• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If Bz was to go

Sarcasm.

Some of the "big" names floated early like Billy Donovan and Jay Wright were pipedreams.

Depending on who you believe, there was mutual interest between Wake and Tubby Smith but negotiations stalled over $$$'s. Steve Alford and Brad Brownell were in the mix at one point but no idea whether interest waned from the Wake side or theirs.

I still believe there were some coaches not interested in a rebuilding situation who looked at the talent (or lack thereof) returning and what was in the pipeline and passed.

It wasn't a rebuilding situation. It was a typical thing that happens in all programs.

According to the "experts" on the board, Brad Stevens was a lock, with Billy Donovan and Tubby Smith anxiously waiting in the wings.

You know that Donovan and Smith would happily accept Assistant Coaching jobs.

I also have a job for all those with a love jones for shaka, he can do our pre-game speech.

I agree with RJ to a point but Jack Welch said in his book that sometimes he made hires that everything on paper and in the interview were perfect but after the person started he knew it was a mistake.

At that point he convinced himself that it was only fair to give the person a year or so to see if things would work out. After 3 or 4 of these situations he knew it was wrong for GE and the person in question.

People make hiring mistakes...happens all the time. I can assure you if State would have realized the mistake in year 2 and moved on then they might be in a much better situation now.

Remember what UNC did to Doh...might have been the only way they got Roy.

It wasn't a rebuilding situation. It was a typical thing that happens in all programs.

Agree to disagree. There was a reason Wake was unanimously predicted to finish DFL in the ACC last season and hover in the cellar this season.

It would be interesting to see how many NCAA teams over the years have successfully replaced 68% of scoring, 81% of rebounding, and 69% of minutes played without a major drop off in the next season. I would love to do the research if I had more time.

And before someone drops the "Bz defender" label, these numbers do not give him a free pass as to date he has done a crappy job and is not the long-term solution.

Seriously, how many rebuilding situations have a top 10 recruiting class coming in.

Both with 11 losses this year. I mean, they just lost to Green Bay. By 12.

Honestly, while I would trade for Brad Stevens in a heartbeat, I don't know how different anything would have been if he'd taken the job to this point. He would have ditched the same guys [Redacted] got rid of, and just like Butler is struggling this year we would have struggled.

I'm secretly cheering for Butler to keep losing, and for Stevens to replace [Redacted] in year 4.

Brad Stevens could have taken the Wake job and walked into any living room in the country to recruit top-tier players. Even if last year sucked, we would have most likely had another top 10 recruiting class to help this year, instead of Fischer/Green/Fields. Add that to a solid 2012 class, and we could have expected to be middle of the pack in a shitty ACC this year and pretty good next year.

I agree with RJ to a point but Jack Welch said in his book that sometimes he made hires that everything on paper and in the interview were perfect but after the person started he knew it was a mistake.

At that point he convinced himself that it was only fair to give the person a year or so to see if things would work out. After 3 or 4 of these situations he knew it was wrong for GE and the person in question.

People make hiring mistakes...happens all the time. I can assure you if State would have realized the mistake in year 2 and moved on then they might be in a much better situation now.

The real world of business and college sports are only marginally similar.

Does anyone really care who is running Chevy as long as their car is what they want?

Would you not go to a store because of who is the CEO of a company?

Of course the answer to both is no.

however would you have your son choose a school over many others if you the past two coaches were each fired after getting strong recruiting classes and not being able to coach them?

Brad Stevens could have taken the Wake job and walked into any living room in the country to recruit top-tier players. Even if last year sucked, we would have most likely had another top 10 recruiting class to help this year, instead of Fischer/Green/Fields. Add that to a solid 2012 class, and we could have expected to be middle of the pack in a shitty ACC this year and pretty good next year.

When has Brad Stevens ever recruited a class of top-tier players?

He's had, what, 1 top 100 player ever? Back-to-back national title games got them a single 2013 top 100 recruit? But at Wake Forest he could roll in and within the same year he arrives just magically grab a top 10 class?

