• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If not Petersen (Boise), PSU on the record as interested in Grobe

I dont see Grobe being the 10th fall back guy gong into that cess pool to be an interim replaced as soon as things cool down and they hire someone they really want.

On the other hand, if JG fools around and plays the coaching game, let him go. He has it made at Wake and if he isn't happy and wants to dance around with all the girls and forget the one that brung ya- well goodbye. No more Arkansas crap.

I'm a huge Grobe supporter, but it's amazing how one huge year (Orange Bowl) allows our fan base to deflect most criticism against Grobe onto his OC. Lobo my in fact be a poor coordinator, but take away the Orange Bowl season and criticism about offenisve schemes, play calls and end-game situations rightfully focuses on the head coach and not his assistant.

I'm a huge Grobe supporter, but it's amazing how one huge year (Orange Bowl) allows our fan base to deflect most criticism against Grobe onto his OC. Lobo my in fact be a poor coordinator, but take away the Orange Bowl season and criticism about offenisve schemes, play calls and end-game situations rightfully focuses on the head coach and not his assistant.

That's going to happen when a man changes our expectation from, excited to get an invitation to Shreveport to, indignant about getting an invitation to Shreveport.

A quick perusal of PSU's Scout board reveals that they do not want Grobe. Hiring Grobe would be an "epic fail" and an "awful choice" as he is a "hack" coach who is "substandard."

Even before all this Sandusky mess, PSU reminds me of one of those programs whose best days are in the past. Sure it is an upgrade for Grobe (and I wouldn't want us to bend over backwards this time to keep him), but I don't understand why Chris Petersen would jump for the Penn State job.

Penn State, wow. Great job under "normal" circumstances. With what they've got going on now and for several years to go, not so much.

Best of luck to anyone that accepts that job......

A quick perusal of PSU's Scout board reveals that they do not want Grobe. Hiring Grobe would be an "epic fail" and an "awful choice" as he is a "hack" coach who is "substandard."

That is pretty much what the UVA board said when I floated Grobe's name months before Grobe went to Wake and UVA hired Groh. Those same posters were excited about Groh's super bowl rings and after his first full year recruiting class predicted a national championship.

With the exception of this board, you can't put much stock in what posters say, LOL.

It would have been nice to see what Grobe would have done at a "Big Time" program, but to me, I enjoy the fun of watching him coach an underdog program that actually has a basic concept of some correlation of recruiting players who actually want to earn a degree and make something of themselves.

As bad as Ohio State fans are, Penn State fans are a step below and I would hate to see Grobe at a school like that.

From the recruting aspect, at his age, Grobe really needs to make clear he is staying at Wake if that his intent. It would seem his recruiting might have dipped a few years ago with all of the rumors of a move. The margin of error is really thin for recruiting at Wake.

At the end of the day, Coach Grobe wants to win, but I think developing life long relationships is more important to him. I think much of that is based on the death of his father when he was growing up and the death of him mentor and close friend Ray Hagley in the Marshall plane crash. I think coach Grobe will stay at Wake and I think he has the ability to guide the team to another ACC Championship!

Would Penn State allow him to bring his entire staff? Seemed to be the stumbling block at Michigan and Nebraska.

You know I started a thread on here a few weeks ago about this and him maybe ending up at Penn State and everybody thought I was nuts. Hope it doesn't happen.

It would be a lot to think about. Yeah Penn State is a huge school with huge tradition, but stepping in there on the heels of the scandal and replacing a legend is a tough gig. Of course Grobe may be thinking he doesn't want to end his career and have the regret of never taking a shot at a bigtime program.

Last edited:
Regarding baseball. Greer was here for double digit years and finished above .500 in the ACC once or twice and never made the NCAAs. We hire Moranda and we immediately have huge talent infusion, and become a top 25 program.

Within 3 years of Moranda leaving, we are 4-20 in the ACC in Greer's last season here.

Coincidence, I think not!!!!!!

Really, the only headscratcher Wellman has ever made was the Bzzzz move.

Caldwell, didn't work out, but at the time I thought it was a good decision. Major asst at a power program and we got alot of favorable press for hiring a minority coach. Just like David Cutcliffe was a good hire at Duke even if he doesn't end up winning there. Tough programs to win at.

Last edited:
I can't imagine any coach who has a secure head job currently, wanting any part of this mess at PSU. I think Peterson and Grobe both say no, and it's not really a close call.

Not a job I'd touch today. Maybe in 3 to 5 years but the off field stuff (coming suits) will loom over that program for at least several years imo.

LOL at Peterson going anywhere but a SEC school someday.

Even that is a far gone expectation.

Not a job I'd touch today. Maybe in 3 to 5 years but the off field stuff (coming suits) will loom over that program for at least several years imo.

Yeah, I hope that's wha would keep Grobe from taking it, but maybe he would feel like it's his last chance to take a big-time job???

I canot imagine Peterson leaving Boise, a program he pretty much built into a national power and seems to keep reloading, especially now that they are moving to a power conference. Agree with everyone who sees that PSU is not a top job right now. That is going to be a train wreck for a few years at least. What recuit wants to hear the Pedophile State U jokes. What is an old women who like boys? A cougar. What is an old man who likes boys? A Nittany Lion. Lawsuits, firings in the Athletic Department. Hell with that.

LOL at Peterson going anywhere but a SEC school someday.

Even that is a far gone expectation.
California native who has spent his entire career on bordering states.

They do have the 14 best programs in America, however.

I wouldn't be thrilled with Lobo as the HC, but don't assume that coordinator success or failure is predictive of Head Coaching success or failure. Lobo is a disciplined guy, seems to understand the culture/philosophy of Wake, and he is, by all accounts, a good person. He could be an outstanding coach. Most folks would really prefer Lobo as HC and Galloway as OC over Grobe + Lobo. They just won't admit I yet.

Back