• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

historically bad day for the Big Four?

DownEastDeac

Reaction score
I'm sure the media will comment on this, but I wonder if all 4 have ever lost on the same day? (likely, but for that to happen they all would have to play on the same day and none against each other). And assuming it has happended, have all 4 ever lost by double digits on the same day?

:bkf batsignal

A few people on Twitter have gone back to 1953 and haven't found a single day in ACC history where all four teams have lost on the same day.

Good info.

Even UNCC lost to a 5-9 team and ECU is losing to ODU.

We're so irrelevant that the media is only commenting on the losses by dook, Cheater Hill and Cow College. Wake who? Thanks Bzzzz!

College basketball everywhere is just gradually getting worse and worse and worse. The ACC is just a shell of what it once was. Even Duke & Carolina aren't really very good anymore. You'd have to be blind not to see it. You would also have to be blind not to see the main reason for it.....early entries to the NBA. Teams don't have time to develop into a cohesive unit because they are constantly having to replace key players on the team. And in many cases, players are more interested in how they are presenting themselves for a future in the NBA than in how they can best help their team now. Jeff Teague was a perfect example of that. He could play PG or SG....but Ish could only play PG. Our strongest team on the floor would have had both of them, but Teague knew his future in the NBA would have to be at PG....so when Dino tried to move him to SG to help the team, Teague just stood around and sulked.

I'm pretty sure none of this is true.

The SG's job in Skip/Dino's offenses was to stand around and wait for the PG to stop dribbling.

College basketball has been hurt by the NBA, no doubt, which makes our non competitive situation even more frustrating. We should be on par with a program like Iowa or Colorado at least. Instead, we are dependent on one recruiting class because we keep striking out on top talent.

bobknight fan is 100% correct. In hindsight, leaving Teague at point was the correct call. His reaction to being moved makes him one of my least like Wake players.

College basketball everywhere is just gradually getting worse and worse and worse. The ACC is just a shell of what it once was. Even Duke & Carolina aren't really very good anymore. You'd have to be blind not to see it. You would also have to be blind not to see the main reason for it.....early entries to the NBA. Teams don't have time to develop into a cohesive unit because they are constantly having to replace key players on the team. And in many cases, players are more interested in how they are presenting themselves for a future in the NBA than in how they can best help their team now. Jeff Teague was a perfect example of that. He could play PG or SG....but Ish could only play PG. Our strongest team on the floor would have had both of them, but Teague knew his future in the NBA would have to be at PG....so when Dino tried to move him to SG to help the team, Teague just stood around and sulked.

Yall can say what you want, but hes dead right on this one. Ive been saying this for about 6 years now. Ive come to grips as someone who has followed wake hoops college bball and the ACC as closely as anyone I know. Its just the thruth.

Or win was the last time the 'Big 4' started 3-9?

The real truth is that college basketball is just not that good of a product anymore. Been a passion of mine all my life, so its hard to admit. Sad but is truth.

I'm just amazed he got through that dissertation without mentioning Booby Knight.

Early entries are relatively few players compared to the entire landscape. Here is last year's list:
http://www.nba.com/bobcats/early-entry-candidates-2013-nba-draft

46 players. Half were juniors who only had one more year left. Only nine "one and dones".

I doubt that's much different than the last few years. You can't blame this trend on only early entries, especially since early entries were in full force back in the 90s.

Last edited:
The game has declined because Bobby Knight isn't coaching any more. Duh.

Back