he went 1-fer (UVA this year) to 2-fer, a 100% improvement.

Last edited:
but if Thomas stays a monster, don't you think that would be something that would attract a top tier coach?

Exactly. All of a sudden, this job got a lot more attractive. Mitchell. The emergence of Devin. Maybe CMM coming out of his shell. A deep class of freshman role players...

7f821e5410d27e60cc269e96de4633af.jpg

To answer the OP, going from 0-fer against the top 79 to 1-fer isn't a movement killer. As liveanddiedeac mentioned upthread, Staak had a more impressive win against UNC but that didn't stop #Staakout.

Top 79? Why use that number? Did he beat #80 or something so it didn't fit in with the theme? His record against quality opponents has been crap to date, so why chisel the numbers to make them worse than they already are?

Top 79? Why use that number? Did he beat #80 or something so it didn't fit in with the theme? His record against quality opponents has been crap to date, so why chisel the numbers to make them worse than they already are?

I'm simply quoting from http://www.firebz.com/FireBz/Comparisons.html. Take your questions to whomever compiled that data, and/or research for yourself what the record against #80 has been these past 3 years.

Even before last night, there was and is really no use in rooting for [Redacted] to be fired. As others have said, the better bet is that [Redacted] is here for 4-5 years and leaves on his own accord as soon as the team is decent enough so that he can exit while purporting to have "returned the program" to respectability. He's never really stayed at any one job that long--voluntarily or otherwise--and given his age, the inevitable conclusion to Wellman's tenure as AD, and the fact that [Redacted] is clearly aware of the fanbase's overall hostility towards him, I think it's much more likely that he resigns the minute we qualify for significant postseason play.

At bottom, this is a guy who loves leaving a place as soon as it's in relatively good shape and then taking credit for whatever additional good occurs afterward. I think it's even more likely he sings the same verse at Wake.

Double post. (I'd offer an apology but given the state of flux of the board, this one really isn't my fault, honest.)

In year 1 we beat Iowa who was #80. This year we've beaten UVA and now State who are currently #39 and #37, respectively.

Anyone see a scenario where a modicum of success could allow Ron to claim victory and change staffs? I have a hard time believing he truly still thinks Bz is the long term guy, and was sticking to his guns because his back was against the wall.

Still Buzzout...reason being I've always thought [Redacted] has a ceiling as a middle of the pack, bubble team kind of coach (our very own Herb Sendek/Sidney Lowe). A very depressed ACC where nobody is good is helping [Redacted] get to that ceiling faster than anyone expected. Our Deacs will languish in mediocrity in the meantime. I mean, let's face it...it's a sad day when our floor is getting rushed for beating the Wolfpack. That would have been unthinkable three years ago.

Still Buzzout...reason being I've always thought [Redacted] has a ceiling as a middle of the pack, bubble team kind of coach (our very own Herb Sendek/Sidney Lowe). A very depressed ACC where nobody is good is helping [Redacted] get to that ceiling faster than anyone expected. Our Deacs will languish in mediocrity in the meantime. I mean, let's face it...it's a sad day when our floor is getting rushed for beating the Wolfpack. That would have been unthinkable three years ago.

In 2007 we rushed the floor when we beat UVA.

Exactly. All of a sudden, this job got a lot more attractive. Mitchell. The emergence of Devin. Maybe CMM coming out of his shell. A deep class of freshman role players...

7f821e5410d27e60cc269e96de4633af.jpg

Don't forget the stellar academics and his family's views on education and community service...

But, officially, welcome to the club. Play some Chaka Khan.

Last edited:
State was picked #1 in the conference in the preseason rankings and was ranked in the Top 20 coming into last night. That's not a "sad" moment to rush the court. It would have been sad if we'd rushed the court after beating BC.

Ha. That was one of my criticisms from a couple friends of mine...

And bullshit that Wood "missed a bunch of open 3's he normally makes." He missed one open 3 at the end of the game, and he missed it because Travis and Rountree never let him get into a rhythm at any point in the game.

Hate [Redacted] or not, trying to belittle this win or downplay the effort of our players is pretty pathetic.

Talent and inexperience are not legitimate excuses anymore.

This board berates the students - and fans- for not showing up, not being involved and having no energy. They have a moment of unexpected Zen vs an instate rival and they get blasted for it. Eventually a game like this will not get the court rushed- last night it was good - maybe they will come back and help us get some home court advantage like we used to have. A lot of pent up emotion let out for Deac fans who don't post their rants here! :)

I'll sell it to you this way. Any dynamic improvement in our ACC record and RPI and all that this year is a direct reflection on the great job that Randolph Childress has done on staff. He's the only coach we added this year and we are performing light years better than last year. It has to be Chill (and several frosh)

Chill is now much more likely to land on his feet as a coach despite/because of his commitment to Wake this year. Not many like to tie themselves to a sinking or listless ship. Chill did.

12 wins is likely? Something like this seems about right:

@ Georgia Tech - W
vs #1 Duke - L
@Maryland - L
@North Carolina - L
vs Florida State - W
@ Boston College - W
vs Georgia Tech - W
vs #25 Miami (FL) - L
@ Florida State - L
vs Maryland - W
@ #18 North Carolina State - L
vs Virginia Tech - W

16-14 (9-9)

That definitely gets him another year, and it should imo.

Pass the bong. You've had enough.

This board berates the students - and fans- for not showing up, not being involved and having no energy. They have a moment of unexpected Zen vs an instate rival and they get blasted for it. Eventually a game like this will not get the court rushed- last night it was good - maybe they will come back and help us get some home court advantage like we used to have. A lot of pent up emotion let out for Deac fans who don't post their rants here! :)

We also have a coach who berates our player when they play bad, but takes all the credit when they win. Very happy for our team and fans. Still want Bzzz gone!

Agree completely. Success with Buzz means moving out of the Bzdelick zone and into the Sendek zone. This is how mediocre coaches hang on for so long. They are mediocre and then win a big game here and there, and suddenly there's "hope for next year." Keep in mind that this was NOT a big game. It's not a big game because we suck and are irrelevant, with no hopes at championships. This was big for State because they lost to a shitty team and they were supposed to be good.
State was picked #1 in the conference in the preseason rankings and was ranked in the Top 20 coming into last night. That's not a "sad" moment to rush the court. It would have been sad if we'd rushed the court after beating BC.

Yes, it is embarrassing to rush the court. Not just because it's State, but they are not that good, and we are awful. We rushed the court because we upset an underwhelming ranked team and because we didn't suck for once.

Fire Grobe and his overpaid wallet. Give Shaka all the money in the world. I'll take Shaka and the added dollars in the basketball program over an overpaid Grobe any day. Let's face it, we're stuck in mediocrity in football, and I have come to accept that. Maybe a 9-3 season every once in a while but mostly medicority. We have a chance to be elite in basketball though. Give Shaka whatever he wants.

Back