• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How to save the GOP from itself

*this post was uploaded from the Land of Jorts and Single-wides*

Just got home from Disney World. People from all over the world "emigrated" there for a long weekend to enjoy the best American capitalism has to offer in entertainment and hospitality.

Just got home from Disney World. People from all over the world "emigrated" there for a long weekend to enjoy the best American capitalism has to offer in entertainment and hospitality.

Better you than me.

If you want the best in American capitalism's entertainment and hospitality, go to Vegas.

Better you than me.

If you want the best in American capitalism's entertainment and hospitality, go to Vegas.

They're two sides of the same coin. Just depends if you have kids or not.

Do you do anything to help aid problems other than opine on a message board?i just get tired of the "woe is the U.S." Talk. We are a pretty awesome country. Probably The greatest to ever exist. Anyone can make it I. This country. We have problems of corse and we can work on them. But to act like we aren't the world leaders in pretty much everything is asinine.

That is about it for my Murica rant.

I found it laughable that there is talk about 6 weeks paternity leave. Please shoot me in the face if I have to spend 24 hours a day taking care of my two awesome kids. I love them to death but I go nuts without work. I can't imagine any boss not laughing at me if I suggested I needed 6 weeks paid vacation after my wife birthed a baby.
Maternity leave is another story. I still don't like mandatory govt gifted leave but I think we could give business incentives for companies to do so and let the market figure it out.

These are definetly #firstworldproblems though. Our forefathers would laugh at us for getting into arguments about maternity or paternity leave.

Let's see if I understand this, we're both spending time posting on the same website, same thread, yet that's somehow an argument against my political stance?
Let me try this:
What have you done for all the women in this country, present and future, so that they don't need paid maternity leave, besides opine on a message board?

Nah forget it, that's a stupid rebuttal.

I just get tired of the "America is awesome" talk because it completely ignores all the terrible shit that happens here, and the improvements we still need to make.

That's kind of my point. America is awesome. We aren't Pau Pau New Guinea. 😎

Let's see if I understand this, we're both spending time posting on the same website, same thread, yet that's somehow an argument against my political stance?
Let me try this:
What have you done for all the women in this country, present and future, so that they don't need paid maternity leave, besides opine on a message board?

Nah forget it, that's a stupid rebuttal.

I just get tired of the "America is awesome" talk because it completely ignores all the terrible shit that happens here, and the improvements we still need to make.

Fair enough. I see the glass as half full and you see it as half empty. Point taken.

Much of American's awesomeness comes at the expense of others: poor working conditions subsidize our wild consumption, trade agreements and financial policy (via the World Bank et al) made with/toward desperate nations (many that we fucked over via the CIA and others) heavily in our favor, military action that rips apart other countries, environmental havoc outsourced to, again, finance our consumption. America is a great place to live because America bullies others. Not sure how you can take too much pride in that.

I disagree with pretty much every Wrangor non-bball post, but I will step up and say I give him props for doing his thing in Mississippi.

I really invest most of my time in education. We have had some great success in early childhood Ed in the county I work and in my hometown I am heavily involved in a school for at risk young men. Mississippi has as many problems as any state in the U.S. In glad to help as I assume most of the people on this board are in their communities. That is where the difference can be made.

Thanks for the props.

I've spent time in the Delta -- it's got a lot of character. It's not easy living for many there, but the down-talking of Mississippi (and similar states) bothers me.

That's kind of my point. America is awesome. We aren't Pau Pau New Guinea. 

Which is entirely the reason it's obscene that we share the same maternity leave laws with them.

Why is that obscene?

Because for all the talk about how much we care about people and moral compasses and the like, we don't really put our money where our mouth is. Not anymore, anyway. Profits > quality of life = America is all talk.

Much of American's awesomeness comes at the expense of others: poor working conditions subsidize our wild consumption, trade agreements and financial policy (via the World Bank et al) made with/toward desperate nations (many that we fucked over via the CIA and others) heavily in our favor, military action that rips apart other countries, environmental havoc outsourced to, again, finance our consumption. America is a great place to live because America bullies others. Not sure how you can take too much pride in that.

Yeah I just don't agree with that narrative. We were a great country and the world leader way before any of that started taking place. Our environmental footprint is way less than any other competitive manufacturing nation. Our trade agreements are certainly a point well taken but that is part of being the big dog. We take a lot of hits for the world as well. We deserve some perks. We are by far a positive force on both the world economy and security.

Back