• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If not Petersen (Boise), PSU on the record as interested in Grobe

LOL at Peterson going anywhere but a SEC school someday.

Even that is a far gone expectation.

I can't decide which of Mike Munchak or Chris Peterson is more LOLZworthy as a hopeful target for PSU. Both are total and complete pipe dreams, IMHO.

Would Grobe change his coaching style at a big time program?

Can he evolve?

I would think the "just hang on and try and win with a late field goal" strategy would have to go.

Grobe would be hung in effigy for some of the ultra conservative sheet he's pulled at Wake. Granted, that's what he thinks he has to do to win at Wake but it ain't gonna fly at a big time program.

I haven't paid any attention to the news this week, but he probably will be available soon, if he hasn't been fired yet.

Their 2-game winning streak may afford him another year in Indy.

FWIW when I was at Wake ('04-'08) and talked with players on the team, they gave a lot more credit to our assistants than Grobe (especially Hood).

I can't really see Penn State having a serious interest in Grobe. He's not the candidate he was back in 2007.

Their 2-game winning streak may afford him another year in Indy.

FWIW when I was at Wake ('04-'08) and talked with players on the team, they gave a lot more credit to our assistants than Grobe (especially Hood).

The players should feel that way.

Can he evolve?

I would think the "just hang on and try and win with a late field goal" strategy would have to go.

Grobe would be hung in effigy for some of the ultra conservative sheet he's pulled at Wake. Granted, that's what he thinks he has to do to win at Wake but it ain't gonna fly at a big time program.

In the Big 10? How many 17-13 games have Ohio State and Penn State won over the years?

I'm a huge Grobe supporter, but it's amazing how one huge year (Orange Bowl) allows our fan base to deflect most criticism against Grobe onto his OC. Lobo my in fact be a poor coordinator, but take away the Orange Bowl season and criticism about offenisve schemes, play calls and end-game situations rightfully focuses on the head coach and not his assistant.

Grobe gets his share of criticism. Lobo gets a large amount of criticism because as OC our OL and offensive production have been consistently poor. I do blame Grobe for not kicking him out of the best like some suggest he did to Lambert.

Can he evolve?

Penn State has played that way pretty much as long as I can remember.

Jim Grobe is a fine man and excellent representative of Wake Forest University, but he is grossly overpaid. That's not his fault, he parlayed one magical year and an offer from Arkansas into a cash killing. More power to him.

But if Penn State offers him the job, I really, really hope that Ron Wellman refuses to get into another bidding war and tells Grobe, "We're paying you every nickel we can afford, and I'm not raising it one nickel more. If that's not good enough, good luck to you."

BTW, had Grobe taken the Arkansas job, he would now be an ex-coach. No way he would have succeeded at the level Petrino has there (for one thing, Grobe is too honest for Arkansas.)

Grobe is at the one school in America that will pay him $2.5 million to be an honest coach.

I can't decide which of Mike Munchak or Chris Peterson is more LOLZworthy as a hopeful target for PSU. Both are total and complete pipe dreams, IMHO.

Not sure why you think Munchak is a pipe dream. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he took the job and kept the current defensive staff in place. He and Bradley played together at PSU for at least one year and Bradley was an assistant the rest of Munchak's career. I don't think people realize how much Paterno's former players love and respect him. Someone like Munchak could be very motivated to help restore Paterno's and Penn State's reputation.

I doubt Petersen got much consideration with Boise State just having been put on probation, including a loss of scholarships.

The original reporter, David Jones, is a not-so-well regarded hack with no sources. I wouldn't put an ounce of thought in to anything he writes. The rumblings I have heard is that PSU already has their man and it is a "home run" hire, but it is under wraps until that coach finishes his season. As little news as there has been about the PSU coaching search, that makes a lot of sense. If I had to guess, I think it's either Munchak or possibly someone like Mark Richt. Penn State football revenue is $70 million a year. You're crazy if you don't think they will end up with a very good football coach.

Not sure why you think Munchak is a pipe dream. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he took the job and kept the current defensive staff in place. He and Bradley played together at PSU for at least one year and Bradley was an assistant the rest of Munchak's career. I don't think people realize how much Paterno's former players love and respect him. Someone like Munchak could be very motivated to help restore Paterno's and Penn State's reputation.

I doubt Petersen got much consideration with Boise State just having been put on probation, including a loss of scholarships.

The original reporter, David Jones, is a not-so-well regarded hack with no sources. I wouldn't put an ounce of thought in to anything he writes. The rumblings I have heard is that PSU already has their man and it is a "home run" hire, but it is under wraps until that coach finishes his season. As little news as there has been about the PSU coaching search, that makes a lot of sense. If I had to guess, I think it's either Munchak or possibly someone like Mark Richt. Penn State football revenue is $70 million a year. You're crazy if you don't think they will end up with a very good football coach.

