• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hedlund replaces Newman

My point is that there are a lot of factors that going into getting good results. You can't just say look at that incomplete pass, or fumble, or int, or missed fg etc and say hey take that guy out. You actually need to understand football to see what is going on.

Yeah, but making or missing a kick is one thing that you can point to as pivotal and important to winning games, especially when it comes down to pressure/end of game situations where Newman has been particularly bad. You either put 3 points on the board or you don't. There's no maybes, there's no alternate outcomes. Once the ball is hiked, it's 3 or 0. It's not the same as dropping a big pass on 1st down at the 50 in the 3rd quarter, because you still have a couple shots from there for the first down and to keep the ball moving. It's more like missing your free throws that would otherwise ice a basketball game. There ARE often specific plays you can point to, no matter how complicated the game, and say they would have almost definitely changed the outcome.

That's the life of a kicker. You are on the field for one thing, to score points. Missing a kick isn't judged the same way as a LB not wrapping up and allowing a RB to get 5 more yards or a QB is misses a throw on 3rd and 4.

Yeah, but making or missing a kick is one thing that you can point to as pivotal and important to winning games, especially when it comes down to pressure/end of game situations where Newman has been particularly bad. You either put 3 points on the board or you don't. There's no maybes, there's no alternate outcomes. Once the ball is hiked, it's 3 or 0. It's not the same as dropping a big pass on 1st down at the 50 in the 3rd quarter, because you still have a couple shots from there for the first down and to keep the ball moving. It's more like missing your free throws that would otherwise ice a basketball game. There ARE often specific plays you can point to, no matter how complicated the game, and say they would have almost definitely changed the outcome.

That's the life of a kicker. You are on the field for one thing, to score points. Missing a kick isn't judged the same way as a LB not wrapping up and allowing a RB to get 5 more yards or a QB is misses a throw on 3rd and 4.

Another valid point but our WHOLE team has consistently played bad at the end of games. No one is stepping up at the end. QB, WR's, Line, Def. Everything becomes more pressurized and I think we all agree there are a lot of pre-kick issues and the pressure is going to amplify them at the end of a game. Everyone on this team has a role and a good teammate will count on his teammates to do their role and not act selfishly. As an ex-kicker it's just hard to watch a talented guy go out there and time and time again give his best and none of the pre-kick issues get addressed by a coaching staff that obviously doesn't have a clue about special teams.

Newman needs to make his kicks, that's the bottom line. Right now he isn't. He was making kicks a few years ago with the same staff that apparently doesn't know anything about special teams.

Newman needs to make his kicks, that's the bottom line. Right now he isn't. He was making kicks a few years ago with the same staff that apparently doesn't know anything about special teams.

A few years ago we had Bechtel as the ls now we have feimster big difference. The snaps were an obvious problem last year he just lucked out and made kicks he wasnt supposed to. The coaches knew about this problem and chose not to address now we are seeing the consequences.

I hope you're not a relative of Newman. You aren't doing him any favors by publicly blaming other players.

The snaps were awful last year, I do recall that. Alex W. saved our ass more than once with his hands.

I let this become pretty distracting from studying.

Last few points.

There is a job to do and it's not getting done. The ball is not going through the uprights. If we want to be accurate and honest about the solution then we must determine what factors are contributing to the problem and what role they are playing in the problem.

I used to kick in High School I've been to all the "elite camps" and I know what needs to be done to convert fgs. I watch all the games as a student and huge fan of Wake and dvr and slow-mo and to my eyes it's not getting done before the kick.

I challenge everyone to try to find a tape to the MD game and watch the missed kicks in slow-motion if possible. It is incredibly obvious and will speak for itself. I don't want to excuse or blame anyone just trying to find a solution to a problem.

Last edited:
If you can't make clutch field goals you shouldn't be allowed to kick period. The Penn State game was completely different this week because they basically said fuck the kicker he sucks we are going for 2, going for it on 4th etc... no trust. Thats the way it is right now with Newman, and it has been that way all year. In the NFL Bill Cundiff sucked dick all game but made a game winning field goal when it mattered and it counted so he keeps his job for now. Can't cut it when you are called upon enjoy the bench.

Summary:

There are 3 parts to the FG kicking game: snap, hold and kick. Obviously, the current combination is not working.

Since the holding has been good; the logical attempt to fix the problem is to change one of the other two pieces. I doubt we have another even close to adequate short snapper on the roster - so that leaves the kicker (who according to incoming rankings in comprable).

I am sure the snapper is getting plenty of practice / attention too if 20 of his 22 snaps have been "bad".

If you can't make clutch field goals you shouldn't be allowed to kick period. The Penn State game was completely different this week because they basically said fuck the kicker he sucks we are going for 2, going for it on 4th etc... no trust. Thats the way it is right now with Newman, and it has been that way all year. In the NFL Bill Cundiff sucked dick all game but made a game winning field goal when it mattered and it counted so he keeps his job for now. Can't cut it when you are called upon enjoy the bench.

(Cundiff has now lost his job)

Exception: Bohannon also played well but didn't get to see as much action as he should have we should utilize him alot more. He's an absolute beast by far the strongest person I've ever worked out with. He should be used on 3rd downs as he is an excellent pass catcher and blocker.

Agree 100% Plus, our TEs have been MIA from the passing game and our receivers other than Camp inconsistent, so throwing to him out of the backfield (or lined up as TE) sounds like a wise strategy.

If you are in college, or any other time in your life for that matter, and you spend free time analyzing every special teams kicking scenario then you need to get a life.

#virgin

I feel like you are arguing with Newman.

Don't really care what you or anyone else thinks, I'm not and it's not really going to matter either way.

Everything I've said is true and is either a statistic or a quote. I asked you guys to watch the tape in slow motion and decide for yourself because it's obvious. If you want to live in ignorance or a false reality that's on you.

Not really trying to say Newman is the greatest kicker to walk the face of the earth or a "love the kicker thread". This is a FOOTBALL thread and with any football play that is not working you try to figure out why. When you look at the tape you say what factors are causing this play not to work then you go about trying to fix them. At least that's how I was coached, it does not appear to be the philosophy of this coaching staff.

Last edited:
The snap and holds are good enough from what I've seen. He kicks a very low ball. Drives it. He's always had this problem. I think the oline does a pretty good job for him.

Wiznosky lost his job as a junior and got it back a few games later. It might be just what he needs, 2-3 weeks to settle down and not have the game pressure to work on mechanics. Every snap and hold is not going to be perfect, Not even at an NFL level. Good kickers make kicks. Its not essential to have a perfect snap or hold. But it does help. Good kickers block that out, and trust the ball will be there, and for the most part, it has. He's just not a great kicker. He was very solid and had a great stretch, but 4 for his last 10. And misses in games where we lost by less than 1 score. Not good enough. Hedlund may only have half the talent of newman, but if he has twice the in game production, I'd take 60% at this point over what Newman is doing THIS YEAR.

Back