• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I thought Grobe chose to leave- but now I hear he's getting a buyout?

I do not object to an arrangement which permitted Grobe to leave with dignity.

And I would expect that his contract had provisions for an early termination.

Yea.

Everyone should go watch his 2 minute interview with Dan on the WSJ website (second video). That is a man who was "encouraged" to step aside.

Wow. Thanks for the link. Interesting that Grobe states that he personally still has plenty of energy. But lack of 'support' and 'energy' from the fans is what ultimately did him in.

Wow. Thanks for the link. Interesting that Grobe states that he personally still has plenty of energy. But lack of 'support' and 'energy' from the fans is what ultimately did him in.

He hardly moved an inch in 13 years and he certainly did not show any emotion during games or practices. Grobe should now be well rested with plenty of energy.

The fact that people are shocked there's a buyout and that Grobe was forced/encouraged to step aside is actually a testament to how well-handled the whole thing was on all sides.

BabyDeac usually has a pretty good read on what's going on, but I think this is one instance where they have to be wrong. All indications were Grobe had decided to leave- it was solely his decision. Wasn't there at least one question at the press conference asking if Grobe was getting money?

Baby is usually spot on. In this instance, his take is consistent with what I have heard.

Also, I wonder if the assistant coaches are getting a buyout?

The assistant coaches are on 1 year contracts. They get no buy-out.

Amazed by the naivete here. Jim Grobe had about $7 million left on his contract, plus a $1 million+ annuity if he stayed to the end of his contract. WF and Grobe negotiated that contract after Grobe was about to get a big payday from Arkansas (and even if he had been fired from Arky, he would have made a ton of money). So, how could anyone rationally think that he walked away with nothing, when he could have stayed and made $8 million+? Of course, Wellman pushed Grobe out, and like any rational human, Grobe received payment from WF to allow WF to unwind itself from a $multi-millon obligation. Would guess that Grobe and WF worked at a deal that saved WF a lot of coin. Naturally, Grobe conducted the news conference with grace and class and was not about to hang Wellman out to dry by revealing that he was pushed out.

A lot of people on here said that we should make Grobe either fire Lobo or he needs to move on too. Wellman very well could have done that, and if so I applaud him. He did what a lot of people wanted him to do.

From what I have heard, something like this happened. Does it make the Wellman haters feel any different about him?

Wow - those interview clips make me sad. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that Coach Grobe was asked at the presser whether, "anyone had tried to convince him to stay at WFU and continue coaching?" Grobe responded,in a word, "No." Are we to believe that Wellman didn't even try to convince Coach Grobe to stay on for another year? This clearly wasn't a retirement because Coach Grobe sounded so excited about continuing his coaching career. A resignation - I'm not buying Wellman's BS. Years from now we will look back on Grobe's tenure fondly. Regretfully, like many things during Wellman's reign, the end of Grobe's WFU career was bungled. Like everyone else, I'm excited about some new coaching blood (assuming Wellman doesn't hire another buddy or otherwise use nepotism to make a decision) but Coach Grobe deserved a better exit than he received from WFU. Regardless of his win/loss record - Grobe did much for WFU. For much of Grobe's time, WFU sorta transformed into a football school. For an athletic department founded on ACC basketball, Grobe took WFU football to a pinnacle that we may not see again. I may get criticized for saying it - but I have never forgiven Wellman for the way in which Coach Odom's tenure ended. The treatment of Coach Grobe is worse.

Changing football coaches is one thing. WAKE me up when there is a change in AD and head basketball coach.

The fact that people are shocked there's a buyout and that Grobe was forced/encouraged to step aside is actually a testament to how well-handled the whole thing was on all sides.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DCDeac again.

If Grobe was pushed out it was because of his blind loyalty to an assistant coach who did not get the job done for FIVE PLUS YEARS.

A lot of people on here said that we should make Grobe either fire Lobo or he needs to move on too. Wellman very well could have done that, and if so I applaud him. He did what a lot of people wanted him to do.

From what I heard this weekend that's exactly what happened.

I don't see how Coach Grobe was treated badly. He was allowed to "resign" and conduct an exit press conference engineered by the AD with the AD shedding (crocodile?) tears about how great a guy he was. He gets $2M on top of all the money we've already paid him. Care to count how many other coaches in big time college football have received such kindness after 5 straight losing seasons? Gene Chizik was unceremoniously shit-canned two years after winning a national championship. I don't agree at all that Grobe's exit was mismanaged or bungled. I give Wellman credit for handling it about as well as it could be handled, and Grobe credit for being super classy about it.

Even if Grobe resigned on his own as reported I would expect him & RW to agree on a deal. It is in the best interest of both parties.

I believe that Wellman and Grobe genuinely like and respect one another. Or, at least they did up until this end.

Wow - those interview clips make me sad. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that Coach Grobe was asked at the presser whether, "anyone had tried to convince him to stay at WFU and continue coaching?" Grobe responded,in a word, "No." Are we to believe that Wellman didn't even try to convince Coach Grobe to stay on for another year? This clearly wasn't a retirement because Coach Grobe sounded so excited about continuing his coaching career. A resignation - I'm not buying Wellman's BS. Years from now we will look back on Grobe's tenure fondly. Regretfully, like many things during Wellman's reign, the end of Grobe's WFU career was bungled. Like everyone else, I'm excited about some new coaching blood (assuming Wellman doesn't hire another buddy or otherwise use nepotism to make a decision) but Coach Grobe deserved a better exit than he received from WFU. Regardless of his win/loss record - Grobe did much for WFU. For much of Grobe's time, WFU sorta transformed into a football school. For an athletic department founded on ACC basketball, Grobe took WFU football to a pinnacle that we may not see again. I may get criticized for saying it - but I have never forgiven Wellman for the way in which Coach Odom's tenure ended. The treatment of Coach Grobe is worse.

Changing football coaches is one thing. WAKE me up when there is a change in AD and head basketball coach.

5 straight losing seasons. Wellman handled it well. I figured there was some kind of buyout, but I thought it was actually Grobe's choice. This was very well done on both ends.

Even if Grobe resigned on his own as reported I would expect him & RW to agree on a deal. It is in the best interest of both parties.

Of course it is. None of this is surprising, but I guess some folks will use it negatively to claim that Wellman "lied," which is idiotic, but what can you do?

Back