• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hate Crime : it's a Knockout.

Gas stop...

Nowhere did I say I was the one crossing the street. What I did say was that I understand why some people might hear about this, and in response they might choose to live in fear by avoiding young black males. I didn't think that choosing to understand why some people might respond fearfully to this issue is "racist," but clearly some people interpret it that way and I'm sorry if I have any of you that impression.

Back on the road...I'll let you know if I see any shifty looking youths in Kiawah.

As 2&2 pointed out when this subject came up in a thread on the pit, don't be offended when white people cross the street to avoid black youths. Is it necessary to be suspicious of every young black male? No, but I can certainly understand why people would hear about this "game" and ratchet up their fear a bit. And el-oh-fucking-el at this being labeled a "game."

Doesn't fit.

Also circumstantial. Random crimes happen to everyone, everywhere. It's not a new thing, and it's certainly not a black thing. And I'd argue if anything society has become more moral -- not less.

:tard:

Show some evidence to back it up. Bet you can't.

As we're more connected via the information age, we're much more informed about what's going on around us. That's why it appears as if things are getting worse. (Or that there's some epidemic of wild black youths prowling the streets looking to knock out white women.) But crime, intolerance, etc., has actually decreased pretty steadily. And there's been much research to show that over a very long perspective, human beings are better to each other as time progresses. This isn't really debatable.

The narrative though is that things are getting soooo bad, not like the good old days when people knew their neighbors!

As we're more connected via the information age, we're much more informed about what's going on around us. That's why it appears as if things are getting worse. (Or that there's some epidemic of wild black youths prowling the streets looking to knock out white women.) But crime, intolerance, etc., has actually decreased pretty steadily. And there's been much research to show that over a very long perspective, human beings are better to each other as time progresses. This isn't really debatable.

The narrative though is that things are getting soooo bad, not like the good old days when people knew their neighbors!

Maybe they didn't know their neighbors, but they sure as hell knew they weren't colored folks!

I don't think most people give a rat's ass about what is or is not detrimental to society if they are potentially the one getting knocked out. Do you know what would be less detrimental to society? Howabout not just randomly knocking people unconscious, that would likely be a good start. But keep on blaming the potential victims in the name of political correctness.

This is just silly. You're labelling every person walking down the street as a "potential victim." If you do that, you can justify any behavior.

I mean, have we stopped to consider that the kids punching people were worried that those people they hurt might rob them? Stop blaming the potential victim!

This is just silly. You're labelling every person walking down the street as a "potential victim." If you do that, you can justify any behavior.

Careful now. He was labeling every WHITE person walking down the street as a potential victim.

Our definition of morality is so vastly different it would be a fruitless exercise. I base morality on a Biblical standard. If you think US society is growing closer to the Biblical definition of morality over time then I am not sure what I can say. But unless I am mistaken I would guess you don't define morality by the inerrant word of God as defined in the Bible.

Lets just agree to disagree and leave it at that. You think the US is becoming more moral, I say the exact opposite because our definition of morality is vastly different at the core. Either of us attempting to change our core definition of morality would be a fruitless exercise and would merely result in both of us preaching to a deaf audience.

Regarding this 'knockout' deal. I think it is a symptom of a corrupt society. The world isn't coming to an end because some punk kids punched an elderly lady, but it isn't a good sign, and it isn't a 'meh' moment.

Last edited:
FWIW, my dad works in downtown Dallas. Last Wednesday, before this "knock out" stuff became national news, the DPD and an FBI consultant came to his company's staff meeting and debriefed all the employees about these knock out groups. According to my dad, their exact words were to be on the look out for "groups of black teens" walking around downtown looking to knock people out. Someone asked if teens of other races were involved, they said yes, but the majority of the cases thy had seen or heard about had come from groups of mostly young African American males. Obviously, this could be circumstantial and isolated to certain cities, but it is worth considering. Doesn't make people who live and work in downtown Dallas a racist if they take precautions based on what a PD has told you, at least IMHO. Weird stuff all around, though. Don't understand the thrill of knocking out some poor schmuck at random.

Our definition of morality is so vastly different it would be a fruitless exercise. I base morality on a Biblical standard. If you think US society is growing closer to the Biblical definition of morality over time then I am not sure what I can say. But unless I am mistaken I would guess you don't define morality by the inerrant word of God as defined in the Bible.

