• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How to save the GOP from itself

What perks are you talking about compared to the perks we are talking about?

'Murica is awesome and I want it to be more awesome for more Americans. That's probably most of my political stances in a nutshell.

Addendum to reflect my stance.

'Murica is awesome and I want it to be more awesome. That's probably most of my political stances in a nutshell.

I think this is the overall point of us 'Murica haters. It's a great place, but it could be so much better if we could get past our own hubris and actually do something about the very real problems we have.

I think some problems are more problematic. I don't see mandatory paid maternity and paternity leave as a problem that is worth pouring a ton of money into. Would rather see that money go into education. Just my personal opinion. We have a finite amount of resources. We can't be everything to everyone.

I think this is the overall point of us 'Murica haters. It's a great place, but it could be so much better if we could get past our own hubris and actually do something about the very real problems we have.

Platitude accepted.

I think some problems are more problematic. I don't see mandatory paid maternity and paternity leave as a problem that is worth pouring a ton of money into. Would rather see that money go into education. Just my personal opinion. We have a finite amount of resources. We can't be everything to everyone.

^ This guy gets it.

Snark noted. You got anything else?

No, Wrangor already said it well. What are the "actual problems" you believe we should first address. B/c I see a ton of posts around these parts where we deal with politically fashionable, fringe topics like 75 year old housing policy or 0.1% of gun violence, or the absence of European style workplace comforts, and very little attention to actual, "actual problems."

eta: for example, advance a grand total of one whole page for the War on Potholes.* Okay, let's break out the Quik-crete and the orange cones. We'll get to fixing the families later. First things first, amirite?

* It pains me to say it, because I like this poster.

Last edited:
Why don't you provide us with a list of "actual" problems and we'll just cherry pick off that, since we're incapable of determining what an actual problem is.

Great to see the solidarity as the Wrangors and jhmds stand up with Papau New Guinea in opposition to paid maternity leave - since it's not an actual problem.

Last edited:
Why don't you provide us with a list of "actual" problems and we'll just cherry pick off that, since we 're incapable of determining what an actual problem is.

Like most of us, I'd like to start with population density and other people's privileges and work down the list from there.

Like most of us, I'd like to start with population density and other people's privileges and work down the list from there.
Your hatred/misunderstanding of statistics isnt nearly as entertaining as RJ's was.

Your hatred/misunderstanding of statistics isnt nearly as entertaining as RJ's was.

Riiiiight. You guys keep turning that soft-bigoted eye towards the devastating impacts of a cratered family structure and have the temerity to tell other people that they don't understand the stats. Seventy-by-God-percent. Should work out great.

Yeah I just don't agree with that narrative. We were a great country and the world leader way before any of that started taking place. Our environmental footprint is way less than any other competitive manufacturing nation. Our trade agreements are certainly a point well taken but that is part of being the big dog. We take a lot of hits for the world as well. We deserve some perks. We are by far a positive force on both the world economy and security.

My point re: the environment was that other countries create environmental disasters in their own lands (see: much of Asia) because we outsource our production to places with low worker and environmental protection, which allows us to consume goods cheaply. It's not exactly a zero-sum game, but the raise in standards elsewhere will result in a decrease in consumption here, which our government goes to great lengths to prevent at the expense of others.

Riiiiight. You guys keep turning that soft-bigoted eye towards the devastating impacts of a cratered family structure and have the temerity to tell other people that they don't understand the stats. Seventy-by-God-percent. Should work out great.

I think you and I agree about the importance of strong family and community structure in the development of a person, but do you believe that shouting down and austerity are effective ways of piecing that back together?

Like most of us I'd like to start with population density and other people's privileges and work down the list from there.

Actually, let's start here and work down the list from there.

This kind of thinking is what is wrong with the Republican Party. How can we expect to win national elections against democrats who promise to be all things to all people?
Well, we don't promise to protect "religious freedom" and "traditional marriage" or the "sanctity of life" for new fetuses, we don't promise tax cuts for the rich. We don't promise to put boots on the ground for every uprising in the middle east. We don't promise to protect industry from rising minimum wage, or to protect the fracking industry from the EPA, we don't promise to include creationism in science text books, or to keep historical American wrongs out of the AP History course. We don't promise to deport every illegal immigrant.

I could go on, but I think it's fair to say that we're not everything to everyone.

But if JHMD has a good idea for encouraging marriage on the national level, that doesn't include removing government assistance, i'm all ears.

I think you and I agree about the importance of strong family and community structure in the development of a person, but do you believe that shouting down and austerity are effective ways of piecing that back together?

Let's not assume that levelling with people and telling them the truth equals "shouting down." We need to stop lying to people about the solutions to their problems being a deduction to someone else's take home pay. But while we're at it, I'd rather shout the truth to people than whisper sweet nothings about other people's privilege and rich folks not paying their fair share, and other lies from the Victim Narrative Political Playbook.

Back