• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

If you could change any rule in pro sports

I hate the fumble out of the end zone rule.

This one is esoteric but i hate half the distance penalties. Why does the offense get the full penalty while the defense gets half the distance.

If you play through all four quarters/two halfs of your basketball game without calling a timeout, your team is credited three points at the end of regulation.

I hate the fumble out of the end zone rule.

This one is esoteric but i hate half the distance penalties. Why does the offense get the full penalty while the defense gets half the distance.
This is a good one. Get a 15 yard defensive penalty at the 10 yard line? Just put it on the 2.

One rule I would change and it effects not just pro sports is the stupid rule that you have to play your ball if it settles in a divot in the fairway. You hit a good drive, only to find your ball in a divot. Why isn’t that considered ground under repair, they put freaking divot repair mix on the carts? Yeah I know it could cause a debate about when a divot has healed and all that, but when it‘s a pretty fresh divot with no grass regrowth, it’s pretty obvious.

I'd do something about NBA buyouts. It's ridiculous that Kevin Love played 20 mpg for the Cavs, got cut, and got signed by the Heat and is starting in the second round of the playoffs but there's no trade compensation involved.

In baseball I would like to see salary caps removed and a move towards the soccer transfer model. It's the one American sport where buying and selling contracts for cash could work.

But since this will never happen because there are way too many institutional changes needed then I'd really like to see a salary floor put in place. It's horseshit that without the threat of relegation a club like the A's can barf up a horrid $34mm roster and not suffer any consequence other than selling a few less tickets.

I'm kidding. If it's a magical change any rule I'd allow myself a max contract to sit at the end of an NBA bench and not take up a roster spot. My teammates would not mind because I'd cheer more (and practice less) than everyone else but I'd pick up the club tabs.

Wow that is a great question. And I must tell you I’ve read some weird suggestions so far.
Now that MLB has its head head out of its ass and has sped up the game I have to turn to football.
Besides stopping treating the QB like glass, and getting rid of the fumble out of the end zone, I’D like to see each Coach have one challenge specifically for past interference calls. You win the challenge, you still have one. If you lose, it costs you a TO.

Offsetting penalties meaning a do-over. At the very least take the difference.
That's a good one. Maybe add that multiple penalties on the same team on the same play tack on 5 yards per penalty too.

Get rid of the extra time in world football. Just go to the collegiate rules. When the ball goes out, the clock stops. It will get rid of the arbitrary extra time, dudes won't wallow on the ground, and keepers won't take 3 minutes to kick the fing ball. Its the easiest rule to implement, and would solve numerous issues in world football. Shorten the game to 40 min halves if necessary.

That's a good one. Maybe add that multiple penalties on the same team on the same play tack on 5 yards per penalty too.
Yeah I’d add on count all penalties. Pass interference and roughing the passer? That’s gonna cost ya.

If you call a timeout before getting the basketball across mid court, the ten second count does not reset.

Yeah I’d add on count all penalties. Pass interference and roughing the passer? That’s gonna cost ya.
A roughing call is a free play for the defense.

Back