• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I thought Grobe chose to leave- but now I hear he's getting a buyout?

Whether he was forcibly "retired" or left freely because he knew the program had hit rock bottom, it was time for a change.

Grobe is a good and decent man who has been on cruise-control for the past five years and the program had descended beneath mediocrity. Frankly, while I like Grobe, I think his comments that appear to blame "lack of support from fans" for the program's descent are a classic exercise in blame shifting. He is the one who was paid $2.5 million a year to produce a decent program, and he failed to do it for five consecutive years. In the business world, you don't get five years to produce.

For the record I don't think he was blaming the descent of the program on the fan support at all. I think he meant that because of the descent of the program the fans had lost faith in him and he thought it was the right time for a change. I think he was presented with the option of making major staff changes and that is just something he's not comfortable with and felt it would be better to step away and let completely new blood take over. Jim Grobe doesn't blame any of what happened on the fans, as he said the bottom line is you have to win and he wasn't.

Yeah except when you "resign" instead of being fired the official line will almost always be that you chose to leave. What is the point of letting somebody resign to save face if you publically say you were planning to fire them?

Man don't waste your breath with that midget. If strick were running pr I'd have to fire his ass in a split second.

Grobie opted to resign, because he was told to fire all of his assistant coaches. This was clearly a well-planned "ultimatum," because Wellman knew that he wouldn't do that. So, right, wrong, or indifferent, Grobie chose to again support his staff. IMO, I think that he was also tired of all the BS going on in the Athletic Dept.

Grobie opted to resign, because he was told to fire all of his assistant coaches. This was clearly a well-planned "ultimatum," because Wellman knew that he wouldn't do that. So, right, wrong, or indifferent, Grobie chose to again support his staff. IMO, I think that he was also tired of all the BS going on in the Athletic Dept.

While there is no debate that if Grobe stayed major changes on his staff needed to be made, I wouldn't blame him for being a little bit ticked that the guy that hired and continues to support Jeff [Redacted] is telling him that he has to make major changes on his staff. For a variety of reasons, it was time for Grobie to step aside and I look forward to welcoming him back in 2016 to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the ACC title year.

Man don't waste your breath with that midget. If strick were running pr I'd have to fire his ass in a split second.

I didn't realize that the homeless dudes who push around shopping carts and collect beer cans from frat parties for nickels needed to have someone run PR... #themoreyouknow

Is it possible that Wellman wanted Grobe to leave, didn't want to fire him if he did't have to, and a negotiated buyout was arrived at?

Of course this is what happened. I'm sure they discussed this before the season even started.

Not even a reasonable ultimatum. Obviously I have nothing against assistant coaching changes being made, but the entire staff? Pretty unreasonable. Not really an ultimatum at all.

Not even a reasonable ultimatum. Obviously I have nothing against assistant coaching changes being made, but the entire staff? Pretty unreasonable. Not really an ultimatum at all.

Yeah, there is no way there was even a suggestion, much less an ultimatum for him to fire his whole staff. Maybe/probably 1 or 2 under performing assistants at most.

Yeah, there is no way there was even a suggestion, much less an ultimatum for him to fire his whole staff. Maybe/probably 1 or 2 under performing assistants at most.

Or maybe he asked him what he was going to do that was different? Switching Coordinators? Switching offenses? Defenses? We have 5 straight losing seasons and you are not going to change things up one iota? If you are not going to change, then we, the University, need to make a change.

May have gone something like that. . .

Surely this can't be right. Someone mentioned on the Lembo thread they thought Grobe was getting a buyout in the range of $2 million. If that's the case at the very least it wasn't solely Grobe's decision to leave and the public was misled.

You actually believed he was going to walk away from all that money?

I love his "aw shucks" answer to the question in his presser: "I have no idea how much money... blah blah blah"

Likely that Wellman had discussions with Grobe last year and told him he needed to see improved performance or that Wake was going to have to make a change. Grobe's reaction was trying to completely revamp the offense to the option and to burn lots of redshirts to try to win. Grobe did everything that he thought he could to save his job but there was no actual improvement on the field. Grobe knew that it was put up or shut up time before this season started and he knew what the outcome would be before the season unfolded....resign with dignity and sign this non-disclosure agreement and this agreement not to disparage WFU and will we pay you a buyout...refuse and we will terminate your contract and pay the termination fee.

For the record I don't think he was blaming the descent of the program on the fan support at all. I think he meant that because of the descent of the program the fans had lost faith in him and he thought it was the right time for a change. I think he was presented with the option of making major staff changes and that is just something he's not comfortable with and felt it would be better to step away and let completely new blood take over. Jim Grobe doesn't blame any of what happened on the fans, as he said the bottom line is you have to win and he wasn't.

I was disturbed by his iinterview with Dan Collins, but this is probably a likely explanation of the entire circumstance.

Here is BabyDeac75's explanation:

That the AD would spin this situation to their advantage surprises you? I can imagine that firing Grobe would have earned them quite a bit of flack from the average fan. This goes along with the type of a face-saving that we've come to expect from the AD.

Any ultimatum may have involved letting one of the coordinators go.

Back