• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Homebrewing Beer

Northern Brewer suckered me in with their sale. I've got an Octoberfest, Smashing Pumpkin Ale, and Brickwarmer Holiday Red that I will be doing in the next few weeks.

A little behind, but finally brewing. I had some issues getting my mash run cooler to stop leaking but finally replaced some metal parts with rubber and it worked fine. I'm starting my boil right now. I may get around to brewing my second batch later today. We'll see how quickly I finish this one.

Both batches brewed in my marathon day of brewing. The pumpkin ale is fermenting nicely, but my lager has not started fermenting yet. I did my starter, and everything looked good at first. I pitched at 55 degrees, and moved it to my kegerator set at 48 degrees. As of this morning nothing, so after some consultation with the Wyeast website, I took the fermenter out and set it on the floor of my basement. They say let the fermentation start and go for a day or so at 65 degrees, then move it back to the kegerator for lower fermentation temps. Hopefully when I return home tonight fermentation will have started.

Started drinking my first all grain brew over Thanksgiving. It had a much smaller head than an extract brew. I really like the flavor of it though. The lager is lagering in a keg, and I'm ready to brew my Christmas ale. Its more time consuming, but I like home brewing all grain.

BTW, I've got 4 1/2 gallon growlers that were given to me by a friend. Free to anyone who could use them.

Bottled my holiday ale yesterday, just in time for Christmas.

This is my first brew with a wort chiller - I'm excited for the results.

I use Northern Brewer, primarily. I've used Midwest Supplies in the past. Haven't had a bad experience with either.

Any of you guys buy from MonsterBrew.com?
I got my initial startup kit from them, but nothing since. From my experience, their kits are for the first time brewers. It was very simplistic, had no grains at all, an while a decent beer, it didnt have the flavor or complexity of other kits. I either buy my grains from Big Dans Brew Shed, or order them off Northern Brewer when they run big sales.

Hmm, was just wondering. They are another website owned by my company. Dude who runs it seems to really know his shit. I think he's trying to get them past the initial startup kit stage, and become a much larger site.

I loved my startup kit from those guys. It was great for someone who had never brewed before. They sell the same style extract kits at City Beverage.

A little later than I'd have liked but I brewed the Brickwarmer Holiday Red yesterday, and today is a Farting Irish Red.

I broke into my Oktoberfest lager yesterday after a few months of aging. I really liked it, but it wasn't noticeably different in quality than my ales. Just not worth the extra effort and time IMO.

I fired up 9 gallons of homebrew Saturday. 5 gallons of ginger beer, 2 gallons of pear cider, and 2 gallons of Belgian witbier. The ginger beer is violently fermenting. This is the 1st time I have ever had to hook-up a blow off valve.

Back