• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I thought Grobe chose to leave- but now I hear he's getting a buyout?

Sounds to me like both sides conducted themselves well here. Wellman did what he had to do (and what people here wanted him to do) and Grobe gets to go somewhere else while getting the buyout and left with class. Great move IMO.

I never for a second believed he retired on his own. It felt very much like a 'retire or we're canning you' thing.

I think the thing that upset folks is that this buyout is being used as an excuse/reason for us trying to "lowball" Lembo or whoever. Surely RW knew what the buyout amount was but if it keeps us from hiring a decent new coach how was that a good deal for WF? You just can not go from paying a losing coach the past 5 yrs $2.3M a year and then try to hire his replacement for less than half that to turn the program around. Sorry, I ain't buying that....

I'm assuming that is the reason we can't get Lembo....if it's other than $$$ (which I doubt), then that's another story.....

I suspect he takes a year off and sees what comes up. I think it would be a "non-BCS" type team or he would become the head assistant somewhere.

Wow. Thanks for the link. Interesting that Grobe states that he personally still has plenty of energy. But lack of 'support' and 'energy' from the fans is what ultimately did him in.

Lack of support and energy from the fans? He really said that? Does he understand that lack of energy comes from the shit product he was putting on the field?

Doesn't the ACC get more bowl money this year from having two teams in BCS bowls? That should help with $...

We just "found" $700k b/c Clemson backed into the Orange Bowl. That won't cover the buyout but it's unaccounted for money.

Think Lobo knows that he is the main reason that Grobe and all other assistants are no longer coaching at Wake?

Think Lobo knows that he is the main reason that Grobe and all other assistants are no longer coaching at Wake?

Yeah, if I were an assistant I would be pissed at Grobe, but loathe Lobo. Well, guess we all loathe Lobo.

From body language, the manner in which he left, etc..., how can anyone be surprised that he was given an ultimatum and chose to take a buyout? If he'd really decided to leave, he would have announced it before the last game.

I watched the last half of the Vandy game and thought the guys were playing with more energy than I was expecting or had seen recently. I know it was the last game for the seniors, etc., but also wondered if they suspected/knew it would be Grobe's last Wake game.

From what I have heard, something like this happened. Does it make the Wellman haters feel any different about him?

This Wellman hater thinks he handled it beautifully, particularly the early timing.

Yeah, if I were an assistant I would be pissed at Grobe, but loathe Lobo. Well, guess we all loathe Lobo.

They probably think he's a great coach, otherwise they wouldn't have stuck with him. If there was an idiot making your job tougher, wouldn't you try to get out? Perhaps that was a factor in the revolving door at WR coach.

The assistant coaches are on 1 year contracts. They get no buy-out.

Amazed by the naivete here. Jim Grobe had about $7 million left on his contract, plus a $1 million+ annuity if he stayed to the end of his contract. WF and Grobe negotiated that contract after Grobe was about to get a big payday from Arkansas (and even if he had been fired from Arky, he would have made a ton of money). So, how could anyone rationally think that he walked away with nothing, when he could have stayed and made $8 million+? Of course, Wellman pushed Grobe out, and like any rational human, Grobe received payment from WF to allow WF to unwind itself from a $multi-millon obligation. Would guess that Grobe and WF worked at a deal that saved WF a lot of coin. Naturally, Grobe conducted the news conference with grace and class and was not about to hang Wellman out to dry by revealing that he was pushed out.

I'm guessing the buyout required Grobe to keep what really happened between him and the university.

It's tough to see that clip with Disco Dan but you have to take a step back here. Grobe was forced out because he was unwilling to make changes to the Staff, namely Lobo. The reality is that at a big-time program, Lobo would've been forced out years ago, like probably even before the Orange Bowl season. Heck, I remember people were up in arms during the 2003 Season- specifically the often PhDeac referenced shotgun draw on 3rd AND 4th down vs. Purdue.

After the Arkansas debacle, we decided to pay Grobe the big money. Big money comes with the expectations that changes will be made to The Staff if we're aren't performing. In defense of Lobo, I did feel like the pitchforks came disproportionately after him than the DC over the years. However, it's much easier to "scheme" Offensively than Defensively. You can only do so much defensively as far as scheme to stop the other team. As an OC, you have to be able to score points, especially at a school like Wake where we are going to give up points since we just don't have the size and depth of other teams. It's not like we can play Saban-ball and be content to sit on a 10-0 lead. That strategy might have worked 2006-2008 but its almost like Grobe still thought he still had the Fresh Deacs and Swankemeyer years after they were gone.

Last edited:
Ticks me off that RW would push Grobe out -- a guy who took us to previously unknown heights -- but he keeps that loser dork as basketball coach? Sheesh. Bzzz should be first out, period.

Ticks me off that RW would push Grobe out -- a guy who took us to previously unknown heights -- but he keeps that loser dork as basketball coach? Sheesh. Bzzz should be first out, period.
He's just buying time to try and prove he was right about bzz. Anything to save his legacy.

Seems the loyalty between Grobe and Lobo may be viewed as a one-way street. Lobo had to know he was the albatross around Grobe's neck. Why didn't he gracefully step aside to save Grobe and all the other staff?

Back