• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Home Game VS Utah St

After watching College Football Live. The strength of schedule for the playoffs probably won't effect us. With the F$U and Clemson hurdles to jump over, we'll probably won't have to worry about making the playoffs. So let's take an easier road. A FCS team and non-power 5 schools. Our realistic goal should be a Bowl game, not the playoffs. A win vs OHIO will be better than a lose to The Ohio State U. Strength of schedule be damn.

LOWF

I'm sick and tired of the "Noble Loss". We had Miami beat the last three times we played them, and if beating Miami (O) had gotten us in to a Bowl game, it would have been better for the program.

My point is strength of schedules doesn't matter to us anymore since our goal should be making a bowl game, because the likelyhood of us getting into the playoffs is next to impossible. Manning will make the Final Four before the Wake football team will.

Right Wake will never win the NCAA football title. Period.

If there had been an 8 team playoff in 2006 though, we would have been three wins from a title.

If you have to have "noble losses," it would be nice to have them at least in a bowl, rather than preventing you from making one. But this does have to be balanced against the need for a decently competitive schedule that interests the fan base.

How NC State fans are accepting 2 straight years of totally embarrassing scheduling is beyond me. I guess they love filling up on those Little Debbies.

Would a player rather go 5-7 with a noble loss in a road trip to Palo Alto or South Bend or go 6-6 with a home cupcake to earn a trip to Shreveport?

6-6, gotta get that Bowl swag prize pack

And I think Clawson feels the same way based on a schedule question during his DC tour. Basically said he wanted the schedule as easy as possible since our division is so tough.

Would a player rather go 5-7 with a noble loss in a road trip to Palo Alto or South Bend or go 6-6 with a home cupcake to earn a trip to Shreveport?

For some schools maybe it's the former. But for where our program is, even Shreveport bowls are important. Let's face it, if you're a WF football player who has been to a bowl, you're in pretty elite company among other WF football players. That's not LOWF, that's fact. We need to have a steady streak of bowls to get some momentum going.

Not to mention that I hope our players are playing for wins, bowls, and championships rather than fun places to visit.

Bowl games are also good for about 20 extra practices. That can be important for getting the next years team ready a bit better. It may not make a difference in any one year, but over time, the extra practice time adds up and the team is that much better.

Good points about the practices Deaconblue. And Daddy, let's have our "Noble Loss" in the Bowl game, is right on the mark. What would you think about scheduling our OOC away games in places that are rich with recruiting targets. Texas schools, FAU, FIU, Ohio, Miami (O), or a non P5 schools in Tenn. or Ga.?

Bowl games are also good for about 20 extra practices. That can be important for getting the next years team ready a bit better. It may not make a difference in any one year, but over time, the extra practice time adds up and the team is that much better.

I am pretty sure you can practice in that time if you don't make a bowl. Now it's often never done, but I wonder if Clausen might do it if we don't make one this year.

Random crazy question. Could Wake use those practices and end them with an open scrimmage against WSSU or A&T?

I do hope we keep scheduling some BCS-level OOC opponents, and we probably will since that's where the momentum is in the overall landscape. I look forward to those a lot more -- and they are a cooler travel opportunity -- than a crappy, meaningless bowl game

I do hope we keep scheduling some BCS-level OOC opponents, and we probably will since that's where the momentum is in the overall landscape. I look forward to those a lot more -- and they are a cooler travel opportunity -- than a [crappy, meaningless bowl game

It's must be nice to have forgotten the twentieth century.

Back