• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How to Shave like a GD man

Decided to start shaving again and went with a Merkur34c safety razor - first time using one. So far so good; no cuts, but not quite getting as smooth a shave as I'd like. I assume with more practice it's easier to get the razor at the right angle more consistently? I'm also wondering if I should change up the blade? Anyone have a brand they really like? Is it worth it to get the mixed packs? (I'm using a Merkur blade currently)

I've been a Proraso fan for a while so I'm using their pre-shave cream, shaving cream, and aftershave.

BIggest thing I've noticed since switching to the safety razor is taking much shorter strokes. Too long and not nearly as close a shave.
If you are confident in your shaving, i use the Rockwell double edge. I started with the Parker as it wasn't quite as sharp or "agressive" until i got more confident. Also depnds on your skin type...sensitivity etc. Do a quick google review and figure out what works for you

Decided to start shaving again and went with a Merkur34c safety razor - first time using one. So far so good; no cuts, but not quite getting as smooth a shave as I'd like. I assume with more practice it's easier to get the razor at the right angle more consistently? I'm also wondering if I should change up the blade? Anyone have a brand they really like? Is it worth it to get the mixed packs? (I'm using a Merkur blade currently)

I've been a Proraso fan for a while so I'm using their pre-shave cream, shaving cream, and aftershave.
I would recommend Feather blades.

BIggest thing I've noticed since switching to the safety razor is taking much shorter strokes. Too long and not nearly as close a shave.
I've found this and a quality lather make a huge difference. I started using Stirling soaps a few years ago and have not once regretted that decision.

When I first started wet shaving, I purchased a sampler pack from Amazon, and over the course of the year tried out 20 or so different brands. I liked Feather, but it wasn't ultimately my choice. Oddly enough, I chose the Gillette 7 o'clock blades.

I am curious as to the actual blade/shaving head/ handle configuration all the safety razor bros use. Any razor with some type of not sharp protective guard near and paralell to the extremely sharp blade is a "safety razor." So how retro are you going? Which of the razors in my collection fits your definition of shaving like a man?

The cartridge shaving heads common today have one or more blades embedded in a block of plastic that also has the safety guard. They are a variant of safety razor in that the guard is part of the disposable blade. These were introduced in 1970 with the single blade Wilkinson bonded blade. The number of blades per cartridge has increased about once a decade since.

Are you going back to the razor described in this patent for "new and useful improvements in Safety-Razors", filed in May 1880 by Frederic and Otto Kampfe of Brooklyn, New York? This is the first official mention of the term "safety razor." The blade on this razor had to be honed and stropped regularly to keep it sharp. Not an easy task.

I am guessing most are going back to the pre WWI (1904) style safety razor with disposable blade patented by King Camp Gillette in 1904. This is the first not resharpenable disposable razor blade shaving system. Two sides of the blade were sharp and the shaving head held the extremely thin blade tightly to make it rigid enough for shaving. The head also incorporated a safety guard for each sharp side of the blade. After the blade was used and dull, the blade head opened, the used blade removed and discarded, a new blade inserted and the head closed.

The army issued Gillette razors to soldiers during WWI and allowed the soldier to keep them when they mustered out. The Gillette philosophy was "give away razors. Sell blades."

Gem Cutlery and the American Safety Razor Company made single edge blade razors. They are similar to the Gillette design, except that only one edge is sharp and the other is wrapped to protect the user's fingers while changing blades. Gem single edge razor blades are still commonly used for industrial purposes.

Others may be using the injector style, patented by Jacob Schick in 1926. This improved safety because the user never had to touch the sharp blade. The shaving head included the safety guard. 20 blades came in a cartridge. The cartridge tongue was inserted into the shaving head, the cartridge slide was pushed forward to inject a fresh blade into the shaving head, while simultaneously pushing the used blade out. If the user was smart, the whole process was done over a trashcan so the ejected used blade fell into the trash.

Wilkinson Sword developed and started selling stainless steel razor blades in 1962. They mimicked the Gillette style double edge razor. However, they didn't rust and lasted much longer. Carbon steel blades are still available, but hard to find. Some swear they give a better first shave, but not second.

Or are you going really old school, back to a circa 1762 invention by French cutler Jean-Jacques Perret which added a protective guard to a regular straight razor.

So, just how far back in my collection of razor styles and types do I need to go to shave like a man? I am not going back to rusty carbon steel blades. Not happening.

@Deaconblue - I've decided to shave again with a Merkur 34c (double edge safety razor). I think that falls into the pre-war category.

Pre-WWI style

I have a straight razor that was my grandfather's, but I do not have the balls to use it. Afraid I'll slit my throat.

I would recommend Feather blades.
Feather Blades are wear it's at if you have a tough beard. It took me a while to figure this out but it's my standard. If it's only been a couple days and I don't have much growth, I can get away with a sharp but not-Feather sharp blade and it's smooth. But 4 days plus, Feather or nothing.

What shave soap are you all using and why ?
I switched to Stirling Soaps a few year back after the Mrs upgraded my shaving setup. I really like the texture and lathering of their soap vs mass produced. Always with a badger tail brush.

For post shave balm, I tried Stirlingd offerings, but prefer Nivea for men. It's non drying and allows the scent from the shave soap to shine through.

So, for those of you who are shaving using razors and blades like those used by President Kennedy, how many have the blade disposal slot in the back of your medicine cabinet?

I switched to Stirling Soaps a few year back after the Mrs upgraded my shaving setup. I really like the texture and lathering of their soap vs mass produced. Always with a badger tail brush.

For post shave balm, I tried Stirlingd offerings, but prefer Nivea for men. It's non drying and allows the scent from the shave soap to shine through.

Tx. Just ordered a sample pack of the Stirling Soaps

I've never used shave soap. I've always used shave cream. I've liked and used Taylor of Old Bond St., Truefitt & Hill, and Geo F. Trumper.
I prefer Old Bond St. Cream to the shaving soap. Shaving soap seems to be more economical, but not as good a lather.

Same, I shave maybe 2x a week. I bought a can of barbasol like a year ago when I stopped with the beard trimmer and figured once that’s done I’ll buy a better shaving cream/soap/etc but the thing won’t run out. Great value!

Back