• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If Eli Manning's name was Smith

I didn't say he's not talented. My position is he's a middle of the pack type of guy.

Although he doesn't get as much national play as Peyton, he seems to be a good guy and a slightly above average QB.

Editted to laugh at your previous post that Eli has been as inconsistent in the playoffs as he has been in the regular season. I see 2 bad games out of 11.

If you can't beat em, join em, so I am going to start using rj logic.

Look at those 2011 numbers! He threw 9, 12, 26 and 10 incomplete passes in those games! He either completes passes or he doesn't. He's all or nothing!!!!!

Shaun Micheel has won a PGA Championship. Jason Gore led a US Open through 3 rounds.

I didn't say he's not talented. My position is he's a middle of the pack type of guy.

Although he doesn't get as much national play as Peyton, he seems to be a good guy and a slightly above average QB.

Middle of the pack when? This season? Over the course of his entire career?

85 players recorded QB statistics this year. Eli ranks 14th in total yards, 18th in yards per game, 21st in TDs. So yes, if you limit your criticism of Eli to this season, then you would be correct that he was a middle of the road QB in 2013.

But looking at his entire career, no way. He ranks in the top 10 in TDs per season in the regular season from 2008 to 2012 and 2005 to 2006 (in 2007, he was 11th).

RJ: you just need to come on over and be a Bears fan to get some perspective on all-time shit-sucking worthless fucking QBs. If Eli had done what he's done to date in Chicago, the airport would be Manning Int'l not O'Hare.

I think you can compare Eli to Roethlisberger. Better than average QB who is rated highly because of 2 Super Bowl wins. I think playing in New York contributes more to his legacy than his last name.

In Giants 2 Super Bowl runs, Eli had 15 TDs and 2 Ints.

None interceptions that first run, I believe. NONE.

His career has been situated in the middle 1/3 of NFL QBs.

Super Bowls wins is basically irrelevant. Was Kenny Smith a better player than Chuck? Is Flacco better than Marino? Is Jeremy Shockey better than Tony Gonzalez?

Super Bowls wins is basically irrelevant. Was Kenny Smith a better player than Chuck? Is Flacco better than Marino? Is Jeremy Shockey better than Tony Gonzalez?

The ultimate goal of every player, every year, is to win the Super Bowl.

For a QB???? LOL

Now you can argue that maybe too much importance is placed on winning the SB for judging a QB's career, but that doesn't change the fact that it is and Manning's name has little to do with his stature, it's the 2 SB wins.

Last edited:
If he was just a guy named Eli Smith? Hmmm. That's pretty interesting. I think his father, Morty Smith, is a really good salesman. One of those guys who can sell a dick to a nun. But he's always out there selling, can't get enough of that adrenaline, certainly doesn't have time for young Eli Smith. Sure, Eli Smith's got his mom, Deborah, and his sister, Eileen, and they're great women who mean the world to him, but the lack of a real male role model makes life hard on the youngster.

Eventually, Eli Smith tries out football. He wants to impress his father, he's sick of begging for his attention through phone calls and birthday cards, he has to do something great. He throws the ball around day after day, steadily improving his craft. But he forgot one important thing. Morty Smith is 5 foot 1 and Deborah Smith is 4 foot 9. Young Eli stands taller than both by the age of 12, but he's still just 5 foot 3 by the time he hits high school. He gets laughed off the field. Three months later, all Morty's roadside meals of Cheetos and vodka catch up with him. He dies right in the middle of an Exxon parking lot.

Eli Smith sits in a church, his father's casket right in front of him, he looks at his notes one last time and gets ready to deliver a eulogy. He doesn't know if there's an afterlife, but he's got to take one more shot at making his father proud. He must convince himself that Morty's sitting on a cloud, hanging on his son's every word for the first time in his existence. Eli Smith gets up to the podium, looks out on the seats, and sees that no one is there. It's Super Bowl Sunday. Who cares about a crotchety old salesman on day like today? The End.

:laugh:

Wasn't RJ one of the people who came to the defense of noted average QB Donovan McNabb when people dared point out how mediocre he really was?

I just keeping hearing the name Manning.

Were you shooting for comedy here? One of the game's QB is named Manning. The game is being played where another QB named Manning plays. And these two QBs have a former QB dad named Manning.

I just keeping hearing the name Manning.

One of the Super Bowl starting QBs is named Manning.
The Super Bowl is being played in the Meadowlands Stadium, the home stadium of a player named Manning.
The two aforementioned Mannings are easily two of the top 10 QBs over the last decade.
The two aforementioned Mannings are the sons of a hall of famer named Manning.

So yeah, the name Manning is probably gonna come up from time to time the week before the Super Bowl.

Were you shooting for comedy here? One of the game's QB is named Manning. The game is being played where another QB named Manning plays. And these two QBs have a former QB dad named Manning.

What he said.

Back