• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How to Shave like a GD man

HalIncandenza

Reaction score
Teach me.

I'm pretty sure I want to take the dip into the world of straight-edge razors, badger brushes, shaving soaps and the like, but I have no idea what differentiates anything. What should I be looking for in terms of normal dude(read: not highest end) quality for each of those things?

I got a straight edge thing in Vegas one time cause I thought it would be baller. It was miserable and leaves a huge rash.

Woah... Easy pussies. Straight edge is the shit. I plan on getting one done for my birthday this year. It's like a spa treatment for men. Sure you're getting pampered but a dude has a fucking straight razor against your throat.

I used to own a straight razor but couldn't get it sharp enough. I highly recommend getting them done somewhere. My razor was a gift from my brother and I imagine he was a cheap bastard. It might cost to be the boss.

I used to go to a barber by the fairgrounds in Raleigh. Dude was like 90 and had the shakes. He would do the back of your neck with a straight blade and one day I got a shave. Scariest minutes of my life. Never felt so alive.

do you mean a safety razor? that's usually what i see recommended whenever i google shaving like a goddamn man. i'm curious as well.

I got a straight edge thing in Vegas one time cause I thought it would be baller. It was miserable and leaves a huge rash.

I got one in New Orleans. Same thing. My face looked and felt like I'd just gone face diving on field turf.

do you mean a safety razor? that's usually what i see recommended whenever i google shaving like a goddamn man. i'm curious as well.

A friend of mine uses a safety razor and swears by it. Says he gets a much closer shave.

you could always try out the starter kit from art of shaving (i think like ~$50) which includes a badger brush, pre-shave oil, cream, and aftershave balm

can be used with or without a safety razor, but could be a good first step towards shaving like a man

i think it is more expensive than the shave soap/bowl routine however

I use an electric precisely because I hate having a close shave. I feel too baby-faced and cloth or even wind kind of tickles.

Where can you find a good brush? I'd prefer not online just because I'd like to have hands on before I bought it.

getting a straight razor shave at the barber is not that great, imo.

you can get a brush online from the art of shaving

If you are in winston by chance, head over to the board room for a straight razor shave, they run $45. Or you can get a package with a haircut, straight razor shave, and manicure for $100.

The board room also sells the art of shaving stuff, but their supplies are limited.

There is an art of shaving store at southpark mall.

If you are anywhere near the charlotte area, or anywhere near an Art of Shaving store, that is your best option to get started. Their stuff is high as giraffe vagina, but in my opinion it is worth it.

Thanks for the info. I'm in Wilmington but will try to stop by there when I'm in the area

i've been using it for a few months. i like it, i don't know that the blades are much better than the nicer ones you can buy at the store but its nice to always have fresh blades without having to remember them. and its way way cheaper.

oh - and their customer service is awesome. the handle broke last week and i had a new one shipped to me no questions asked within like 5 days.

And you also shave your head IIRC, so you probs go through more blades than others. I've thought about it, but I don't go through blades often enough for it to make sense. I really only shave like 3 times a week.

Back