• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Here we go (BUZZ's RETURN CONFIRMED BY AD)...

I just don't understand how so many of you were able to convince yourselves of this.

A reasonable expectation that nobody would consider bringing that idiot back to coach another season after one of the worst 3 year runs in ACC history.

Like I said, I was wrong.

Dude. It is the NCAA tournament time. The Tubby and Howland firings were barely news. The Marshall Henderson double finger was bigger news.

PH - not sure what "academic-types" have to do with "winning everywhere." But you sound like Charlie Sheen sans the drugs and whores. Maybe you should take your tired act somewhere else. You wouldn't be missed.

I quoted somebody who said "academic types". I contrasted that with my own experiences.

If somebody says "self-important douchebags who are always wrong" believe something, you can counter with your personal perspective as a self-important douchebag who is always wrong.

I just don't understand how so many of you were able to convince yourselves of this.

Unfortunately, a Wake Forest education taught most of us logic. Thus, we deduced that given all known facts, no logical AD would retain [Redacted].

So much for that.

He is gutting our fanbase for an entire generation. Current students will leave Wake having no emotional attachment to hoops. Young kids who are in their impressionable years will grow up not liking Wake hoops, and will likely view it as punishment if their parents force them to attend or watch games.
As I've documented persoanlly, this is a great concern of mine and for lots of parents of young kids. I just don't get why RW doesn't see how important our small alumni fanbase is. It's not like there's a huge bandwagon group to fall back on.

Can you imagine being a rising senior at Wake, and finding out today that all four years of your time @ MSD were going to be defined by this coaching regime?

A reasonable expectation that nobody would consider bringing that idiot back to coach another season after one of the worst 3 year runs in ACC history.

It was a reasonable expectation that nobody would consider bringing him back after one of the worst seasons in ACC history and one of the worst two year runs in ACC history. After last year, all bets were off. Jeff [Redacted] is a lousy coach with the full support of Ron Wellman, Hatch, and the BOT, thus the powers that be at MSD. And he's our coach for the foreseeable future.

Who said that?

BBD and you confirmed it was your thought process as well. The exact phrase was "millionaires thirsty for public status and validation", I paraphrased. We have such an embarrassing level of giving compared to other similar universities, should be encouraging giving not criticizing people's motives for doing so.

It's one of those things even things point to it happening or a certain decision being made, the fact that is defies all logic and common sense makes it impossible to believe until it finally happens. Even though we've all heard he would be retained, the sheer idiocy of it has made it almost impossible to believe. Even now I can't imagine a person with a semi functioning brain telling a reporter that he is retaining a coach that has failed so miserably as Jeff [Redacted].

BBD and you confirmed it was your thought process as well. The exact phrase was "millionaires thirsty for public status and validation", I paraphrased. We have such an embarrassing level of giving compared to other similar universities, should be encouraging giving not criticizing people's motives for doing so.

You can like the status and ass kissing AND want to create a positive outcome. The two are not mutually exclusive.

My only point was that there will always be a few big donors. The problem is that we are losing a whole generation of low to mid tier donors

Larranaga crafty like a fox

8eLkH0t.gif

As I've documented persoanlly, this is a great concern of mine and for lots of parents of young kids. I just don't get why RW doesn't see how important our small alumni fanbase is. It's not like there's a huge bandwagon group to fall back on.

Can you imagine being a rising senior at Wake, and finding out today that all four years of your time @ MSD were going to be defined by this coaching regime?

I have two young kids who both play basketball and yet they have absolutely no desire to go to a Wake basketball game bc we suck so bad. That should be troubling to the Wake administration.

You can like the status and ass kissing AND want to create a positive outcome. The two are not mutually exclusive.

My only point was that there will always be a few big donors. The problem is that we are losing a whole generation of low to mid tier donors

I understand your point about low and mid-tier donors. Just don't think it's a fair assumption to state that big donors are seeking recognition and ass-kissing.

I understand your point about low and mid-tier donors. Just don't think it's a fair assumption to state that big donors are seeking recognition and ass-kissing.

That's pretty naive there. Then why are recognition and ass-kissing primary incentives for being a big donor?

I quoted somebody who said "academic types". I contrasted that with my own experiences.

If somebody says "self-important douchebags who are always wrong" believe something, you can counter with your personal perspective as a self-important douchebag who is always wrong.

Pot meet kettle. Though I don't think you are always wrong. What you were wrong on, shockingly so as an academic, was to try and tar and feather me for having an opinion not shared by the majority. Most true academics truly honor almost worship debate and discussion to find a more nuanced belief or position. Since you don't or didn't, I have to assume you are one of the many half-ass academics. Way to go.

If they didn't want recognition and ass-kissing, we would see a lot more anonymous donors, and there wouldn't be nearly as many perks for donating that much money.

I'm not saying that's a BAD thing. If I had the money, I'd be throwing it all around to get my ass kissed. It's completely natural.

So which came first, the awful basketball program that generates little to no support or interest from our current student body, or the admission of a new generation of students who don't care about big-time athletics, thus justifying Wellman's support of a small-time coach-wannabe in [Redacted]?

That's pretty naive there. Then why are recognition and ass-kissing primary incentives for being a big donor?

Let me re-phrase, not ALL big donors are seeking recognition, some actually just want to help Wake students.

Wakes BOT are a bunch of bitches. This asshole (Wellman), should have been fired after last season. Wake basketball is dead to me for the time being.

Is it bad taste to tweet at current players and recruits asking them to transfer/decommit, because that's where I'm at right now.

So which came first, the awful basketball program that generates little to no support or interest from our current student body, or the admission of a new generation of students who don't care about big-time athletics, thus justifying Wellman's support of a small-time coach-wannabe in [Redacted]?

I haven't seen Wellman use that to justify hiring [Redacted].

Students like winners. Team wins, students come out. Doesn't matter what kind of students you admit. It's an eternal truth.

I have two young kids who both play basketball and yet they have absolutely no desire to go to a Wake basketball game bc we suck so bad. That should be troubling to the Wake administration.

You know after we won the ACC football title in 2006 and we were going good in hoops at time as well I remember seeing Wake Forest stuff places I'd never seen it before and seeing people wearing Wake Forest stuff more than I had ever seen before, we had momentum as a brand, but we more than lost that now.

Back