• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hilton Head Tips?

Rather than create a new thread for HH, I figured I would use this one instead.

Where do the locals mainly go to eat and hang out (drink) as I'd like to stay away from the tourists?

Also does HH have a farmers market?
Generally the "north" end of the island (the half that is right after you come onto the island) is more local than the "south" end. I don't really have specific places that I go to avoid tourists (well maybe Bluffton but nothing on the island) but I do try to eat earlier if it's Thurs - Sat. Any bar except Wild Wings or in the triangle (Brew Pub, Lodge, One Hot Mamas) should be good. The Board Room in the Triangle is normally pretty relaxed. Caseys is a decent sports bar and is not too hectic except for Lady's Night on Tuesdays. Frosty Frog serves daquiris and is pretty touristy but it's really big in size and you don't have to deal with them if you don't want to. Also, if you go to the beach, go to one inside a plantation or if you go to a public beach, you can walk a short distance and not be around anyone.

Where do the locals mainly go to eat and hang out (drink) as I'd like to stay away from the tourists?

I wouldn't call it a farmer's market per se, but there is a place called Cahill's Market in Bluffton that is pretty awesome. You can buy fruit/veggies there or eat in their restaurant, and the food (all home cooking) is great. I'll probably be there next Friday night myself as I'll be at HHI for a conference next weekend.

Yes, it does. Actually both Hilton Head and Bluffton do. Bluffton's is more established (and likely a bit better), but a lot of the same vendors go to both. My wife and I always go to the farmer's market when we're in town.

Bluffton: http://www.farmersmarketbluffton.org/
Hilton Head: http://farmersmarkethiltonheadisland.com/

As for your other questions, there's no "local" area on Hilton Head. As Island mentioned, the north end is more local, but that's only because it has fewer tourists staying there. People who live on the south end don't drive to the north end or Bluffton to go find a more local vibe. Bluffton is way more local, but again, unless you're staying out there, you shouldn't go seeking localness. All you'll end up with is a long drive back to your hotel. That being said, if you're staying in Bluffton, I can recommend some places as that's where we always stay (at my parents' house).

Last edited:
Santa Fe Cafe is a good option for something a bit different (southwestern). They have a huge ribeye on the menu that is very good. Not cheap but good food and nice atmosphere.

I'm actually staying out out at Folly Field beach. Is that near much of anything?

Man I feel like an idiot but I haven't been to HH in quite a while.

I'm actually staying out out at Folly Field beach. Is that near much of anything?

Man I feel like an idiot but I haven't been to HH in quite a while.
Mid-island, Carrabbas is on the same road. Straight across 278 onto Matthews leads you to two shopping centers with Bella Italia (pizza/italian), new japanese/thai (might not be open yet), a french cafe, pizza hut, Philly's Sandwhiches, Vic's sports bar, Reilley's irish restaurant, Sam's Club, and Bi-Lo.

Buy van.
Put Ohio license plate on van.
Enjoy the soothing tunes of HHI's resident poet, Gregg Russell.

russell.jpg

Is this dude still around - used to go see him all the time when i was a kid in the early 80s

just a few miles to the containerport. don't miss it.

Mid-island, Carrabbas is on the same road. Straight across 278 onto Matthews leads you to two shopping centers with Bella Italia (pizza/italian), new japanese/thai (might not be open yet), a french cafe, pizza hut, Philly's Sandwhiches, Vic's sports bar, Reilley's irish restaurant, Sam's Club, and Bi-Lo.

Man I am near some boring shit. Thank goodness its a small island.

Reilley's grill and bar has the best happy hour from 4-7. All liquors are 1/2 off including premium. You can then walk over to Jump and Phil's. Lots of locals in there especially the later it gets. Hinoki for sushi!

I am gonna have my 2 nieces with me for part of the time. Any restaurants/bars where they will be anything but bored but still cool places to hang/eat?

Saturday can't get here quick enough but its probably gonna be just as hot as balls as here in upstate.

Were headed here soon for a weekend. It's been over 10 years since I've been to hilton head. Back then we would got to old oyster factory and crazy crab for dinner. Any other dinner suggestions? We are good snobs and want good food on the island and I want seafood for dinners.

Oh man, I'm just reminiscing about that time three or four or five years ago when I locked myself out of my car at the Frosty Frog. Then I broke back in with a clothes hanger.

Those were the good old days.

Last year we went to the sunset grille. It is literally in a trailer park. But the restaurant is great and recommended by locals.

You just inspired me to stream some of that. Baby, Baby!

Headed to HHI after the Masters for a few days and probably going to a practice round at Harbourtown.

Back