• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

In-N-Out Burger

I'm in the overrated camp too. But make the trek for the office or umami burger, neither are overrated at all.

Here's my theory on In-N-Out: Up until about 10 years it absolutely must have been the best place to get a fast food style quality burger. This was a novelty. Now all around the country you've got places like Five Guys, Shake Shack, Whataburger, plus a whole reasonable craft pub-style burger scene. These places have really watered down the impact of In-N-Out on a newcomer who didn't grow up on them before experiencing all these other awesome burgers.

It would be like if NC had an awesome fast food burrito chain that locals loved for years but really was just about as good as Chipotle.

Here's my theory on In-N-Out: Up until about 10 years it absolutely must have been the best place to get a fast food style quality burger. This was a novelty. Now all around the country you've got places like Five Guys, Shake Shack, Whataburger, plus a whole reasonable craft pub-style burger scene. These places have really watered down the impact of In-N-Out on a newcomer who didn't grow up on them before experiencing all these other awesome burgers.

It would be like if NC had an awesome fast food burrito chain that locals loved for years but really was just about as good as Chipotle.

Had to meet a former boss tonight to catch up. We just met at the Marriott bar near my hotel since it was easy. I'll keep you posted on where I sample. Looks like tomorrow night is my night to explore something new.

if you think you'll be on the west coast more often for the new job than i'd wait for in-n-out until you're in a rush and it fits a need. otherwise, with a night off you gotta get some asian food up there man, its amazing (as bdz suggested). maybe juice can cook you up some pasta if you ask him.

I agree with buckets. Really In n Out shouldn't be thought of in the same category as the newer luxury burger places, but it is because of the hype/novelty. My friend recently went to Cali and was dissapoonted, saying it's no
Five guys. No shit. A burger at five
Guys is like $7. In n out should only be compared to McDonalds or other $2-3 burger places. And it crushes.

I'm in the overrated camp too. But make the trek for the office or umami burger, neither are overrated at all.

Same here. Had it recently in LA after waiting far too long in the drive through line and was underwhelmed.

Does RJ know about the Bible verses on In and Out cups?

Lived in Cali for 2 years. Went my first month to see what the hype was all about. Never went back. Good fries though.

Hijack - anyone ever been to a BurgerFi? One coming to Raleigh soon. Never even heard of it before now.

yeah this was pretty much my experience. is it a really good fast food burger? yes. is it nearly as good as Californians make it out to be? absolutely not.

i wonder if people from outside NC feel the same way about Cookout

Yes.

I was in 5 Guys once and this family (parents were morbidly obese, children were def on there way there) and they brought in McDonald's. Started setting it up for the kids then waddled to the counter and ordered 5 guys for themselves. I've just wanted to post this. I like In N Out but I think what buckets said is a correct appraisal of the situation. I do wonder if Cookout is not as magical as I remember it to be.

I actually live in NC and don't think Cookout is some incredible thing either. I go about once a year, randomly to get a peanut butter milkshake. I could care less about the food, although the Cookout tray is high value if you're hurting for cash at the drive through.

So my opinion is that the milkshakes at Cookout are legit. The food is fine I suppose. Just something to go along with the awesome milkshake. Oh and they are open all the time, which is also money.

Cook-out is still awesome, I went there Saturday and it was everything I wanted it to be...the gf loved it too, her first time. She got a peach cobbler shake, which I had never gotten.

I finally pulled the trigger on the watermelon shake, mmm hmm.

Smashburger was also pretty good when I tried it in Denver a few weeks ago. Colorado Style with about 1/2lb of green chilies on it. Better than 5 Guys, IMO. Had no idea there was one in Charlotte until after our trip.

Shake Shack was very underwhelming after all the hype. Expensive too.

Back