• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If Eli Manning's name was Smith

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
I've wondered if Eli was Eli Smith what would people would say about his talent.

Yes, he's won two Super Bowls.

Yes, he's led the NFL in interceptions more times than that.

He's very inconsistent. I think he'd be thought of as being in the middle of the pack of NFL QBs.

Two Super Bowls go a long way no matter what your last name is.

His line sucked this year. He was running for his life.

I've wondered if Eli was Eli Smith what would people would say about his talent.

Yes, he's won two Super Bowls.

Yes, he's led the NFL in interceptions more times than that.

He's very inconsistent. I think he'd be thought of as being in the middle of the pack of NFL QBs.

Only 11 QB's have won more than 2 Superbowls. He's nowhere close to middle of the pack. What a ridiculous idea.

Fans and players all say the goal is winning a Super Bowl. Eli has been almost opposite Peyton: he doesn't overwhelm in the regular season but come the post-season, he's money. Peyton has had to overcome that pattern.

Either way, you can't equate Eli with McMahon or Dilfer; a QB who rode his team to the SB rather than leading them. Eli is definitely top-notch.

Simmons and Joe House on the B.S. Report today talk about Troy Aikman's career numbers because he made the Hall of Fame. Kind of interesting if you look them up. Moral of the story is, win multiple Super Bowls as a QB and you've established your greatness.

Winning Super Bowls show you were on a really good team. It's like being a hot goalie in the NHL.

Eli Smith? Akili's little brother. Yeah, he sucks.

If you think Eli is in the same planet as Trent Dilfer in terms of riding a hot team and managing them to the Super Bowl then you've lost it. He's inconsistent, but the dude is a top flight QB.

Two Super Bowls go a long way no matter what your last name is.

His line sucked this year. He was running for his life.

This. Without an OL, the QB will look bad. Even Tom Brady is mortal when his OL can't block for him (see SB losses). Phillip Rivers sucked last year, and was good again this year. Nothing changed with him, but his OL improved. Same for Eli. While Eli is not Manning-Brady-Brees, he's prob in the second five of NFL QB's.

To put a Wake Forest spin on the subject, this was Tanner's issue, too.

Only 11 QB's have won more than 2 Superbowls. He's nowhere close to middle of the pack. What a ridiculous idea.

Consider the source of the idea. Nuff said?

Eli Manning, Joe Flacco and Phillip Rivers are the same QB. All 3 have strong arms, are accurate and can make every throw. And none of the 3 have mobility. Give them good OLs, and they can go out and and help you win SBs. Give them crap OLs, like Manning and Flacco had this past season, and like Rivers had the 2 prior seasons, and their numbers will be off and they'll throw picks. Everyone was wondering what had happened to Rivers going into this past season. His skills had not diminished, but his OL and skilled players had. Gone were VJax and Tomlinson, and Gates has wear on his treads. Add to that he had Jared Gaither's attitude and bad back protecting his blind side. Give him another threat in Allen (maybe the OROY) and better protection, and voila, another good season. And give Eli and Joe better OLs and give the Ravens another WR and the Giants a RB, and I predict they'll look a whole lot better next year.

His numbers are consistently mediocre. Only once in his career did he have double the number of TD passes as Ints . Only once has he been in the Top 10 in Completion %. Three times in ten years he's lead the NFL in interceptions.

Look at Joe Namath. More INT's than TD's and completion percentage barely above 50%. Winning super bowls means a lot for QBs.

It's a completely different era. Joe Willie threw bombs not dump offs to RBs and bubble screens.

You can't compare Completion % before Bill Walsh to those after.

His numbers are consistently mediocre. Only once in his career did he have double the number of TD passes as Ints . Only once has he been in the Top 10 in Completion %. Three times in ten years he's lead the NFL in interceptions.

Who gives a fuck? In his last 10 playoff games, he is 8-2 and has thrown 17 TDs and 5 interceptions. He steps up his game in the playoffs.

Player A: 220.0 yds/game, 56.9 compl %, 4.1 TD%, 3.1 int%,
Player B: 231.0 yds/game, 58.5 compl %, 4.6 TD%, 3.4 int%
Player C: 238.5 yds/game, 63.3 compl %, 5.0 TD%, 2.8 int%
Player D: 254.7 yds/game, 63.4 compl %, 5.5 TD%, 2.0 int%
Player E: 199.6 yds/game, 61.5 compl %, 3.5 TD%, 3.0 int%
Player F: 211.2 yds/game, 63.2 compl %, 5.1 TD%, 2.6 int%

Rank these QBs: All have multiple SB rings. Career numbers above.

I can't believe this is a thread.

Crap OL. Crap running game with bad tailback blocking. The Hynoceros was out this season...please don't underestimate the value of a FB for the Giants offensive scheme. They're one of the few NFL teams that fully utilize a FB in the blocking and passing games anymore, and having your starter out hurts. Yeah, Eli had a horrible year, but if you actually watched his games close to 50% of those picks were on receivers. Good thing there has been a shakeup in the offensive coaching jobs. Looking forward to what Ben McAdoo brings to the program.

Go Big Blue.

I think you can compare Eli to Roethlisberger. Better than average QB who is rated highly because of 2 Super Bowl wins. I think playing in New York contributes more to his legacy than his last name.

In Giants 2 Super Bowl runs, Eli had 15 TDs and 2 Ints.

Back