• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How much worse will it get?

It would be so awesome if dv7 could be get his Playground a la Kanhoji.

Prior to hiring [Redacted], did the Richmond coach adamantly withdraw his name from consideration?

Insider says that he was never in consideration in the first place, which is absurd.

ETA: not that our insiders are really insiders.

I just dont get what some of you people expect. We knew this team was going to have a rough year

Insider says that he was never in consideration in the first place, which is absurd.

Mooney only had 1 NCAA appearance in 5 seasons when Dino was canned.

After two seasons, he was 21-39 overall and his highest finish was 11th in the A10.

He led Richmond to the CBI tourney in his 3rd and 4th seasons.

After two seasons, he was 21-39 overall and his highest finish was 11th in the A10.

Better than Bzz's record

It would be so awesome if dv7 could be get his Playground a la Kanhoji.

Just confine them both to the same playground. Then it starts to feel like some old greek literature with two titans, sworn enemies, are banished to the same plane for all eternity.

Last edited:
Mooney was never a candidate.

I really, really wanted him when Dino was fired though.

He can coach. No doubt about it.

Wonder if the UR fans were ready to run him out of town when his only accomplishment after 4 seasons was a pair of CBI appearances?

What hurts the most is that when we are this bad- I could give 2 shits about college basketball in general. I've lost my appetite for college basketball in the past 2 years. I couldn't tell you who is the Top 25 this year other than usual suspects (Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc.).

yeah I saw the light blue assholes vs dark blue assholes thread and had to think hard for awhile what it related to. I was thinking wow it's a little early for the ESPN hype machine to schedule a Duke vs UNC game.

But yeah... I feel very bad for Travis losing to a program from his hometown that I'm sure he'd NEVER think could ever have a shot at beating Wake. We're in some seriously dark dark days.

If Mooney had had his 2010-2011 season in 2009-2010, I'm guessing he would have been on Wellman's short list. Unfortunately, he only became a hot name last year.

Through 8 Games

2010: 5-3
Points for: 606
Points against: 584
+/-: +22
RPI of wins: 153, 269, 305, 185, 285
Against top-150: 0-1

2011:
5-3
Points for: 568
Points against: 562
+/-: +6
RPI of wins: 159, 304, 270, 161, 153
Against top-150: 0-2

Ouch

He took over a worse situation than [Redacted] did.

His "basketball" resume when we hired [Redacted] was at worse the same as [Redacted]'s (despite inheriting a much worse situation at Richmond than [Redacted] inherited at either Colorado or Air Force), but he's 20 years younger, had spent the last 5-6 years coaching in the mid-Atlantic, coached at a school very similar to Wake Forest, and played for one of the most legendary motivators in college basketball.

Mooney made more sense than [Redacted] in every possible way, except [Redacted] had beat a very bad Wake team by 30ish points, and Mooney hadn't.

Last edited:
If Mooney had had his 2010-2011 season in 2009-2010, I'm guessing he would have been on Wellman's short list. Unfortunately, he only became a hot name last year.

That isn't saying much for Wellman.

Not really defending Wellman, just agreeing that Mooney wasn't a hot name until last year. I don't remember many folks who were advocating for Mooney on the boards after Dino was canned.

Not really defending Wellman, just agreeing that Mooney wasn't a hot name until last year. I don't remember many folks who were advocating for Mooney on the boards after Dino was canned.

I was.

I wouldn't get too enamored with Mooney. He's a pretty unlikeable guy when you see him up close. I doubt he'd be any more loved by this fan base than our loyal Bzz isn't.

Back