• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hilton Head Tips?

RubbinsRacin

Junior2016!!!!88!!1!!!!
Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations on places to eat, drink, and otherwise be merry? I also want to play at least one round of golf. Is the twilight rate at Harbour Town a good call ($135)? Seems reasonable for that course, but are there any other courses on the island that you'd recommend?

I'm not from Ohio nttawwt.

What type of food are you looking for? Are you trying to go out to the bars? If so, "younger" or "older" person bars?

In terms of non-chain restaurants, the Boathouse is really good for a seafood lunch, Marleys is a good caribbean/island restaurant (normally very busy), Frosty Frog is a daquiri bar next to the beach (FYI, alcohol on the beach is a $1000 fine), New York City Pizza is a good low key pizza place, those are good places to start but did you have a specific type of food you wanted?

Giuseppis, Old Oyster Factory and Crazy Crab are all tourist traps, and are not as good as cracked up to be.

I play at my home course and its reciprocals (all are private), so I haven't played any public courses recently but Palmetto Hall and Palmetto Dunes have a couple pretty good courses. Hilton Head National used to be one of my dads favorite courses to play before my parents moved to their current home. The other courses in Sea Pines were pretty nice as well. If $135 is not too much for Harbor Town, then I'd play that probably but you are paying some for the name only.

Last edited:
That little theater near the Holiday Inn is DOPE. It plays like 2 movies, twice a day and it's $5 or something...it's ONE screen and they let you bring in food and drinks and stuff.

I saw Rabbit Hole there and I was prolly the only person under 50 in there.

Hudson's used to be pretty good and has live music out on the deck.

I used to go to Hudson's as a kid in the early 80s. Might have to hit that up just for old times sake.

Island: We will probably have one or two really nice dinners, and otherwise just interested in fresh food and cold beer. Relaxed, laid back atmosphere and same for the bars. Those places you mentioned sound good. Can you recommend any good places/markets/docks to buy fresh seafood?

Do they really fine you for alcohol on the beach? That's not cool. I've never been hassled at any NC/SC beaches as long as it's in a coozie and you're just chilling.

Thanks!

I used to go to Hudson's as a kid in the early 80s. Might have to hit that up just for old times sake.

Island: We will probably have one or two really nice dinners, and otherwise just interested in fresh food and cold beer. Relaxed, laid back atmosphere and same for the bars. Those places you mentioned sound good. Can you recommend any good places/markets/docks to buy fresh seafood?

Do they really fine you for alcohol on the beach? That's not cool. I've never been hassled at any NC/SC beaches as long as it's in a coozie and you're just chilling.

Thanks!

Just don't be outwardly obvious about it and you'll be fine. It's the people with the beer cans and bottles strewn across their area that have gotten in trouble from what I've seen.

Hudsons had a fresh fish market, not sure if they still do. I'm not a huge fish person and mostly eat seafood at restaurants over cooking it myself so I'm not too familiar with the offerings. Pretty sure there is "Scott's Fish Market" which is pretty popular.

The popular "schedule" for bars is:
Tuesday - Trivia at Wild Wings, Ladies Night at Caseys
Wednesday - Big Bamboo (WW1 themed bar, reggae music)
Thursday - $ Vodkas at Wild Wings
Fri/Sat - Triangle (Hilton Head Plaza with the Lodge, One Hot Mamas, Reilleys)

Daniels is a pretty chill/nice bar. It's down next to Coligny Plaza.
Also, "The Boardroom" just opened in Hilton Head Plaza, it's a pretty nice relaxing bar.

Wise Guys is a pretty cool bar/restaurant. It's basically wine and smaller plates. It's a really nice place, definitely a place to grab a drink or two while getting dinner or just grabbing some quick snacks.

I second Aunt Chiladas for happy hour. One Hot Mamas also has some pretty good wings/bbq if you want that. As far as seafood, Black Marlin is pretty tasty.

My buddy played there for years and years. I used to get the fresh shrimp dishes.

Does Remy's still have good music?

Thanks!

Buy van.
Put Ohio license plate on van.
Enjoy the soothing tunes of HHI's resident poet, Gregg Russell.

russell.jpg

Cannot wait. 2 weeks away from a week in Sea Pines. Yippee. Best surf fishing ever. It's hard not to catch 4-6 foot sharks with every cast.

is charleys still open? that place was good if memory serves.

Charley's crab or Charlie's l'etoile verte? The former closed and the latter has sadly gone downhill.

Updated Hilton Head Tips

Rather than create a new thread for HH, I figured I would use this one instead.

Where do the locals mainly go to eat and hang out (drink) as I'd like to stay away from the tourists?

Also does HH have a farmers market?

Last edited:
Yes on playing Harbour town for the twilight rate. Just an FYI that you will also pay a caddie fee, either regular or forecaddie.

Once met a stripper named January at The Gold Club. Its like being in an old theater with the balcony.

i had a great trip everybody!!!!! except one part where my special lady friend and i got stuck in some sand waaayyyy back in the woods on a long bike ride and it was really hot and we were hungry. that part kind of sucked. otherwise no complaints except a seagull took a huge explosive shit on my car hood and i didn't try to clean it off until well after we got home, and it had basically turned to concrete and now there is a permanent rough spot on the hood of my car. thankfully it is clear looking but it feels like sandpaper and it ain't coming off. daily reminder of a good trip though i guess.

Back