I thought the goal here was to find someone w/o PSU connections. If thats still the case, they aren't gonna end up with a very good coach as there is not one available ( at least not one I know of). If they wanna stay in the "family", well maybe they get one. However they are stained for a very long time and recruits (at least the cream of the crop) will stay away. If you think different, you're crazy. If you really think about it, PSU hasn't been really relevant in a while.

I think Grobe would be a great hire for them. Job #1 is rebuilding the integrity of the program. Grobe's integrity is unmatched. Secondly, it is really hard to follow a legend. In order to do so, I think you need a veteran coach with a thick skin. Again, few coaches fit that bill better than Grobe. Given Grobe's age. He could coach there 5 - 8 years and pass the baton to a younger man who will not be in Paterno's shadow. I think it would be a great hire for PSU.

A Deac fan told me a story once. . .this is second hand, so I my be getting some of the details wrong. The story goes that this fella was listening to an interview Grobe did with Mark Packer when he was on WFNZ. After the on-air segment, apparently Packer asked Grobe if there was one school he would leave Wake for, what would it be. Pack Man did not air divulge the answer on air. However, this Deac fan e-mailed Pack Man and he divulged the answer in his response. . . Penn State. So, the story goes. . .Penn State is Jim Grobe's Dream Job.

I have also heard JG say that he has one more move left in him. . .

As for his replacement, I suspect that RW would stay in house. Lobo is probably the most likely candidate. I don't know whether he would be a good HC or not. What I do know is that recruits and their parents seem to love him and he is smart as a whip. I suspect that if he was HC, we would have a more wide open offense than we have had under Grobe.

Sounds like Petersen is going to take the Penn St. job.

Last edited:
I think Grobe would be a great hire for them. Job #1 is rebuilding the integrity of the program. Grobe's integrity is unmatched. Secondly, it is really hard to follow a legend. In order to do so, I think you need a veteran coach with a thick skin. Again, few coaches fit that bill better than Grobe. Given Grobe's age. He could coach there 5 - 8 years and pass the baton to a younger man who will not be in Paterno's shadow. I think it would be a great hire for PSU.

A Deac fan told me a story once. . .this is second hand, so I my be getting some of the details wrong. The story goes that this fella was listening to an interview Grobe did with Mark Packer when he was on WFNZ. After the on-air segment, apparently Packer asked Grobe if there was one school he would leave Wake for, what would it be. Pack Man did not air divulge the answer on air. However, this Deac fan e-mailed Pack Man and he divulged the answer in his response. . . Penn State. So, the story goes. . .Penn State is Jim Grobe's Dream Job.

I have also heard JG say that he has one more move left in him. . .

As for his replacement, I suspect that RW would stay in house. Lobo is probably the most likely candidate. I don't know whether he would be a good HC or not. What I do know is that recruits and their parents seem to love him and he is smart as a whip. I suspect that if he was HC, we would have a more wide open offense than we have had under Grobe.

Agree 100%.

You guys are crazy if you think Grobe is PSU's 2nd choice behind the Boise State coach. He might be on the list but he isn't at the top, even if Petersen turns them down.

Jim Grobe is a fine man and excellent representative of Wake Forest University, but he is grossly overpaid. That's not his fault, he parlayed one magical year and an offer from Arkansas into a cash killing. More power to him.

But if Penn State offers him the job, I really, really hope that Ron Wellman refuses to get into another bidding war and tells Grobe, "We're paying you every nickel we can afford, and I'm not raising it one nickel more. If that's not good enough, good luck to you."

BTW, had Grobe taken the Arkansas job, he would now be an ex-coach. No way he would have succeeded at the level Petrino has there (for one thing, Grobe is too honest for Arkansas.)

Grobe is at the one school in America that will pay him $2.5 million to be an honest coach.

That's ridiculous. Grobe makes a few hundred thousand more than David Cutcliffe. I think he has earned it.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...etersen-not-interested-in-penn-state-vacancy/

David Jones of the Patriot-News writes that “Petersen has made it known he is not interested in Penn State’s vacant head coaching position.” Jones describes Petersen rebuffing PSU’s overtures as “no shocker there.”

Of course, and until PSU fills a position that’s been vacant since the legendary Joe Paterno was fired in the middle of last month, Petersen’s name will likely be connected to the job, regardless of how many times he publicly or privately dismisses the notion.

Tennessee Titans’ head coach and former PSU player Mike Munchak — he’s already denied any interest in the job — Green Bay Packers quarterbacks coach Tom Clements and a pair of current coaches at the collegiate level — Wake Forest’s Jim Grobe and Duke’s David Cutcliffe – have all been mentioned as potential successors to Paterno. PSU’s interim head coach Tom Bradley and quarterbacks coach Jay Paterno have already “interviewed” for the job, although those were widely considered a mere courtesy to the long-time Nittany Lions assistants and neither has a realistic shot at taking over.

Back