• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hedlund replaces Newman

I didn't know until Loh said it on the board but my jaw just about dropped. I thought the whole idea of taking away the OL was so he could focus exclusively on the offense. But we do have co-passing coordinators to help out!

Not really fair to compare Newman to Swank. Swank was pretty much everything you could ask for in a kicker. That said, Newman has really sucked this year. I mean really sucked. Something is going on with his confidence. I'd like to blame it on Lobo since apparently we can.

Agree with the switch, though not really sure why Grobe felt the need to make an announcement versus just make the change on the depth chart.

I can't remember the last time I felt confident when Newman comes onto the field. I feel I've been holding my breath since he he was a frosh. However, this year I'm just expecting a miss.
Hopefully he can get it back because it sounds like he's our most talented kicker at this point.

I figured Swank would be working with the FG kickers since he is on the staff.

Newman is now kicking as bad as his board rep has always been.

I can't remember the last time I felt confident when Newman comes onto the field. I feel I've been holding my breath since he he was a frosh. However, this year I'm just expecting a miss.
Hopefully he can get it back because it sounds like he's our most talented kicker at this point.

Difference between Swank and Newman, when Swank missed the kick against UVa in 2008 it was shock, if and when Newman ever makes a pressure kick it will be a shock.

I figured Swank would be working with the FG kickers since he is on the staff.

Newman is now kicking as bad as his board rep has always been.

Swank has been working the Kinal as well, helping him adjust his mechanics to American style kicking. Supposedly, he's swung towards being too mechanical, but that's somewhat expected when learning something new.

Seriously who the hell is coaching special teams? Nobody knows.

Lobo didn't say he was ST coach, just that his responsibilities with ST increased a lot when he gave up OL. I can't remember where I viewed that interview, or I'd link it. Someone else would have to expand on how ST are being handled this year.

I can't find any threads or articles about the changeover. Am I misremembering or is Lobo really in charge of ST this season and I just can't find the link?

I don't think any one is in "charge of" Special Teams. . .that may be the problem.

I was going to post something identical to what Say Hey posted at the top of page 2 of this thread. . .but I read the comments section to MTOW before visiting this site. There is one, possibly two, people who have posted there indicating that the problem with both kicks was the snap and/or hold.

I can't say that I noticed that when watching the game in real time, but then again, I don't have a very critical eye when it comes to kicking. Anyone else see that?

The second one definitely appeared to be the snap/hold, the first one looked fine on first viewing.

The second one definitely appeared to be the snap/hold, the first one looked fine on first viewing.

Yep- Grobe said that the first one was all on Newman and he just didn't hit it right, and that with the second one there was a snap/hold issue ad he hit it better, but just missed it.

Hiring a kicking scout to scour the US might be less costly to the program than giving away $60K/year scholarships each year to two different guys.

Cost us the Syracuse and Clemson game last year.

Bad misses at UMD and we lose by 5.

This is not basketball - we do not have a bunch of games to straighten things out.

Time to sit and watch for a while I suppose.

My thought as well. His blown PAT at 'cuse cost us the game as well.

Cost us the Syracuse and Clemson game last year.

Bad misses at UMD and we lose by 5.

This is not basketball - we do not have a bunch of games to straighten things out.

Time to sit and watch for a while I suppose.

Posts like this are why I feel the need to defend kickers.

It wasn't Jimmy's fault that we gave up a 15 point 4th quarter lead to Syracuse (or whatever it was); it wasn't Jimmy's fault that our offense absolutely sucked for the entirety of the Maryland game, and it wasn't Jimmy's fault that Clemson receivers play by a different set of rules. It is pretty shitty of you to boil a game down to one play. Yes, in all of those games Jimmy could have been better, but he wasn't the only one.

The nationwide kicking % has been above 70% since 2006. Considering Newman only kicked 22 field goals last season, he wasn't even 2 makes above average. So in 2011 we had a kicker who never really attempted anything past 45 (the nationwide % of 50+ yd kicks is nearly 50%), missed clutch kicks, and was only lauded for his percentage when he was barely above average percentage wise.

Back