I mean, I understand the grass is always greener way of looking at things, but in your world the grass isn't greener, it's 10 feet high and sprouts hundred dollar bills...

He's had, what, 1 top 100 player ever? Back-to-back national title games got them a single 2013 top 100 recruit? But at Wake Forest he could roll in and within the same year he arrives just magically grab a top 10 class?

I mean, I understand the grass is always greener way of looking at things, but in your world the grass isn't greener, it's 10 feet high and sprouts hundred dollar bills...

You'd have to assume that his success, coupled with [Redacted], Dino and Skip being able to bring in some top players, that he would be able to do the same. If not better.

You'd have to assume that his success, coupled with [Redacted], Dino and Skip being able to bring in some top players, that he would be able to do the same. If not better.

Why on earth would you assume that? Based on the success he's had at Butler, you really think he'd just completely reverse the way he recruits his teams and just start chasing top 50's? You think he stayed at Butler despite other offers at more highly touted schools because he's hoping to be Kentucky and snag top 10 class after top 10 class and win with 1 and dones?

Frankly I think he'd put together an extremely similar class to what [Redacted] has put together next year. I don't think it's realistic at all to think he would have had some magical control over this year's class - simply wasn't enough time. Somewhat improved? Maybe.

Save the cutsey metaphor. If you think recruiting to Butler is the same as recruiting to Wake in terms of the type of player you can attract, then you are fucking crazy.

You honestly believe a coach who was the hottest name in college coaching (he was a couple inches away from winning the national championship), coming into the ACC, couldn't have recruited a top 5 or top 10 class to Wake? If Gaudio could get guys in the top 60, Brad Stevens sure as hell could do that, if not better.

You'd be surprised - there's a certain segment of the IU fanbase that thinks Crean is underperforming with the current team and thinks that wouldn't be the case if they'd hire Stevens.

(Checks IU's record this year)

Oh, they beat UK and OSU? Yeah he's doing well.

Why on earth would you assume that? Based on the success he's had at Butler, you really think he'd just completely reverse the way he recruits his teams and just start chasing top 50's? You think he stayed at Butler despite other offers at more highly touted schools because he's hoping to be Kentucky and snag top 10 class after top 10 class and win with 1 and dones?

Frankly I think he'd put together an extremely similar class to what [Redacted] has put together next year. I don't think it's realistic at all to think he would have had some magical control over this year's class - simply wasn't enough time. Somewhat improved? Maybe.

This is just so amazingly illogical.

Mr. [Redacted] never recruited a class like he did for 2012 previously either. You entire viewpoint on this is absurd. Just stop.

I don't really know why you are arguing with me. You said the following:

DCDeac said:

We have multiple top 100 recruits under [Redacted]. I don't think it is a stretch to assume that Stevens would come in and do the same. We are talking about Jeff [Redacted] here.

All else being equal, If they had the opportunity, I think any coach in America would recruit top 100 players over those outside that range.

Stevens would have put us in the conversation for the high athletic, high BBIQ, 3-4 year kids that Duke normally gets.

high BBIQ. It must be lunchtime because that sounds delicious!

This is just so amazingly illogical.

Mr. [Redacted] never recruited a class like he did for 2012 previously either. You entire viewpoint on this is absurd. Just stop.

Yeah, you're right. I'm sure a coach who just went to back-to-back National Title games is just dying to completely reverse everything he stands for.

Man, and this coming from a Wake fan. You realize if we HAD hired Stevens to replace Dino, we would have just been coming off the super-hyped recruits that yielded us one entire pathetic post season victory. The last few years of post-season ineptitude at Wake are like the poster-children for the way Stevens builds a program.

If Buzz doesn't win the games he is supposed to, he's gone. If he does, he gets one more year.

Dino did shady stuff and it is becoming obvious bzzz just doesnt get it. Perfectly reasonable explanations and what I'd expect RW to say.

I don't really know why you are arguing with me. You said the following:

You're arguing with me. I'm arguing the point made earlier by another poster that Brad Stevens would have waltzed into a top 10 recruiting class last year just be stepping foot on campus. It's just a laughable idea.

Back