• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

historically bad day for the Big Four?

Back to the Big Four. Wake and State are just not too good for various reasons having to do with leadership. Carolina and Duke may be a little weaker than usual too but they are also not getting the cooking from the refs that they are used to getting. I think the new emphasis on enforcing the rules against excessive physical contact is taking away an important part of Duke's and Carolina's traditional tactics: they can't call them all, and what they do call will penalize the other team more because, well, they are Duke and Carolina and people expect them to win anyway with all their Burger boys and all blah, blah, blah.

You should start watching the NBA. That's by far where the best basketball is.

Like many I love college hoops so much more because of the rivalries and passions, but it is definitely striking to turn on an NBA game and not wonder whether basic stuff like jump shots and free throws are going to be a total crapshoot for the teams involved. That's why NBA playoffs have been getting more and more fascinating to me...the combination of games that matter with players who know how to play them with ridiculous skill.

ESPN twists the knife, in the scroll this morning the stat is dook, UNC and State have not lost on the same day since .....

Duke's offense for years has been to run a shooter (ala JJ Reddick) crazy through a series of double and triple screens in order to create an open shot. I watch them earlier this year and it is just one on one, NBA crap style. I think Coach K has thrown in the towel and is trying to adjust to the evil that is Calapari at Kentucky. I think there's more attention on where Parker might go in the draft than on what he is doing for Duke.

The one and done in college ball is similar to free agency in baseball. It's hard to pull for your team when you have temporary players just wearing the uniform for a short period of time.

I've often wondered if we should have hanged Chris Paul's jersey - he was there for only two years (and left us with a huge hole when he left).

And, I just posted a comment about Teague on another thread which applies here as well - I remember him standing around and not getting involved in the game against Duke - when we were both ranked. It was a key game and he was a no show. As I mentioned on the other thread, I thought the problem was two fold - sulking over not being able to play PG, his potential NBA position, and the fact he and Ish had common taste in coeds.

1. I'm fine with the Carolina schools sucking a$$ yesterday.

2. Nice to see BKF correct about something for once. That 2nd half of Teague's sophomore year was maddening to watch.

Duke's offense for years has been to run a shooter (ala JJ Reddick) crazy through a series of double and triple screens in order to create an open shot. I watch them earlier this year and it is just one on one, NBA crap style. I think Coach K has thrown in the towel and is trying to adjust to the evil that is Calapari at Kentucky. I think there's more attention on where Parker might go in the draft than on what he is doing for Duke.

The one and done in college ball is similar to free agency in baseball. It's hard to pull for your team when you have temporary players just wearing the uniform for a short period of time.

I've often wondered if we should have hanged Chris Paul's jersey - he was there for only two years (and left us with a huge hole when he left).

And, I just posted a comment about Teague on another thread which applies here as well - I remember him standing around and not getting involved in the game against Duke - when we were both ranked. It was a key game and he was a no show. As I mentioned on the other thread, I thought the problem was two fold - sulking over not being able to play PG, his potential NBA position, and the fact he and Ish had common taste in coeds.

Are you talking about the game on the road where he went 10-16 and scored 28 points???

Or the game that we won despite a bad shooting night from Teague (4-14)? 14 shots is not getting involved in the game??

The whole Teague giving up thing is way overblown.

There were some chemistry issues on that team and Dino/Teague were unable to adjust to teams keying in on him more during the second half of the season.

Like many I love college hoops so much more because of the rivalries and passions, but it is definitely striking to turn on an NBA game and not wonder whether basic stuff like jump shots and free throws are going to be a total crapshoot for the teams involved. That's why NBA playoffs have been getting more and more fascinating to me...the combination of games that matter with players who know how to play them with ridiculous skill.

Expansion has really hurt this aspect of the college game IMO. And there are some good rivalries and passionate games in the NBA if you know where to look. The Clippers and Warriors hate each other. In fact none of the California teams are particularly fond of the Clippers come to think of it. The Boston/Miami rivalry was as heated as any college rivalry over the past few years.

The last game that Jeff Teague played in a WF uniform he took 7 shots and had 7 turnovers. (Maybe he was just saving his energy for that BJ he was going to get a few hours later.)

Facts just aren't your thing, eh?

Gotta hand it to ya, didn't think it was possible to pack this much wrong into a single post.

I thought she did both of them....or was Teague just "standing guard". They were in Teague's room, weren't they?

In any event, 7 shots and 7 turnovers and a loss to Cleveland State is a glorious way to wrap up your college career.

Teague wasn't doing anything. He left the room so his buddy could get some. What's your point? Everyone but James Johnson and Aminu in the second half had a shitty game.

I'm sure there have been far better players than teague who have ended their college career with worse performances.

But hey, It's better than ending your coaching career at a school by assaulting a 19 year old who didn't show you respect.

Bob Knight didn't "assault" that guy, either. Bob Knight's critics constantly exaggerate everything he does.

Grabbing a stranger's arm is technically assault. Whether charges are pressed or not.

ETA: As is grabbing someone by the neck, popping the bottom of their chin, and throwing a vase at them

The last game that Jeff Teague played in a WF uniform he took 7 shots and had 7 turnovers. (Maybe he was just saving his energy for that BJ he was going to get a few hours later.)

bkf won't give him credit for such an act of unselfishness.

Don't know about the post game, but Teague kind of disappeared during that game. He was our leading scorer, averaging right at 19 points on 15 shots per. When a guy like that all of a sudden takes half as many shots, scores half as many points, and gives the ball away 7 times, you have to make it up somewhere. As I recall, the Cleveland State back court killed us.

Back