• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ilhan Omar Takes Victory Lap: Resolution 1st Vote Against ‘Anti-Muslim Bigotry’

And the other factor is more obvious still: Muslim immigration and voter demographics.

In Britain, for example, many of the traditional working class Labour strongholds — especially in the north — now have large Muslim populations. If you’re a Labour MP in one of those areas, anti-Semitism isn’t a badge of shame but a potent vote-winning strategy.

Labour MPs who don’t toe the line are swiftly put in their place. Sarah Champion, Labour MP for Rotherham — where an estimated 1,400 girls were raped by Muslim “grooming” gangs — wrote a piece in the Sun under the headline “British Pakistani Men ARE raping and exploiting white girls… and it’s time we faced up to it.”

She was subsequently sacked from Labour’s front bench and bullied by her party into a semi-retraction. “The article should not have gone out in my name and I apologise that it did,” she said.

America, you have been warned.

Is it one’s own failure in this system that makes them think an entirely new system is required?

Plenty of people who think we need a new system are doing fine. Many of them realize that in our system, you can fail quickly through no fault of your own.

Had a busy week and haven't been able to read much about this until today, but...the House passes an anti-hate resolution clearly condemning anti-Semitism, Islamophobia, and racism in general. Rep. Omar, who has been accused of making anti-Semitic remarks, voted for the resolution and afterwards praised its passage. Yet 23 House members actually voted against it, and all 23 were Republicans, and GOP Rep. Steve King abstained - yet board conservatives are arguing that this is evidence that it's the Dems who are racist and bigoted?

Had a busy week and haven't been able to read much about this until today, but...the House passes an anti-hate resolution clearly condemning anti-Semitism, Islamophobia, and racism in general. Rep. Omar, who has been accused of making anti-Semitic remarks, voted for the resolution and afterwards praised its passage. Yet 23 House members actually voted against it, and all 23 were Republicans, and GOP Rep. Steve King abstained - yet board conservatives are arguing that this is evidence that it's the Dems who are racist and bigoted?

That is simply and ill informed response for those of us who watched it all unfold from beginning to end. Another hypocritical democrat shit show. See D Rep Deutch if you need it explained further. Just some watered down nonsense via the transfer of power from Pelosi to AOC.

That is simply and ill informed response for those of us who watched it all unfold from beginning to end. Another hypocritical democrat shit show. See D Rep Deutch if you need it explained further. Just some watered down nonsense via the transfer of power from Pelosi to AOC.

I would love for you to inform me properly

Rep. Deutch, despite some criticisms of the resolution, still voted for it. If the resolution was just some "watered down nonsense", why did 23 Republicans vote against it, and Steve King abstain? Why would you not want to be on record as opposing racism and bigotry in all forms by voting for a simple resolution?

We’re against hate! See, we passed a resolution against it!

The whole thing is such a joke.

As is the outrage over Omar’s comments. But at least it allowed whatabout and Brad the opportunity to virtue signal.

Rep. Deutch, despite some criticisms of the resolution, still voted for it. If the resolution was just some "watered down nonsense", why did 23 Republicans vote against it, and Steve King abstain? Why would you not want to be on record as opposing racism and bigotry in all forms by voting for a simple resolution?

My representative, Ted Budd, said, "On Thursday night, I voted against the Democrat’s so called "anti-hate" resolution and I want to be clear about why. In the beginning, this resolution set out to condemn the clearly anti-Semitic statements made by Representative Ilhan Omar. However, when the radical faction of the Democratic caucus pushed back against the resolution, Speaker Pelosi capitulated and severely watered it down. If your party has to debate how to respond to an anti-Semite, and you ultimately fold to the most radical voices in it, I believe your party’s problems are larger than you think."

Republicans have no good ideas. All they know is to react against whatever they imagine to be librul.

See they’re not against hate! They could even pass a resolution against it!

The whole thing is such a joke.

Alternate timeline Junebug.

It’s only about owning the libs.

My representative, Ted Budd, said, "On Thursday night, I voted against the Democrat’s so called "anti-hate" resolution and I want to be clear about why. In the beginning, this resolution set out to condemn the clearly anti-Semitic statements made by Representative Ilhan Omar. However, when the radical faction of the Democratic caucus pushed back against the resolution, Speaker Pelosi capitulated and severely watered it down. If your party has to debate how to respond to an anti-Semite, and you ultimately fold to the most radical voices in it, I believe your party’s problems are larger than you think."

The problem with Budd's excuse is that the resolution, whether "watered down" or not, still clearly condemned anti-Semitism, as well as Islamophobia and all forms of racism. Budd sounds as if his real problem with the resolution is that it denied him the chance to vote against a specific Democrat, and a Muslim one at that. Neither he nor any of the other 22 Republicans should have had any problems voting for a resolution that still condemned anti-Semitism. I'm wondering how much of Budd's, and the other GOPers, opposition had to do with the fact that the resolution also condemned bigotry against Muslims. My guess is that a good many Republicans don't have any problems with bigotry against that particular religion.

Really interesting how putting additional forms of hate in an anti-hate resolution is considered "watering it down"

Republicans: Anti-semitism is bad! Pelosi needs to condemn this hate!
Also Republicans: Well, there’s no way I’m voting for Pelosi’s anti-hate resolution.

I kind of agree with junebug, though i suspect for different reasons. Both parties uphold the status quo of white supremacy, so a symbolic vote is bullshit.

Oh it’s definitely bullshit. It’s a bullshit response to a Republican controversy that distracts from legitimate discussion of the role of money in politics and the “loyalty pledge” legislation in 26 states.

I kind of agree with junebug, though i suspect for different reasons. Both parties uphold the status quo of white supremacy, so a symbolic vote is bullshit.
I for one am very satisfied that our pragmatic establishment Dem leadership was able to get things done and pass this bipartisan anti-hate legislation.

It was rather amusing watching GOP Rep. Liz Cheney (Dick Cheney's daughter) attacking the Democrats as anti-Semitic on Meet the Press this morning. Her argument was that the anti-hate resolution was toothless, and should have been aimed specifically at Rep. Omar and her "hate speech", and that the Dems should have stripped Omar of her membership on the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, just as the GOP (finally) did to Rep. Steve King (after 13 years). For Liz to condemn hate speech is pretty rich, given that she threw her own lesbian sister under the bus in her failed 2014 Senate bid by condemning gay marriage (apparently they didn't speak to each other for years afterwards). She's "deeply concerned" about one of the first Muslim women to serve in the House spouting hate speech and the House Dems "support" of it, but she's apparently got no problems with supporting bigotry against gays and restricting the rights of her own sister to marry. Nice going, Liz.

Last edited:
Back