• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I thought Grobe chose to leave- but now I hear he's getting a buyout?

BobStackFan4Life

Reaction score
Surely this can't be right. Someone mentioned on the Lembo thread they thought Grobe was getting a buyout in the range of $2 million. If that's the case at the very least it wasn't solely Grobe's decision to leave and the public was misled.

It's obvious the guy needs the money. I mean he was only making 2.5 mill a year or more and clearly giving him a solid buy-out while extending peanut offers to our potential new coach is the right thing to do. Wellman has this under control and will take care of our program like he has demonstrated during past coaching searches.

BabyDeac usually has a pretty good read on what's going on, but I think this is one instance where they have to be wrong. All indications were Grobe had decided to leave- it was solely his decision. Wasn't there at least one question at the press conference asking if Grobe was getting money?

BabyDeac usually has a pretty good read on what's going on, but I think this is one instance where they have to be wrong. All indications were Grobe had decided to leave- it was solely his decision. Wasn't there at least one question at the press conference asking if Grobe was getting money?

Here is BabyDeac75's explanation:

He was planning to return. He was given a choice. He chose to resign. That choice resulted in a buyout of the remainder of his contract.

That the AD would spin this situation to their advantage surprises you? I can imagine that firing Grobe would have earned them quite a bit of flack from the average fan. This goes along with the type of a face-saving that we've come to expect from the AD.

From body language, the manner in which he left, etc..., how can anyone be surprised that he was given an ultimatum and chose to take a buyout? If he'd really decided to leave, he would have announced it before the last game.

The funny thing is that it would seem like we are replicating the mess that was left in Dino's wake (ie buying out a guy who as overpaid and then skimping on the next coach's salary, which nukes our prospects). Hopefully, this situation ends up better than it did for the basketball hire.

Is it possible that Wellman wanted Grobe to leave, didn't want to fire him if he did't have to, and a negotiated buyout was arrived at?

It's possible, and plausible (especially given the source), but it would indicate that the AD deliberately misled the fanbase about how this situation went down.

It's possible, and plausible (especially given the source), but it would indicate that the AD deliberately misled the fanbase about how this situation went down.

Yeah except when you "resign" instead of being fired the official line will almost always be that you chose to leave. What is the point of letting somebody resign to save face if you publically say you were planning to fire them?

Yeah except when you "resign" instead of being fired the official line will almost always be that you chose to leave. What is the point of letting somebody resign to save face if you publically say you were planning to fire them?

So it doesn't look like

a) you fired a coach that a sizable part of the fanbase wasn't ready to run out (which, my own thoughts aside, is ultimately the truth)

and

b) that the fact that you owe this coach a lot of money as a buyout doesn't hamper your ability to hire your top option in a down market.

Gotta love sports. The only business in the world where you get paid for incompetence then paid not to be incompetent.

Almost every resignation is accompanied with an understanding that they were forced out anyways I thought. Not to mention a couple of media sources (I believe the Raleigh paper) used the term "forced out" from the beginning.

I don't care either way about what happened because there's not much difference in my mind between Grobe deciding to leave and Wake getting him to "resign." Sure as hell would rather have a negotiated buyout in exchange for him resigning rather than paying out whatever it cost to fire him.

From body language, the manner in which he left, etc..., how can anyone be surprised that he was given an ultimatum and chose to take a buyout? If he'd really decided to leave, he would have announced it before the last game.

Yea.

Everyone should go watch his 2 minute interview with Dan on the WSJ website (second video). That is a man who was "encouraged" to step aside.

Yeah, there's no WAY this Athletic Department would ever deliberately mislead the fanbase. NONE.

As much as Wellman eats massive Hitler cock, I can't blame him for spinning this the way he did because it saves face for everybody. If, as is reported, he was being pushed to make changes then it must've been his refusal to replace certain shitty coaches that resulted in him stepping down. If Wellman was saying something like, "Hey, you've got to replace Lobo," then who can fault him for that? If anything, I commend Wellman for having the stones to force him into retirement. Grobe can't just refuse to make changes because he's a nice guy and doesn't have the stones to sack Lobo. It's part of his job to do that kind of stuff, not give Lobo an unlimited amount of time to develop into a not-so-shitty OC.

A lot of people on here said that we should make Grobe either fire Lobo or he needs to move on too. Wellman very well could have done that, and if so I applaud him. He did what a lot of people wanted him to do.

A lot of people on here said that we should make Grobe either fire Lobo or he needs to move on too. Wellman very well could have done that, and if so I applaud him. He did what a lot of people wanted him to do.

If people knew the buyout would impact the $ available for our next coach, would they still want Grobe gone if it means we're going to have to settle for a lesser candidate?

Clearly there was some level of force out. Even Wellman would not have given Grobe a personal services contract that allows the service provider to voluntarily quit and still get paid. That goes well beyond even my low opinion of his competence. We'll likely never know for sure exactly how it went down but obviously the conversation eventually ended up at "either you get fired for full buyout or you're allowed to resign for partial buyout".

I feel you are right on with the fire Lobo or you can leave idea.

Back