• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

@heelsyes says BzzOut at end of year

Wake Will not get any dollars from me until Buzz is out. Although I really want to support Claw

I still don't think we've seen the bottom. Devin is regressing, two of the sophomores will transfer, Shelton Mitchell will probably de-commit, and we have 5 of our scholarships tied up in 2 players coming off significant injuries, a project center, an unranked SG, and a SG that isn't even in the scout database.

I still don't think we've seen the bottom. Devin is regressing, two of the sophomores will transfer, Shelton Mitchell will probably de-commit, and we have 5 of our scholarships tied up in 2 players coming off significant injuries, a project center, an unranked SG, and a SG that isn't even in the scout database.

Let's say that all plays out...we at least have hope assuming we make a good hire. Today we have no hope of actually competing for anything meaningful. I miss those days.

Shelton's parents loved Buzz, but Shelton seemed to like Wake. Most of his other suitors have recruited 2014 PGs, too, so I don't know what he stands to gain by not waiting on a new hire. I could see Rondale moving on if the new staff reads him the writing on the wall. Going into 2014-2015 with 2-5 open scholarships is worth having a shallow rotation with gaping holes in it, IMO...

I doubt that the new coach will honor Cornelius's commitment (if he even committed?) and he never signed a LOI, so I don't think that one will hurt.

Why would Shelton Mitchell decommit?

The reports about Shelton were that he committed to Wake not Buzz and because of Chris Paul. Again, not because of Buzz. Why would he decommit?

1. Devin is regressing.Nothing a good coach can't fix relatively easily. Sophomore slumps are not unusual
2. Two of sophomores will transfer. That's a good thing. We need three to go somewhere else.
3. Shelton Mitchell will probably decommit. He's signed his letter of intent. We don't have to release him and probably won't until he meets the new coach.

The other problems you mentioned can be handled either with transfers or in the case of committed recruits encouraged to look elsewhere if they are really that bad.

Shelton's parents loved Buzz, but Shelton seemed to like Wake. Most of his other suitors have recruited 2014 PGs, too, so I don't know what he stands to gain by not waiting on a new hire. I could see Rondale moving on if the new staff reads him the writing on the wall. Going into 2014-2015 with 2-5 open scholarships is worth having a shallow rotation with gaping holes in it, IMO...

I doubt that the new coach will honor Cornelius's commitment (if he even committed?) and he never signed a LOI, so I don't think that one will hurt.

Buzz did not care about Cornelius's heart.

I was simply outlining a worst case scenario.

I'll add in that we are trusting Wellman to hire the right guy. He's going to tank the hiring to make BZ look better and move on to his NCAA gig.

ETA: Yes I'm cranky tonight.

Last edited:
He should have stuck by his guns and forced Ron to accept his resignation. Pussy.

To be precise, he did not offer his resignation either time. He asked RW if he wanted him to resign. RW assured him that he did not. There is a difference.

Bz is not happy here. He has not been for quite some time. And yes, Nina is even more unhappy.

To be precise, he did not offer his resignation either time. He asked RW if he wanted him to resign. RW assured him that he did not. There is a difference.

Bz is not happy here. He has not been for quite some time. And yes, Nina is even more unhappy.

That part is no one's fault but his own. He sold his happiness for a paycheck. I have absolutely no sympathy for him in that regard.

Since the Clawson hire, I am actually hopeful that Wellman will work diligently this time to make a good hire. Wellman loves to be adored, and the praise he got on the tail of bringing in Claw will make him hungry for more. I do NOT think he will repeat the bzz mistake. The past four years have been a disaster for the university. Wellman KNOWS he has to right the ship and I believe the university will bring forth the dollars to make this happen.

Delusional? I hope not.

Thanks for clearing that up. So fair to assume Wake was not his "dream job" like he said at his presser....

Ditto, baby, thanks for clarifying.
I'm with MSD here - Wellman knew what football needed and got it. I feel like that ability should translate to basketball as well.

Since the Clawson hire, I am actually hopeful that Wellman will work diligently this time to make a good hire. Wellman loves to be adored, and the praise he got on the tail of bringing in Claw will make him hungry for more. I do NOT think he will repeat the bzz mistake. The past four years have been a disaster for the university. Wellman KNOWS he has to right the ship and I believe the university will bring forth the dollars to make this happen.

Delusional? I hope not.

I agree. Everyone up there has to know that this one's important. The enthusiasm gap between football and basketball since Claw's hire is blatantly apparent. As soon as he pulled that one out of his hat (for which he deserves praise), I hoped he'd follow the exact same game plan in the Spring. Bzz out, one of the top job openings early in the offseason, make a good hire before all the dominoes fall, re-establish a more positive legacy, waltz off into the sunset/NCAA job.

waltz off into the sunset/NCAA job.

Why does everyone think Wellman is going to ditch Wake for the NCAA on his own terms? I wouldn't think he'd make anywhere near the high 6 figure/low 7 figure salary at the NCAA he has earned lately from Wake.

Plus, he's lived in Winston-Salem for over 21 years, in a job that typically requires a lot of moving around. He's settled and comfortable. I don't see him picking up and moving to Indy in his early 60's.

Perhaps ACC commissioner would make some sense? Swofford has been there 17 years, but he and Ron are the same age, so I don't really see Ron being a viable replacement if Swofford were to hang it up. You don't replace a 62 year old with a 63 year old, IMO.

Last edited:
Why does everyone think Wellman is going to ditch Wake for the NCAA on his own terms? I wouldn't think he'd make anywhere near the high 6 figure/low 7 figure salary at the NCAA he has earned lately from Wake.

Plus, he's lived in Winston-Salem for over 21 years, in a job that typically requires a lot of moving around. He's settled and comfortable. I don't see him picking up and moving to Indy in his early 60's

He is a very ambitious man. I could see him making the move for the prestige.

I think he really wants the ACC commish job, but I'm not sure Swofford is going anywhere any time soon.

He is a very ambitious man. I could see him making the move for the prestige.

I think he really wants the ACC commish job, but I'm not sure Swofford is going anywhere any time soon.

Yeah, see my edits above.

Back