• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hatfield & McCoys on History Channel

a house i worked on in logan county, WV had a bullet hole in the wall from one of the fights (not verifiable at all, but a lot of neighbors were hatfields so i bought it).

freakin awesome.

They condensed the timeline quite a bit and I think they made up the fact that Devil Anse and Old Man McCoy served in the same unit in the Civil War saving each others lives in the process.

I wish they'd have left that addition out and played up the Logan Wildcats more. That would have been an interesting backstory, and IMO would have probably changed some of the casual viewers impression of Devil Anse. I thought they did a good job at the end, as condensed as it was showing how the fued tormented Ole Ran'l until his death whereas Devil Anse made peace with it.

Really enjoyed the series despite some inaccuracies (the only one I knew before looking it up was that it was clearly not filmed around the real Tug Fork). For anyone interested here are four articles about the series written for the Washington Times by a lady who lives in the southwest Virginia area.
Part one
Part two
Part three
Part four

Also here is one short WSJ interview about the series with Lisa Alther who wrote “Blood Feud: The Hatfields and the McCoys: The Epic Story of Murder and Vengeance.”
Hatfields and McCoys

oooh that rosanne mccoy....

Just set the DVR to tape all three on Saturday. Can't wait to watch 'em.

This may have been the best thing on TV for three nights, but it really wasn't all that good. I used to spend some decent amounts of time on the Va/WV border, and as Stig's articles mentioned, the accents in the show were ridiculous, as was the Romanian countryside and depiction of the towns, compared to that of the area.

I understand dramatic license, but putting Ans and Randall in the same Confederate regiment was just dumb.

Last edited:
Just wanted to note that much of Cold Mountain was also shot in Romania.

Last edited:
Why is that? Does Romania give some sort of incentive to film over there, or are the Appalachians just a nightmare to try and film in due to the terrain? Legends of the Fall was filmed there, so the latter shouldnt be the reason.

I imagine Romania is pretty cheap. Outside of the state and national forests, there's a pretty good bit of development in the Appalachians. A lot of the beauty has been destroyed by powerline easements too. You don't have to worry about that as much in Eastern Europe.

Legends of the Fall was set in Montana and filmed in Canada. It was also filmed 20 years ago.

yeah the accents were pretty bad, and the scenery wasn't super accurate, although I'd say the majority of it could certainly pass for that part of appalachia. i'm way used to terribly inaccurate depictions of the south by hollywood. but the action was intense and there was plenty of shootin and killin and vengence. it wasn't a documentary.

Getting my mid 90s epic movies mixed up. I meant Last of the Mohicans which was mostly filmed in NC.

yeah the accents were pretty bad, and the scenery wasn't super accurate, although I'd say the majority of it could certainly pass for that part of appalachia. i'm way used to terribly inaccurate depictions of the south by hollywood. but the action was intense and there was plenty of shootin and killin and vengence. it wasn't a documentary.

Yeah, but it was on History Channel, not Historical Drama Channel.

Getting my mid 90s epic movies mixed up. I meant Last of the Mohicans which was mostly filmed in NC.

Mmmm, yeah, with Madeleine Stowe. She must like filming in NC, as Revenge is shot in Wilmington. Still, Last of the Mohicans was shot over twenty years ago and was set in New York. I think they probably needed a greater variety of settings than Cold Mountain or Hatfields & McCoys. Still you have to wonder if it would be filmed abroad today.

Just set the DVR to tape all three on Saturday. Can't wait to watch 'em.

me too, but i also recorded the episode before it, which seems more like just a historical synopsis. can anybody tell me if that part is worth watching? or should i just watch the mini-series?

The reason usually given for setting Civil War era movies in Romania versus the Appalachain Mountains is the problem of finding enough extras with the "emaciated" look of the times. Of course, the real reason is it is just cheaper to film in Romania.

Western North Carolina is still a frequently used location for Hollywood movies. The latest one to hit theaters that was filmed here was "The Hunger Games" that came out this spring.

But Hunger Games also needed more modern settings and used Charlotte for that.

Back