• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How much do you tip your barber?

$3 on like $13 or $14. They do a poor job 2/3 of the time. I have stick straight hair that grows really fast.

I come from strong, hairy, Slavic stock, and my hair grows in approximately 400 different directions. I only get it cut like 3-4X a year, when I buzz it all off. In between that time it grows into a glorious curly mess.

Oh we know, my friend. We know.

townie.jpg

$10 on a $45, but I go to a super hip place and I like my woman, so I splurge on it every other month or so after being a strong $3-5 on a $15 or so for like 20 years.

I go to an 80 year old Cuban fella that is straight up old school as fuck it's like getting my haircut in Cuba in 1950. And he does a good job except every once in a while he shaves too high around the ears

I go to a very Italian place. The really regular regulars get a peck on the cheek Godfather-style. I'm not at that status.

I used to go to this Russian place when my wife lived in Brooklyn that was very hit or miss, but there was this super old dude who presumably owned the place or maybe lived in the barbershop, not certain, but either way he was there all day every day and never cut hair as far as I could tell, but his job was to sit in a chair in the corner, sipping vodka, eating cigars from start to finish, and reading Playboy. He was utterly captivating.

Kinda miss that place. George's on 5th ave in Brooklyn.

I go to an 80 year old Cuban fella that is straight up old school as fuck it's like getting my haircut in Cuba in 1950. And he does a good job except every once in a while he shaves too high around the ears

Man, how much was Gobble's? That dude was old school racist employing dudes right out of the joint who were even more racist. And he gave me some full on military cuts a couple of times. But was cheap, and you got the straight razor back of neck thing.

Oh man Mr Gobbles. Totally forgot about that fella. Cutting hair and telling racist jokes like woah.

I followed my hair chica to a new place where she is a co-owner. Her and a bunch of her dirty hipsters friends left various places and started their own deal about 5-6 years ago. It was inexpensive at first (still more than you cheap mooks pay), so when they first moved over I tipped her 10 on 30 for an even 40. Now the place has blown up, really exploded in popularity and expanded their space. The neighborhood around them used to be shitty and now carpetbagging yuppie scum like Cav live there. She jacked her price up to like $37 so now I only tip her 7 on 37 for an even $45.

$40 is sort of my ceiling, so I need to find a new up and comer I guess, but she does a great job.

$5 on $15 over at Mt. Tabor. Consistently good haircuts, plus straight razor on neck. I was surprised they don't do shaves over there, also.

$5 on $15 over at Mt. Tabor. Consistently good haircuts, plus straight razor on neck. I was surprised they don't do shaves over there, also.

This. I've been going to Billy and the family at Mt. Tabor for 16 years. $5 on a $15 cut.

$15 seems low for a good haircut in my experience. It took me a long time to find a guy who could cut my hair well and consistently the same way.

Are ya'll going to a franchise place or a local person and how often?

I get my hair cut about every 2-3 weeks. Since I am in the Army Reserve, I maintain a military regulation haircut. I don't have all that much hair left to begin with, so cutting my hair isn't complicated. Accordingly, I would be unwilling to pay more than $20 for a haircut, particularly since I get it cut roughly twice a month.

As I said above, I've been going to Mount Tabor barber shop for a long time. It appears that quite of few of us on the boards who live in Winston do the same. Billy, Ricky, Heather and Kayla (and the others) do a great job and are incredibly friendly. It is quick and convenient as well.

I followed my hair chica to a new place where she is a co-owner. Her and a bunch of her dirty hipsters friends left various places and started their own deal about 5-6 years ago. It was inexpensive at first (still more than you cheap mooks pay), so when they first moved over I tipped her 10 on 30 for an even 40. Now the place has blown up, really exploded in popularity and expanded their space. The neighborhood around them used to be shitty and now carpetbagging yuppie scum like Cav live there. She jacked her price up to like $37 so now I only tip her 7 on 37 for an even $45.

$40 is sort of my ceiling, so I need to find a new up and comer I guess, but she does a great job.

I'm in roughly the same boat (and location). There just aren't many options in Atlanta. You can get a shitty haircut for $15 or feel like you overpaid for $40+.

I had a couple of co-workers recommend people that I ended up giving a shot... Nice people, but they did a terrible job.

Has been a big source of frustration since moving up here 4 years ago... Which is silly because I have a boring, easy haircut.

Yeah, Im on my 3rd place in about 10 years. First midtown, then west midtown then inman park. All three of those places were sort of relatively cheap outposts in a gentrifying section of the city when I started and went up in price like 20-30 percent in 2-3 years so I moved on.

Depends on the effort - usually $5 on $20, but if Im with the kid, I drop $15 on $40 cause who wants to cut a 7 year olds hair.

Back