• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How to save the GOP from itself

Let's not assume that levelling with people and telling them the truth equals "shouting down." We need to stop lying to people about the solutions to their problems being a deduction to someone else's take home pay. But while we're at it, I'd rather shout the truth to people than whisper sweet nothings about other people's privilege and rich folks not paying their fair share, and other lies from the Victim Narrative Political Playbook.

But a reduction in someone else's take home pay his fine, right?

There are more things than just taxes that lower someone's pay, jhmd.

Let's not assume that levelling with people and telling them the truth equals "shouting down." We need to stop lying to people about the solutions to their problems being a deduction to someone else's take home pay. But while we're at it, I'd rather shout the truth to people than whisper sweet nothings about other people's privilege and rich folks not paying their fair share, and other lies from the Victim Narrative Political Playbook.

I'm down with some tough conversations, but I think that needs to alongside a true investment in community resources in long-neglected areas. A few suggestions (these are Chicago-specific):

- Treat the poor neighborhoods the same as the wealthy ones with regard to infrastructure. Fix potholes in the same timely manner, maintain signs the same way, invest in beautification in an equal way. Physical environment goes a long way. Infrastructure projects can also be a big job creator.

- Likewise, invest in the schools equally, and not just financially. Work to spread the best teachers and administrators across the city.

- Re-invest in mental health facilities and hire more social workers, job skills trainers, arts instructors, sports team coaches, park employees, librarians, etc. instead of more cops.

- Offer sound financial literacy training.

Yeah, this is going to cost up front, but I think it goes a long way and would be more effective than cutting welfare and food stamps and continuing a cycle of neglect.

- Treat the poor neighborhoods the same as the wealthy ones with regard to infrastructure. Fix potholes in the same timely manner, maintain signs the same way, invest in beautification in an equal way. Physical environment goes a long way. Infrastructure projects can also be a big job creator.

This is presumably the logic behind "broken windows" policing.

Not quite the same in that you aren't focusing disproportionate resources on criminalizing vandalism, etc. More so that when the winter sucks and creates potholes all over the city, the rich areas aren't the only ones who get them fixed in the spring.

I was saying that the logic behind "broken windows" policing is basically "Physical environment goes a long way" but enforcement of that is only against small offenders rather than taking a hard look at how city resources are used to accomplish those goals.

Well, we don't promise to protect "religious freedom" and "traditional marriage" or the "sanctity of life" for new fetuses, we don't promise tax cuts for the rich. We don't promise to put boots on the ground for every uprising in the middle east. We don't promise to protect industry from rising minimum wage, or to protect the fracking industry from the EPA, we don't promise to include creationism in science text books, or to keep historical American wrongs out of the AP History course. We don't promise to deport every illegal immigrant.

I could go on, but I think it's fair to say that we're not everything to everyone.

Just curious, how do you define new fetuses?

And my point is that there are no "offenders" in the scenario discussed.

Right. I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. I was saying that the stated goals of public policy are used to justify targeting crime poor neighborhoods and not devoting resources to those same neighborhoods.

What if they were? Would that mean potholes are a more important issue?

Not exactly sure of the current system, but Germany used to give working mothers 6 months paid maternity leave and companies were required to guarantee a comparable job for up to 3 years to moms who left the company following the birth of a child.

Bunch of thugs out here with their sledgehammers and marijuana cigarettes.

r

But we're talking about overall public policy. Read Juice's post again.

If potholes were being created by criminals, yes, that would make their repair more important from a crime prevention standpoint under a "broken windows" philosophy of policing.

Huge pothole on Six Forks Road near the Whole Foods, right across from the new apartment buildings. Population density AND poor maintenance? Man, I can only imagine what life is going to be like in war-torn North Raleigh. I am starting to miss personal responsibility already...

Huge pothole on Six Forks Road near the Whole Foods, right across from the new apartment buildings. Population density AND poor maintenance? Man, I can only imagine what life is going to be like in war-torn North Raleigh. I am starting to miss personal responsibility already...

You on the wrong end of Six Forks, bruh.

Back