• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Home Game VS Utah St

If the ACC continues with the 8 game schedule, in years when WF does not play ND, WF should play one game against an OOC opponent from a BCS conference that will schedule home and homes with WF. Playing and beating Ole Miss, Baylor, Stanford were great for the WF program.

That still leaves 3 OOC games (including one FCS game) that WF should win in most years. I would hate to see WF schedule 4 OOC games every year against the likes of Elon, Liberty, Army, Charlotte, UAB....

If the ACC continues with the 8 game schedule, in years when WF does not play ND, WF should play one game against an OOC opponent from a BCS conference that will schedule home and homes with WF. Playing and beating Ole Miss, Baylor, Stanford were great for the WF program.

That still leaves 3 OOC games (including one FCS game) that WF should win in most years. I would hate to see WF schedule 4 OOC games every year against the likes of Elon, Liberty, Army, Charlotte, UAB....

I believe this is an ACC rule now anyway.

It's must be nice to have forgotten the twentieth century.

That was a different world. It's a cinch to make bowls now, plus high-academic schools are winning a lot more than they used to. Being a team that regularly makes bowls should be a minimum goal.

And let's be honest, outside of max 4 bowls with ACC tie-ins, the others are worthless and outcomes of bowl games don't really add up to very much. Extra practices is by far the biggest plus, though I think that's overplayed -- we had our best season in history off a non-bowl season, and a season that ended extraordinarily early in mid-November, for example

That was a different world. It's a cinch to make bowls now, plus high-academic schools are winning a lot more than they used to. Being a team that regularly makes bowls should be a minimum goal.

And let's be honest, outside of max 4 bowls with ACC tie-ins, the others are worthless and outcomes of bowl games don't really add up to very much. Extra practices is by far the biggest plus, though I think that's overplayed -- we had our best season in history off a non-bowl season, and a season that ended extraordinarily early in mid-November, for example

Well said. Our last bowl season that ended with a 1-4 regular season finish. Extra practices didn't help that team rebound in the bowl game and it didn't help them in Grobe's last two seasons.

If people want to suggest that having extra practices each year (as well as going to bowl games and getting all the swag that the players like) will not increase the chances of a team being consistently good, okay. You are wrong, but okay.

I'm a junkie. I want to say that the only BCS schools I didn't watch last year were Colorado, Utah, Kansas, and Purdue

you probably should consider getting out more

you probably should consider getting out more

It's not hard to check in on 30-40 teams in a weekend and still go out on a Saturday and still catch the night games

If people want to suggest that having extra practices each year (as well as going to bowl games and getting all the swag that the players like) will not increase the chances of a team being consistently good, okay. You are wrong, but okay.

Yeah, they help, no one's questioning that, it's just a matter of how much.

And I would argue very little. Just guessing but something tells me bowl practices are the least intense of all with exams going on, the holidays, some players' careers almost over and only one game to prep for where making the game is a bigger deal than actually winning it or not.

And Shreveport sucks

Shreveport is brutal. Would not attend that bowl game.

Bowl games are fun for fanbases, for some the only time they get to see/plan to travel to see their team. I'll probably only make it to one or two games this year but if we make a bowl I'll try hard to get there.

Is it that much easier than traveling to road games though, including big non-conf games? OK, maybe bowls are during the holidays (also a potential negative), but you have next to no time to plan for them. 7 months for a regular season game.

Plus going to another team's place is a better game environment experience anywaze (unless you're in Raleigh)

I get that some bowl locations are lousy. But if Clawson is on the recruiting trail and can't point to a streak of bowls as a baseline mark of success, I don't know what he's trying to market outside of academics. "You'll get to go to South Bend"?

If I were a fan of any other ACC team besides Duke reading this thread, I would get a chuckle seeing Wake fans talk about bowls like we're above them.

I'd rather beat Arkansas in Shreveport, than get our butts kick in Columbus, Ohio. And I'm not talking just about the football team.

Power 5 coaches were polled on whether to have schools schedule P5 only OOC games. The results were 46% were in favor, 35% opposed, 18% had no opinion. So all this might be settled. Wake would be a prime target (easy win) for teams from strong conferences (SEC) whose conf. record would be good enough to get the in the tourney. Make your reservations for Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa!

Power 5 coaches were polled on whether to have schools schedule P5 only OOC games. The results were 46% were in favor, 35% opposed, 18% had no opinion. So all this might be settled. Wake would be a prime target (easy win) for teams from strong conferences (SEC) whose conf. record would be good enough to get the in the tourney. Make your reservations for Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa!

Wake would be a prime target of EVERY program in P5. The question is whether Wake would sell out to the strongest programs for the fattest paycheck, or would we also target the milder programs we stand a chance of matching up with. I wish the answer to this would come easily, but it doesn't.

Agreed. Wake would make a lot of money.

I may write up an article on this (for anyone who cares) but P5 teams only playing P5 teams can only help Wake IMO: recruiting will get a boost, teams will want to play us as one of the weakest teams (which we should accept a game or two a year as it's not too likely that we would ever compete for a title AND if we were in position to, we would be competitive with these teams and still get paid), and we can secure our place in the top echelon of college football moving forward (as a P5 school)

Agreed. Wake would make a lot of money.

I may write up an article on this (for anyone who cares) but P5 teams only playing P5 teams can only help Wake IMO: recruiting will get a boost, teams will want to play us as one of the weakest teams (which we should accept a game or two a year as it's not too likely that we would ever compete for a title AND if we were in position to, we would be competitive with these teams and still get paid), and we can secure our place in the top echelon of college football moving forward (as a P5 school)

Agree that it would be a net positive for WF. If that happened, the P5 (at least in football) would break from the NCAA and set their own rules on recruiting, ships, compensation for players etc. It would really suck for those D-1 FBS programs that are not in the P-5. They would become irrelevant. People only care about the Boise State's of college football when they knock off a Oklahoma or VT or Washington. If they are left to beat up on each other, I don't see that generating a lot of interest.

Wake would be a prime target of EVERY program in P5. The question is whether Wake would sell out to the strongest programs for the fattest paycheck, or would we also target the milder programs we stand a chance of matching up with. I wish the answer to this would come easily, but it doesn't.

Its like being the most popular girl because we are a cum guzzling slut. Either way, it will make Wellman wealthy. We might as well take advantage of this.

Dan Wolken thinks autonomy for the P5 is worse for teams 40-65 than worse teams. Oh whale.

The pitiful little Bowls help pay for new facilities, allows us to hire better coaches. If we don't fill the Bowl slots, that's money lrft on the table.

Back