Lets just agree to disagree and leave it at that. You think the US is becoming more moral, I say the exact opposite because our definition of morality is vastly different at the core. Either of us attempting to change our core definition of morality would be a fruitless exercise and would merely result in both of us preaching to a deaf audience.

Regarding this 'knockout' deal. I think it is a symptom of a corrupt society. The world isn't coming to an end because some punk kids punched an elderly lady, but it isn't a good sign, and it isn't a 'meh' moment.

I think people are being much nicer to each other and not hurting each other as much. Is that Biblical?

FWIW, my dad works in downtown Dallas. Last Wednesday, before this "knock out" stuff became national news, the DPD and an FBI consultant came to his company's staff meeting and debriefed all the employees about these knock out groups. According to my dad, their exact words were to be on the look out for "groups of black teens" walking around downtown looking to knock people out. Someone asked if teens of other races were involved, they said yes, but the majority of the cases thy had seen or heard about had come from groups of mostly young African American males. Obviously, this could be circumstantial and isolated to certain cities, but it is worth considering. Doesn't make people who live and work in downtown Dallas a racist if they take precautions based on what a PD has told you, at least IMHO. Weird stuff all around, though. Don't understand the thrill of knocking out some poor schmuck at random.

Thanks for sharing. This seems to confirm most of the news reporting that is being done.

What is happening in the US in 2013 that is less moral than what was happening in the US in 1900?

Regarding the bold, you realize that teenagers have ALWAYS been doing stupid shit to get attention since the beginning of recorded history, right? Do you think that back in the "good ol' moral days" of the 1800's and early 1900's that there weren't isolated incidents of teenagers and young adults doing some awful shit to other people?

I mean, this is a thread about crime. That's a pretty simple universal standard for morality. One that you brought up. But whatever.

I'm betting you'd find the world we live in is much more moral than it was 25, 50, 100, 200, etc., years back.

This is a really strange story. The FBI and the police are going around to every business in Dallas to make sure people keep a sharp eye out for groups of black people? Is the revolution upon us?!?

I think people are being much nicer to each other and not hurting each other as much. Is that Biblical?

You think morality is being nice. Ok. I don't think being nice really has a lot to do with morality. It may correlate at times, but it really has no bearing on morality. You can be a nice immoral person or a nice moral person. I know a lot of nice people that are living immoral lives. Like I said - my definition and bbzero's (and I am sure yours) are vastly different so it is a fruitless discussion to have. I think we are both pretty clear that we stand on different sides of the chasm and no amount of shouting is going to bring either of us over to the other side :).

Lets just leave it at that and hope that this phenomenon of 'knockout' comes to an end sooner rather than later regardless of race/class/age/etc....

Like I said - my definition and bbzero's (and I am sure yours) are vastly different so it is a fruitless discussion to have.

How do you know what my definition of morality is? And can you provide evidence for how today's society is much less moral in regards to your standards than it was before?

You think morality is being nice. Ok. I don't think being nice really has a lot to do with morality. It may correlate at times, but it really has no bearing on morality. You can be a nice immoral person or a nice moral person. I know a lot of nice people that are living immoral lives. Like I said - my definition and bbzero's (and I am sure yours) are vastly different so it is a fruitless discussion to have. I think we are both pretty clear that we stand on different sides of the chasm and no amount of shouting is going to bring either of us over to the other side :).

Lets just leave it at that and hope that this phenomenon of 'knockout' comes to an end sooner rather than later regardless of race/class/age/etc....

What was Jesus' biggest lesson? Wasn't it "Do unto others as you would have done unto you." How is that not the basis of Christian morality?

Why is your view of morality so vastly different than that?

This is a really strange story. The FBI and the police are going around to every business in Dallas to make sure people keep a sharp eye out for groups of black people? Is the revolution upon us?!?

I have no idea if the DPD is going around to every company, I doubt it. But they obviously think it's a big enough issue if they chose to come debrief the employees of the company he works for. I can ask him if they're going to other companies and report back though. Forgot to mention that the FBI consultant is actually ex FBI and is the head of the building security that my dad works in. It's his job to make employees aware of potential threats.

Back