• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If we lose out, % that Bz is fired

The chances that Bzz gets canned if we lose out

• Total voters
1. Agree that we won't lose out. All rabble aside, we still have some very winnable games at home remaining on our schedule. We'll win 1 or 2 of them just because home-court means that much and the ACC is that bad.

2. If for some reason we failed to win another game all year--again, highly unlikely IMHO--it honestly wouldn't shock me to see [Redacted] "step down" in some form or another. I think Wellman's silence this year vis-a-vis last year is telling. Two seasons of 19 total wins would be enough for a move. I could see [Redacted] leaving "on his own," Wellman tagging a youngish mid-major coach for a cheap price (e.g., Groce), and letting the new coach field an NIT-hopeful club with next year's recruiting class going forward.

You know what, I just realized that #2 above is a pipe dream as far as the end result. We're probably stuck with [Redacted] for at least another season.

Losing AT HOME to the steaming pile of dog crap that is BC, then losing twice to GT, and at home against Clemson? It would have to be considered at that point.

The Bzzbags over the head would make someone think about something, although I don't know that that something would be firing [Redacted].

Wellman is a stubborn ass who has a hard time admitting he fucked up a hire. Gentlemen Jim never should have had 8 years.

It's not like we were good when they committed. They signed up for the re-build. Having a non-terrible coach should be a perk.

But yeah, the recruits shouldn't be taken into consideration at all.

People said this when Dino was fired, and I disagreed with it then. They committed to playing for [Redacted] and co as much as they committed to playing for Wake Forest. I can't imagine any of them would consider firing [Redacted] to be a positive.

I also think it's very unlikely that we will lose out, but if we do Wellman might be forced to make a change.

And they all stayed, so you were wrong.

No, I actually wasn't.

Just because they stayed doesn't mean they were relieved that Dino was fired. That's a ludicrous jump. More likely than not there was a confluence of issues that counteracted the fact they wouldn't be playing for the coach they commited to play for: they liked [Redacted] enough, felt good that the previous staff would mostly be in place (Battle and Rusty), and lacked other options that late in the game.

wgaf about the recruits.. it's not like we'd be losing the OCC crew or chris paul or whatever. and even if they were good recruits buzz would probably fuck them up.

No, I actually wasn't.

Just because they stayed doesn't mean they were relieved that Dino was fired. That's a ludicrous jump. More likely than not there was a confluence of issues that counteracted the fact they wouldn't be playing for the coach they commited to play for: they liked [Redacted] enough, felt good that the previous staff would mostly be in place (Battle and Rusty), and lacked other options that late in the game.

I didn't say they actually want him to be fired (just that they should). Does it matter why they stay? No. It's a black/white issue.

I didn't say they actually want him to be fired (just that they should). Does it matter why they stay? No. It's a black/white issue.

Oh I don't disagree that it's irrelevant what they think, but suggestions that they would be (or even should be) happy about it are irrelevant.

I'd be pretty disturbed if a player who committed to play for [Redacted] was excited in the event he is fired.

0 percent. I truly believe he's given a third year.

Watching UNC/Duke I turned to my wife and said, "I just want to matter again." she was relieved to learn that I was only talking about basketball.

We're talking about Wellman, though. The guy who has the most vested interest in the success of [Redacted].

When people have an action to defend, I've seen a great deal of crazy justifications.

No doubt. And that's why I don't think someone who isn't swayed yet would be swayed by losing out. They're too delusional.

I think we should have learned by this point (from the Dino situation with his class) that we shouldn't take the recruits into account.

I think we should have learned by this point (from the Dino situation with his class) that we shouldn't take the recruits into account.

Nor should we engineer the rest of the assistant staff for the head coach.

numbers and Racer, it doesn't take a genius to know either of those things which is why I don't trust Wellman not to make the same mistakes again.

I will cut off my left arm if Buzz is fired this season. I am that sure he will be given a third year even if we lose our remaining games by an average of 30 points.

If he is fired, who on earth would replace him? This job is far less attractive than it was 2 years ago, and that's when all we could get was Bzz, assuming Wellman actually targeted anyone else. 2 years ago, we were a tournament team with a top 10 class coming in. Now we're irrelevant with no end in sight.

numbers and Racer, it doesn't take a genius to know either of those things which is why I don't trust Wellman not to make the same mistakes again.

I trust him not to, he has made a lot of good decisions as the AD and while this is a big mistake, he won't make it again. If he does...I don't know what to say.

This job is far less attractive than it was 2 years ago, and that's when all we could get was Bzz, assuming Wellman actually targeted anyone else.
I will never believe this. I'm almost certain there were far better options, with far more impressive resumes, that we could have got- ACC school, recently ranked number one in the nation, offering around a million dollars per year to the head coach. And Bz is the best we could expect? Just can't accept that.

I do believe what you say about the job being far less attractive now though. The program is in shambles. I doubt the next coach is going to be offered close to 7 figures and coaches who would have been interested before won't give us a second look now. They'll probably bust out laughing after Wellman makes his pitch.

Last edited:
I think the job is less attractive. I don't think Bz was all Wellman could get. I think Bz was what Wellman wanted. I am concerned he tried to hire the most experienced coach he could get for a low price though. And I definitely think he hired with Battle and Rusty in mind.

People continue to say "nobody wants to come here if we fire [Redacted]" but Wake will always be a school with a pretty good basketball history in a premier conference for basketball in which everyone gets to play Duke and UNC every year. For a young coach at a smaller school, it would be interesting for him to turn Wake down because "OMG THEY FIRED DINO AND [Redacted] QUICKLY" when it is evident that we can still get pretty good recruits to come to Wake.

This

Back