• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

historically bad day for the Big Four?

Don't know about the post game, but Teague kind of disappeared during that game. He was our leading scorer, averaging right at 19 points on 15 shots per. When a guy like that all of a sudden takes half as many shots, scores half as many points, and gives the ball away 7 times, you have to make it up somewhere. As I recall, the Cleveland State back court killed us.

Yup. Another oft-forgotten fact about that game was that there wasn't much of a talent gap in the backcourt. Cleveland State had Norris Cole and Cedric Jackson, both of whom are still playing professionally. Cole is a key piece of the Heat role players surrounding Lebron, Wade and Bosh and Jackson is playing in Slovenia and Australia before that (He played a handful of games in the NBA the year after college). He has been on several NBA summer league teams the past few years.

They combined to score 40ish points that night.

Which would lead to a talent decline that would make college basketball as irrelevant as college baseball.
Not likely. What hurts is the one year and gone. Those guys should go straight to the NBA as they don't want to be in college anyway. They are all about themselves and not the team.

Not likely. What hurts is the one year and gone. Those guys should go straight to the NBA as they don't want to be in college anyway. They are all about themselves and not the team.

The only way the NBA would adopt the baseball rule is if the D-league turned into a viable alternative development program for young players. If that happened College Basketball would be dead as we know it.

High school entry hurt college basketball and the NBA. Going back to it would still hurt. Imagine recruiting players not knowing if they're coming at all. This wasn't that long ago. How have people forgotten?

A lot of coaches seem to point the finger at AAU ball and kids being harder to coach into a team. Surprised that hasn't been brought up.

Agreed....but talent is only one aspect of the total college basketball experience...for both the students and the players. College basketball is supposed to be played by fellow student-athletes....not by a designated group of mercenaries who are only marking time for a year or two until they can move on to the NBA.

Not surprisingly, money has gradually bastardized college athletics....just like it has almost everything else in this country.

What percentage of college players leave after two years or less even from major college programs? A minutely small percentage.

Agreed....but talent is only one aspect of the total college basketball experience...for both the students and the players. College basketball is supposed to be played by fellow student-athletes....not by a designated group of mercenaries who are only marking time for a year or two until they can move on to the NBA.

Not surprisingly, money has gradually bastardized college athletics....just like it has almost everything else in this country.

Meh, to echo the post above I would guess that far more players transfer than leave early to go pro. College basketball proponents would be far better off worrying more about the NCAA than the NBA.

The NCAA could have a positive impact on college basketball by limiting conferences to 12 teams a piece (though that ship has sailed); Changing Transfer rules; Changing the rules on the court to open up play a bit (Interested to see how the new rules changes will play out over the next few years), and collaborating more with the NBA to help college kids accurately assess their basketball options.

One thing I would love to see discussed is allowing College Players to participate in the NBA Summer League.

Sure. The ACC was founded on May 8, 1953. Virginia joined in December 1953. They were the "original" expansion team.

Which is why I said "they've been in the league 60 years" rather than "they were a founding member." UVA played in the inaugural ACC basketball season, so aside from the 4-5 games they missed, there is literally almost no history of ACC basketball that could have been improved upon by your so-called "original" expansion.

I don't exactly know what your point was our who you were in response to, but lumping UVA into an expansion argument doesn't exactly have weight

We're so irrelevant that the media is only commenting on the losses by dook, Cheater Hill and Cow College. Wake who? Thanks Bzzzz!

I came onto this thread to see if this point was being discussed....we aren't even part of the big 4 in the eyes of the nation. Awesome. I'm sure this is a good thing for recruiting.

Back