• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If Bz was to go

Yep. There are lots of available coaches with significant ncaat success. Also, I think we all know that you can't win in the ncaat at wake forest unless you've done so somewhere else.

2 years ago I wanted John Groce. I'd still love a coach like that.

I would settle for a coach that gives us a 50% chance of winning NCAAT games. 50 > 0.

Shaka is a stud, and the primary reason Purnell had a decent coaching career at Clemson, imo...

Too bad Brownell doesn't have a stud recruiter. Speaking of Brownell, I think he would have done great things at Wake if he was hired instead of Buzz. He's a great coach, but is finding out how hard it is to recruit to Clemson.

Agree with Diego.

I'd be happy with either of the Richmond coaches, though I think Shaka has more potential than Mooney b/c I believe he'd be the better recruiter of the 2. And sooner or later, VCU will have hit its basketball ceiling, and it'll be time for him to move on. I'd personally love to see Hatch ditch both Bz and Wellman and bring in Shaka and the VCU AD.

Wanna hear something a little depressing?

Stevens has 36 losses in 3.5 years at Butler.

[Redacted] has 35 in 1.5 at Wake

LOL!!! I'll take meaningless comparisons for $1,000, Alex.

No doubt Stevens is a better coach than Bz (there is a reason why he was #1 on the short list) but I dare say the records would be different if Stevens played Wake's schedule over the last few years and vice versa.

While we're at it can we trade Ari Stewart for Gordon Hayward and Tony Chennault for Shelvin Mack?

Both with 11 losses this year. I mean, they just lost to Green Bay. By 12.

Honestly, while I would trade for Brad Stevens in a heartbeat, I don't know how different anything would have been if he'd taken the job to this point. He would have ditched the same guys [Redacted] got rid of, and just like Butler is struggling this year we would have struggled.

I'm secretly cheering for Butler to keep losing, and for Stevens to replace [Redacted] in year 4.

I think Stevens thought he had a shot at the IU job. That's clearly not the case now.

You'd be surprised - there's a certain segment of the IU fanbase that thinks Crean is underperforming with the current team and thinks that wouldn't be the case if they'd hire Stevens.

I'm sure great coaches would be lining up to take over in the aftermath of firing coaches after tenures of three years and two years.

Yep... just like all of the great coaches that were lined up out the door and around Wellman's office to apply for the job after Dino was canned.

And according to many of the experts on the boards, the program was in fine shape coming off the NCAA 2nd round appearance.

Who were the great coaches? We don't know who passed on the job or who Wellman passed over. All we know is that Dino was fired and 2-3 days later the Bz rumors were in full force.

Shaka. if that fails, go after guys who have had WINNING records and tournament wins.

But basically give Shaka whatever he wants.

I will give Shaka my first born child. It's a start, no?

Shaka - Most Overrated, 'flavor of the week' coach for 2011-2012.

I agree with the above posters about Wright. His days are numbered at Villanova, IMO, but I can't see him coming here.

I don't see Bzzzz going anywhere at least until the year AFTER next. Not saying I think that's right, I'm slowly turning to the dark side (bzzz out), but I just don't think they are going to do anything until they have a veteran lineup.

Wake Forest is an attractive job and can get a very good coach to take over the program. If you don't believe Buzz is our solution then if I'm the AD I look at who might be available now, who might be available after next year and finally who seems to be developing and is on a fast track to be ready in 3 years.

If RW is the man this next hire will be sold in better to the fan base and come in with a similar style of personal relations as Skip.

Both with 11 losses this year. I mean, they just lost to Green Bay. By 12.

Honestly, while I would trade for Brad Stevens in a heartbeat, I don't know how different anything would have been if he'd taken the job to this point. He would have ditched the same guys [Redacted] got rid of, and just like Butler is struggling this year we would have struggled.

I'm secretly cheering for Butler to keep losing, and for Stevens to replace [Redacted] in year 4.

I think that the record would be roughly the same but there would be a ton of hope in the fanbase and we'd all be talking about how we needed to cull the wheat from the chaff before restoring ourselves. He'd have more than enough success on his resume for even the most critical fan to cut him some slack.

Bz makes a lot of money. No one is going to offer him anywhere close to what he is making at Wake. To get rid of Bz will require yet another buyout. I don't see that happening. I'm not hopeful, but maybe he can turn it around next year. No chance we get a star coach at this point- the program is in terrible shape.

Even if Stevens started losing, he'd still hold out for a better job than this. Agree with StackFan, the program is in very bad shape. It's not nearly as attractive as it was when Skip passed and it's become much less attractive ever since. Wellman is to blame.

If we fire [Redacted] after this season, we have NO SHOT at a top replacement. You can delude yourself as much as you wish, but in the space of three years we will have fired two coaches.

Each of whom will have been fired after netting To 15 or so recruiting classes. There are lots of other jobs who have ADs who give coaches a chance with the players they recruit.

Why would a top level coach (who will have plenty of options) take such a ridiculous chance?

This is what they and their agent would think. You can believe in the tooth fairy all you like, but even Sidney Lowe got more time than this.

Who were the great coaches?

Sarcasm.

Some of the "big" names floated early like Billy Donovan and Jay Wright were pipedreams.

Depending on who you believe, there was mutual interest between Wake and Tubby Smith but negotiations stalled over $$$'s. Steve Alford and Brad Brownell were in the mix at one point but no idea whether interest waned from the Wake side or theirs.

I still believe there were some coaches not interested in a rebuilding situation who looked at the talent (or lack thereof) returning and what was in the pipeline and passed.

If we fire [Redacted] after this season, we have NO SHOT at a top replacement. You can delude yourself as much as you wish, but in the space of three years we will have fired two coaches.

Each of whom will have been fired after netting To 15 or so recruiting classes. There are lots of other jobs who have ADs who give coaches a chance with the players they recruit.

Why would a top level coach (who will have plenty of options) take such a ridiculous chance?

This is what they and their agent would think. You can believe in the tooth fairy all you like, but even Sidney Lowe got more time than this.

Nailed it.

Sarcasm.

Some of the "big" names floated early like Billy Donovan and Jay Wright were pipedreams.

Depending on who you believe, there was mutual interest between Wake and Tubby Smith but negotiations stalled over $$$'s. Steve Alford and Brad Brownell were in the mix at one point but no idea whether interest waned from the Wake side or theirs.

I still believe there were some coaches not interested in a rebuilding situation who looked at the talent (or lack thereof) returning and what was in the pipeline and passed.

According to the "experts" on the board, Brad Stevens was a lock, with Billy Donovan and Tubby Smith anxiously waiting in the wings.

Back