• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How Long Will the Shutdown Last?

How Long Will the Current Government Shutdown Last?

• Total voters
Robert... that might be the hardest you've ever hit me... I thought we were friends... Don't get me wrong, I agree with much of what Wrangor says, but (shockingly enough for a short bus kid) I come up with stuff on my own sometimes. To your question, I don't perceive these guys as ignoring the law, rather I perceive them as asking for some tweaks and delays. Pretty much everyone agrees tweaks are needed. What's the big fucking deal?

What? All we have heard for 3+ years is "repeal repeal repeal defund defund defund". The TPs started wavering like, yesterday when they realized they were going to have a shutdown. Basically the first time anybody heard from the TPs about delays and the device tax and the Congressional participation issue was Sunday. Further, until Sunday they were railing against delays and calling the President a tyrant and talking about impeachment because he delayed part of the bill. If they wanted to negotiate in good faith for "tweaks and delays", they should have started that process a long time ago, don't you think?

If the TPs wanted to "negotiate" for some "tweaks", they've had years to get started but found it more politically popular within their small part of the GOP to scream about "repeal" and "defund". So it's really hard to buy the theory that this whole thing is about "asking for some tweaks and delays".

ironically, the shutdown has probably led to the best PR for Obamacare yet

No idea. Nor do I feel confident what will be the outcome. I guess I hope that the Pubs/Dems end up finding some compromise that is of minimal consequence but can help the Pubs save a little face nonetheless. 'Cause otherwise I don't see a way out.

This. It could be a long road and the tea party shoved all their chips into the pot.

So long as we're clear the 'economic terrorists' are playing by the rules. And the 'terrorists' would likely counter your assertions by stating they believe ACA is an even deadlier game to play with our economy... so from their perspective, they're taking one for the team by exposing themselves to the name-calling and accusations the average ill-informed citizen is pouring on them.

That's rich. Sure, there are dumb folks on all sides. But the hysteria over "Obamacare" seems pretty damned ill-informed. Just look at the damn congresspeople claiming it's unconstitutional. Jesus.

What? All we have heard for 3+ years is "repeal repeal repeal defund defund defund". The TPs started wavering like, yesterday when they realized they were going to have a shutdown. Basically the first time anybody heard from the TPs about delays and the device tax and the Congressional participation issue was Sunday. Further, until Sunday they were railing against delays and calling the President a tyrant and talking about impeachment because he delayed part of the bill. If they wanted to negotiate in good faith for "tweaks and delays", they should have started that process a long time ago, don't you think?

If the TPs wanted to "negotiate" for some "tweaks", they've had years to get started but found it more politically popular within their small part of the GOP to scream about "repeal" and "defund". So it's really hard to buy the theory that this whole thing is about "asking for some tweaks and delays".

I was trolling with the 'tweaks and delays' comment -- my bad. I agree with you that the objective of this 'faction' (I stole that from someone, btw) is repeal... and though I generally agree with their objectives, I don't agree with the tactics they've taken at this point. Kind of created a shit-storm.. I might have counselled that if they (we) believe the law is so bad, let it go forward, wreak havoc, then step in with an alternative. But they (or their constituents) would argue that approach would be cynical if they truly believe this will harm the country. However.. what ultimately pulled me out my lurker hole was my friend's rant (that would be BKF) with his over-the-top rhetoric. I'm of the mind that they're following the rules -- it wouldn't be the first time 'procedure' was used to shove something down the country's throat -- and, more importantly, they're playing to the will of the their constituents. Isn't that what the House is for? If they overreach, the House will turn...

That's rich. Sure, there are dumb folks on all sides. But the hysteria over "Obamacare" seems pretty damned ill-informed. Just look at the damn congresspeople claiming it's unconstitutional. Jesus.

He's just repeating the low information voter line from the Rush camp.

The House should have already "turned". Democrats got 600,000 more votes in House race last years than Republicans got. That's what district gerrymandering will do for the country.

Again, they're playing by the rules. I don't want to pick a fight (I've trolled enough already) but I hope your disdain 'for the rules' applies equally to the dems when they're using them for things you agree with.

The government hasd never been shutdown to defund a law has been passed and confirmed by the Supreme Court.

The government hasd never been shutdown to defund a law has been passed and confirmed by the Supreme Court.

I mean RJ has a point with this statement. What the tea party and the scared sheep that is the rest of the republican house is doing is unheard of. Using this tactic you could repeal or stop any law that could or has been made. Who wants segregation back, woman's right to vote gone, immigration reform ill show you reform kick everyone out or no funding.

Without rehashing hundreds of posts, there's never been a situation like this either. Further, I might argue Roberts didn't confirm the law so much as he pitched it back to the electorate. It may take a while, but the electorate will eventually settle either for or against the law. We're in a transition period... so the politics are most entertaining, no?

@jonahray
Kevin Costner just delivered my mail by horse.

What did I say that was insulting to you, beatrix? Compare what you said to what Wrangor has been saying repeatedly over the last 3 or 4 threads on this topic? That's what you were doing. If you don't like being compared to Wrangor (and I certainly wouldn't blame you for that), you should stop mimicking his arguments on this subject.

In my trolling posture, I heard it as I was parroting Wrangor, as opposed to thinking for myself. Apologies if I misinterpreted.

Without rehashing hundreds of posts, there's never been a situation like this either. Further, I might argue Roberts didn't confirm the law so much as he pitched it back to the electorate. It may take a while, but the electorate will eventually settle either for or against the law. We're in a transition period... so the politics are most entertaining, no?

I notice you conveniently neglected my offer where both sides have to give something up. You want the Dems to unilaterally capitulate without the GOP giving anything up.

@FlyoverJoel: Six injured in Yellowstone Shutdown injury while putting a lid on Old Faithful.

Back