• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If not Petersen (Boise), PSU on the record as interested in Grobe

It's a good match if Grobe wants to deal with the baggage. If it goes well at Penn State, Grobe could stay there for another 10+ years at least.

I don't trust Wellman to make a decent hire though. He'd probably just promote from within. If we get lucky, it's Billings. If we don't, it's Lobo. I'm guessing everyone who doesn't get a promotion (i.e. Galloway or Elrod to OC) would head to Penn State.

Good to see an update on the Penn State position.

situation-omg.gif

$2.5 million and 6 wins and win-starved WFU fans love him.

$3.0 million and 6 wins @ PSU and fans will want to burn down his house and shoot his dog.

You make the call. Grobe is on the Gravy Train. He isn't going to budge.

ETA: If he does leave for PSU, Lobo will be exposed the first month.

I don't know about that. With everything that has occurred the next coach may have a longer than usual honeymoon period.

I can't help but wonder who here would complain if RW gave him a raise big enough to stay here (if possible).

Surely a lot of people since the 2.5 million is worth bitching over 10 times a week.

I doubt it's about money this time. I was fine with paying Grobe before because it showed we were serious about football and it paved the way for the tower and other upgrades even if they haven't resulted in better football. But I think most here would agree that significantly more than $2.5M is too much for Wake Forest to spend on a football coach.

Seriously. That would be just about the only thing that I can think of that would make me turn on Ron Wellman in the near future.

The only benefit about Lobo being HC is that he probably doesn't call the offense. Grobe defers a lot of the decision-making to his assistants and as a Grobe disciple i'm assuming he'd be the same way.

I doubt it's about money this time. I was fine with paying Grobe before because it showed we were serious about football and it paved the way for the tower and other upgrades even if they haven't resulted in better football. But I think most here would agree that significantly more than $2.5M is too much for Wake Forest to spend on a football coach.

$2.5M is ENTIRELY too much if the school is truly not serious about winning football games.

$2.5M is ENTIRELY reasonable if the school is serious about competing for conference championships and BCS bowl games.

Wake Forest needs to make this decision.

Hire Lobo would turn this board into an enterprise.

DO IT RON! I WANT TO MAKE $$$$ FROM YOUR hiring MISTAKES

Wake Forest already made that decision. It is reasonable. But significantly more than that probably isn't.

Wake Forest already made that decision. It is reasonable. But significantly more than that probably isn't.

I don't disagree. So, for $2.5 million/year, we have a very wide field from which to choose.

Hire Lobo would turn this board into an enterprise.

DO IT RON! I WANT TO MAKE $$$$ FROM YOUR hiring MISTAKES

How could it? After the thread where all the Deac fans plan a mass suicide to celebrate Lobo's hiring there isn't much potential for new fans.

I don't disagree. So, for $2.5 million/year, we have a very wide field from which to choose.

Exactly. Can you win at Wake? Yes. Will Wake pay a competitive salary to keep you? Yes, unless you're headed for one of the elite programs.

That should get a lot of good coaches on the phone.

This is the same person who hired Jeff Bzdelick, Jim Caldwell and fired the most successful baseball coach in WFU history.

Did he hire Jim Grobe? I cant remember where he falls in all this.....

Did he hire Jim Grobe? I cant remember where he falls in all this.....

He hired Grobe. The question I have is did he hire Caldwell... I thought that was the previous AD.

Back