• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

Good luck with that. You guys do realize that nothing is going to come of this, right?

Bribes have been paid, threats have been made, and one or two low-level scapegoats will be blamed. The end.

Can't imagine Shaka is gonna want to coach under any sanctions. Wes Miller come on down

Big time sports and academics gotta split. I honestly don't care whether or not McCants or any of those guys went to class. This isn't Quiz Bowl.

This 100%. Use the sports club model in Europe. Let universities and colleges educate.

Agreed. The schools and continue to "sponsor" a club and even receive some kind of compensation for the branding. It's just ludicrous to think the current model can continue to survive.

From an interview with Roy 2 years ago...

North Carolina coach Roy Williams reiterated Wednesday to Taylor Zarzour and Marc James at Charlotte radio station 610-AM that he is bothered by the academic scandal in his school’s African and Afro-American Studies department. But he also reiterated that he thinks things have been done the right way in his basketball program since he returned from Kansas in 2003.

“No question about it,’’ Williams told “The Drive.” “Our track record is pretty doggone good. And our track record has been pretty doggone good for 15 years at Kansas, nine years at North Carolina. And we know how much we emphasize the academic side in the basketball office. We know what our guys are majoring in. We know -- every day we’re in touch with those kids. So it’s something, again, that I’m very proud of.

“And am I going to sit here and say there is absolutely no way nothing will ever happen? Nothing will ever show up? We don’t know what’s going on every day. I mean, I’ve got 13 to 17 kids, counting the walk-ons and things like that. You don’t know. But boy, I feel really, really good about what’s happened academically in the basketball program since we came.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/north-carol...d/9068/uncs-williams-bothered-by-afam-scandal

In touch every day but no idea what McCants was taking or how he got onto the Dean's List after failing two classes the previous semester. Roy FTW.

The "I did not know defense" is pretty weak, especially in regards to academics. While I fully realize that a coach cannot manage the time or actions of their team at all times, there absolutely must be oversight on the classes, academic progress and eligibility. Either there is knowledge and Roy was okay with it OR he truly did not know his team was taking bogus classes that helped keep them eligible. Neither option is defensible. Guess how many times I get to use the "I did not know" excuse in my job, especially related to a core responsibility.

The "I did not know defense" is pretty weak, especially in regards to academics. While I fully realize that a coach cannot manage the time or actions of their team at all times, there absolutely must be oversight on the classes, academic progress and eligibility. Either there is knowledge and Roy was okay with it OR he truly did not know his team was taking bogus classes that helped keep them eligible. Neither option is defensible. Guess how many times I get to use the "I did not know" excuse in my job, especially related to a core responsibility.

At the end, SOMEONE thought up and created damn near an entire sham department solely for the purpose of keeping athletes eligible. There's no way that the AD and Roy didn't know about, if not actively encourage, the practice. Someone had to work with boosters to pay off the professor...he didn't do it out of the kindness of his heart. Someone had to alert the AD's academic advisers that the classes were available. Someone had to notice that the players were getting A's and B's in the classes while never actually having to attend class. Someone was funneling funds to tutors to write papers and pay parking tickets. The list goes on...

At the end, SOMEONE thought up and created damn near an entire sham department solely for the purpose of keeping athletes eligible. There's no way that the AD and Roy didn't know about, if not actively encourage, the practice. Someone had to work with boosters to pay off the professor...he didn't do it out of the kindness of his heart. Someone had to alert the AD's academic advisers that the classes were available. Someone had to notice that the players were getting A's and B's in the classes while never actually having to attend class. Someone was funneling funds to tutors to write papers and pay parking tickets. The list goes on...

And if no one did know these things, that's a clear case of "lack of institutional control."

and on . . . . and on . . . . and on

"I feel" is a pretty weak defense.

If NCAA doesn't hammer UNC they can forget about ever convincing anyone ever again as to their diligence in making certain that athletes at member institutions are also students.

The NCAA is more worried about amateurism than education.

Didn't Roy bring an "academic advisor" with him from Kansas, just for basketball, even though UNC doesn't usually have separate ones for each sport? Maybe this guy is the guy pulling the strings(on the academics side) and Roy wants plausible deniability (but I don't think he succeeded). I'm sure it didn't take his advisor long to find out about AFAM and have the players lining up for those classes.

Back