• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hate Crime : it's a Knockout.

Having an opinion about an issue that involves race does not make one a racist.

Um, crossing the street every time you see a black person is racist. Condoning that behavior is racist. It's way more detrimental to society than any phony knockout game.

The only videos I have seen are black assailants. That may be a complete misrepresentation of reality but those are the videos that are floating around from news reports in the northeast.

I have not seen statistical data on the attacks. The circumstantial evidence is where the racial profiling is coming from. I have not seen anything to prove or disprove the videos as an accurate representation of the phenomenon.

Also, show me these statistics. With 100% black and 100% white. It's not even for certain that this is indeed a "trend" and not just a coincidence.

I'm not sure i should continue to discuss the matter with someone who is only going to distill my entire point of view down to "omg racism!!!111"

I said "nearly.". I already cited the outlier case (Arab vs Jew) , but I have not seen one other instance of anything other than black on white in the reporting on these issues. Even if the situation were reversed (white on black) it would still be a race issue and a hate crime.

Um, crossing the street every time you see a black person is racist. Condoning that behavior is racist. It's way more detrimental to society than any phony knockout game.

I am not sure this is accurate. It may mean that you have unwarranted fears based on on misinformation but a physical reaction of being afraid does not make someone a racist. Misinformed yes, and potentially a racist, but not necessarily a racist. Could just mean you scare easily and saw news reports of black youth beating up elderly white women.

From Slate:

"An important clarification: the game definitely exists, and has been around for at least a couple of years. I'm not claiming the game doesn't exist. But the idea that it's reached epidemic levels, or that it's only being played by young black people, is a fallacy. As Alan Noble convincingly writes, "Analyzing data is not as simple as watching some YouTube videos and Googling 'knockout game.'" And when it comes to the knockout game's supposed popularity, the data is almost entirely anecdotal:

Here’s the fascinating thing about this “spreading” trend: nobody seems to have any evidence that it’s spreading, or that it’s new, or that it’s racially motivated, or that black youths are the ones typically responsible, or that whites are typically targeted. This hasn’t stopped Mark Steyn, Thomas Sowell, and Matt Walsh from describing this specifically as a crime committed by blacks against whites, CNN from claiming that it is “spreading,” or Alec Torres at NRO from say it is “evidently increasing [in] popularity.”
This is precisely the type of story meant to animate the deepest recesses of our lizard brains—"Danger lurks around every corner! Identify your enemy!" At the epicenter of this narrative is Colin Flaherty, a writer for WorldNetDaily who probably has a Google alert set up for "black suspect." He's made it his life's work to report any single crime perpetrated by a black person in the U.S. against a white person. In a recent blog post, he lists as evidence six separate crimes in Philadelphia over the course of two years, which share nothing in similarity except for the fact that they involved black people.

Imagine if another national "journalist" started doing the same for, say, any crime committed in Alabama, or any arson charge in the country. People would start to think Alabama was going through a crime epidemic, or that arson was becoming all the rage with criminals. That would be ridiculous, because it's ridiculous to assume that a few unrelated counts of arson make arson an epidemic. But when you inject race into the equation, it conveniently aligns with the assumptions of people who happen to be racist. That's the sort of twisted logic that justifies why more than half of the U.S. prison population is made up by black and Hispanic people, even though they comprise a quarter of the total population.

Crime happens to every type of person, and is perpetrated by every type of person. What makes the false narrative of the knockout game—or any "black mob violence" story—crop up every year is the fact that some people will always believe the color of someone's skin predisposes him to commit a crime. When a few YouTube videos are able to convince terrified white folks that young black people are dangerous, they may as well assume that all cats can play the keyboard."

Sorry guys, have to hop in the car for a 6 our drive to Kiawah and warmer weather.

It could be tomorrow before I get a chance to return to this. Not even sure I should given how sensitive the issue is and how emotionally charged it makes people.

Keep your eyes peeled for Asian drivers! I heard on the Internet that they're terrible drivers lolz!

I'm not sure i should continue to discuss the matter with someone who is only going to distill my entire point of view down to "omg racism!!!111"

I said "nearly.". I already cited the outlier case (Arab vs Jew) , but I have not seen one other instance of anything other than black on white in the reporting on these issues. Even if the situation were reversed (white on black) it would still be a race issue and a hate crime.

From the link in the OP:

Two weeks ago, a 78-year-old Jewish woman in Brooklyn was punched in the face by teens while walking down her street,

In September, Ralph Santiago, 46, of Hoboken, N.J., died from injuries resulting from a suspected knockout attack
(Santiago could definitely be Hispanic)

And earlier in May, Elex Murphy, now 20, was sentenced to life in prison plus 25 years in St. Louis for killing a Vietnamese immigrant as part the game in 2011.

From another article:

While some of those attacked have been white, and some suspected attackers black, experts said the incidents are more about preying on the seemingly helpless than race or religion.

Keep your head on a swivel down there. There might be some black folks roaming around Kiawah looking to knock out a honkey.

I don't think most people give a rat's ass about what is or is not detrimental to society if they are potentially the one getting knocked out. Do you know what would be less detrimental to society? Howabout not just randomly knocking people unconscious, that would likely be a good start. But keep on blaming the potential victims in the name of political correctness.

From the link in the OP:

(Santiago could definitely be Hispanic)

From another article:

It does seem the the large majority of perpetrators in these crimes seem to be black though...no? We have the example of one arab guy hitting a jewish guy...other than that do we have any other examples of white kids punching out black victims?

There does seem to be some sort of correlation between young black males and this game. Just going on circumstantial evidence (news reports I have seen). Again that could easily be shaded. Does anyone have any real stats on this?

I don't think most people give a rat's ass about what is or is not detrimental to society if they are potentially the one getting knocked out. Do you know what would be less detrimental to society? Howabout not just randomly knocking people unconscious, that would likely be a good start. But keep on blaming the potential victims in the name of political correctness.

How many examples of this have there been? A dozen? How many black people are there in America? Millions and millions.

This isn't political correctness. It's fucking racist. And condoning it is just as racist. End of story.

There's a serious correlation between white males and serial killers, but I doubt y'all assholes cross the street when you see a white dude.

I was wondering to myself this morning on the bus how terrified some of y'all would be riding the 17 bus with me every day from South Philly.

Gas stop...

Nowhere did I say I was the one crossing the street. What I did say was that I understand why some people might hear about this, and in response they might choose to live in fear by avoiding young black males. I didn't think that choosing to understand why some people might respond fearfully to this issue is "racist," but clearly some people interpret it that way and I'm sorry if I have any of you that impression.

Back on the road...I'll let you know if I see any shifty looking youths in Kiawah.

Found this pretty interesting article....lists some research that has been done on this 'game'. I googled 'knockout game perpetrators race'. Most results were dumb, but this one seemed to actually look into the facts and did not try to sensationalize it. I have no idea if 'The Epoch Times' is a right wing / left wing hatchet news service by the way. I have never visited the site.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/372...perpetrators-of-the-game-mostly-black-people/

Article seems to have some conflicting information. Offers evidence for a mostly african american rooted crime, but also gives testimonies of perpetrators saying they have seen all races commit the crime. Just an interesting phenomenon. Shows a true rise in the moral decay of society that this has escalated lately. It takes a cold SOB to cold cock a mom walking her kids down the street.

Shows a true rise in the moral decay of society that this has escalated lately.

Also circumstantial. Random crimes happen to everyone, everywhere. It's not a new thing, and it's certainly not a black thing. And I'd argue if anything society has become more moral -- not less.

Back