• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If Bz was to go

You're arguing with me. I'm arguing the point made earlier by another poster that Brad Stevens would have waltzed into a top 10 recruiting class last year just be stepping foot on campus. It's just a laughable idea.

I really don't know, but what is NC State's recruiting class ranked for this coming year?

You're arguing with me. I'm arguing the point made earlier by another poster that Brad Stevens would have waltzed into a top 10 recruiting class last year just be stepping foot on campus. It's just a laughable idea.

Come on, man. I stated a simple, logical fact and you jumped down my throat about it.

You said top 100 recruits. I have not once mentioned a top 10 recruiting class or a top 10 recruiting class his first year on campus. I'm saying that it would be perfectly logical to assume that Brad Stevens would be able to recruit top 100 guys to Wake Forest. Especially given the fact that [Redacted], Dino and Skip were able to do so.

I don't buy into Steven's supposed 'system' of recruiting sub 100 players. Surely there are those in that top 100 that would be a good fit for a program that he runs and he would be able to get them. All else being equal, you would want higher ranked guys than lower ranked guys. I don't see why it is so hard to see what I am saying.

Talent is talent, is it not? I don't care where they were ranked, Stevens recruited 2 early entry players in Heyward and Mack (GASP- he's ruining the game!1oneJuan!11). He spotted and developed talent. He still has a hard time getting talent to go play and Butler, because, well, its FUCKING BUTLER. Players don't dream of playing in the Horizon League. They do dream of playing in the ACC. And yes, we could have gone toe to toe with the dookies and holes with Stevens at the helm. Would we have won every battle? Hell no. But I be we would have ended up with a top 10 class last year.

Put it this way- Mark Gottfried just recruited a top 10 class to NCSU in year 1. You really think Brad Stevens wouldn't have done the same? Really?

Come on, man. You said top 100 recruits. I have not once mentioned a top 10 recruiting class or a top 10 recruiting class his first year on campus. I'm saying that it would be perfectly logical to assume that Brad Stevens would be able to recruit top 100 guys to Wake Forest. Especially given the fact that [Redacted], Dino and Skip were able to do so.

I don't buy into Steven's supposed 'system' of recruiting sub 100 players. Surely there are those in that top 100 that would be a good fit for a program that he runs and he would be able to get them.

WTF. That's why I said I wasn't arguing with you. DeaconSig said Stevens would have stepped on campus and immediately gotten us a top 10 recruiting class.

WTF. That's why I said I wasn't arguing with you. DeaconSig said Stevens would have stepped on campus and immediately gotten us a top 10 recruiting class.

:thumbsup: I missed that part about another poster. Sorry!

Talent is talent, is it not? I don't care where they were ranked, Stevens recruited 2 early entry players in Heyward and Mack (GASP- he's ruining the game!1oneJuan!11). He spotted and developed talent. He still has a hard time getting talent to go play and Butler, because, well, its FUCKING BUTLER. Players don't dream of playing in the Horizon League. They do dream of playing in the ACC. And yes, we could have gone toe to toe with the dookies and holes with Stevens at the helm. Would we have won every battle? Hell no. But I be we would have ended up with a top 10 class last year.

Put it this way- Mark Gottfried just recruited a top 10 class to NCSU in year 1. You really think Brad Stevens wouldn't have done the same? Really?

Ended up with? Now I don't even know what you're arguing. Are you saying that he would have recruited low ranked players that would have ended up being really good in a year or two and in hindsight we would have had a top 10 recruiting class?

You think this team competes with UNC and Duke THIS year with Stevens at the helm???

I've heard of delusional, but wow. Why is Butler losing to Milwaukee and Green Bay and Evansville? But at Wake with the same coach we clean house and still somehow leap to the top of the ACC?

This isn't even worth arguing anymore.

Ended up with? Now I don't even know what you're arguing. Are you saying that he would have recruited low ranked players that would have ended up being really good in a year or two and in hindsight we would have had a top 10 recruiting class?

You think this team competes with UNC and Duke THIS year with Stevens at the helm???

I've heard of delusional, but wow. Why is Butler losing to Milwaukee and Green Bay and Evansville? But at Wake with the same coach we clean house and still somehow leap to the top of the ACC?

This isn't even worth arguing anymore.

Recruiting, not on the court. I'm arguing that he could have recruited against those teams. We would have been bad last year no matter what (although likely not historically bad the way Coach [Redacted] had us).

I'm also arguing that he would have recruited a class that was in the top 10 in the country in recruiting rankings.

Again, if you think Mark Gottfried this year could do better than Brad Stevens coming off of a national title game appearance last year, then ok. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. No matter how asinine, I guess.

Recruiting, not on the court. I'm arguing that he could have recruited against those teams. We would have been bad last year no matter what (although likely not historically bad the way Coach [Redacted] had us).

I'm also arguing that he would have recruited a class that was in the top 10 in the country in recruiting rankings.

Again, if you think Mark Gottfried this year could do better than Brad Stevens coming off of a national title game appearance last year, then ok. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. No matter how asinine, I guess.

Ha. Gotta get those insults in there to strengthen your points I guess.

You think Stevens is hired and within a few months gets enough guys to decommit from their verbals to other schools that he lands - not his first top 50 player ever or 2nd top 100 player ever, but a top 10 class nationally that competes for the ACC title in year 1.

But it's "asinine" to think he would have tried to rebuild, recruit his type of players the following year, and build a program (possibly a wildly successful program with unheralded guys like Mack who had a sub-50 rating in high school ending up in the league) in a similar manner to how he turned Butler into a national championship contender. Got it.

Save the cutsey metaphor. If you think recruiting to Butler is the same as recruiting to Wake in terms of the type of player you can attract, then you are fucking crazy.

You didn't seem to care about that when you posted this yesterday:

The day Coach [Redacted] signs 3 of the top 10 players in the country (lottery picks each, mind you) is the day he can say he is a better coach than Doherty.

Stevens will never coach at WF. I doubt he even gave it serious consideration last time (if in fact we reached out to him, something else I'm skeptical about). It was b/w stay at Butler and go to Oregon.

If it's true that we were close to a deal w/ Tubby and couldn't close it, that's a real shame.

Ha. Gotta get those insults in there to strengthen your points I guess.

You think Stevens is hired and within a few months gets enough guys to decommit from their verbals to other schools that he lands - not his first top 50 player ever or 2nd top 100 player ever, but a top 10 class nationally that competes for the ACC title in year 1.

But it's "asinine" to think he would have tried to rebuild, recruit his type of players the following year, and build a program (possibly a wildly successful program with unheralded guys like Mack who had a sub-50 rating in high school ending up in the league) in a similar manner to how he turned Butler into a national championship contender. Got it.

I'd rather insult somebody that just lie about what they said. Where did I ever say we would compete for the title in year 1? I said we would have been bad. Not even close to the same thing.

Coaches don't take a year off in recruiting. It is pretty standard for coaches to do well recruiting their first year at a school. And what the hell are you talking about regarding decommits? Plenty of players were not committed in April of their Jr. years of HS.

Again, your position is that Brad Stevens couldn't have done what Mark Gottfried did. OK.

(Checks IU's record this year)

Oh, they beat UK and OSU? Yeah he's doing well.

They're also 5-6 in conference right now with losses to Nebraska and Minnesota. I'm not saying he'll be fired, but there's a part of the IU fanbase who believes that if they had Stevens they'd be a Top 10 team right now.

Come on, man. I stated a simple, logical fact and you jumped down my throat about it.

You said top 100 recruits. I have not once mentioned a top 10 recruiting class or a top 10 recruiting class his first year on campus. I'm saying that it would be perfectly logical to assume that Brad Stevens would be able to recruit top 100 guys to Wake Forest. Especially given the fact that [Redacted], Dino and Skip were able to do so.

I don't buy into Steven's supposed 'system' of recruiting sub 100 players. Surely there are those in that top 100 that would be a good fit for a program that he runs and he would be able to get them. All else being equal, you would want higher ranked guys than lower ranked guys. I don't see why it is so hard to see what I am saying.

I agree with everything you've said here.

Stevens has jumped on every top-100 talent that he's been fortunate enough to recruit. He's recruiting to the best of his ability at a small school with a small-ish budget, that's in the shadow of giants. Landing Mack and Hayward were recruiting coups on the mid-major stage. Furthermore, he managed to pull in an in-state top-100 player this year.

If you think recruiting in NC is tough for Wake, then imagine how hard it is to recruit in the shadow of Big 10 giants like Indiana, Purdue, and Illinois at a school with a fairly small budget to comp you...

And yes, Stevens would be a heck of a recruiter here.

Please stop talking about Brad Stevens and what could have been.

12449939586XEDvL.jpg

Brad Stevens
Chris Mooney
Gregg Marshall
Shaka Smart
Sydney Johnson

That's in order and at least three of those are fairly realistic.

I also think it's extremely unlikely that we fire [Redacted] and only marginally more likely that he would resign. If we were to fire him then it would the severely limit our ability to hire a new coach because it would reinforce some of the sentiment that arose after the Dino firing (Wake Forest is impatient with unreasonable expectations).

I also think it's pretty fair to say that Stevens would be able to step in and recruit at a higher level then [Redacted] did because he would have been coming off of a Final 4 trip and is also more familiar with the talent and coaches on this side of the country.

Last edited:
Marshall is probably unrealistic too because of personality issues.

John Groce is still at the top for me.

Give me Shaka or give me death!
- Patrick Henry

...or something like that.

Marshall is probably unrealistic too because of personality issues.

John Groce is still at the top for me.

Well, he isn't unrealistic in the sense that he would probably take the job, but I think you're right in that we probably wouldn't offer him because of his abrasiveness.

Back