• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Interesting Article on Greg Marshall

Last thing I'll say on this as we've beaten the horse enough. When asked about scheduling better OOC games, he brought up a school over 1,000 miles away that no one gives a shit about and was not brought up. He could have easily answered that question without bringing us up.

And I have thought about it that way. I don't see K or Roy either saying some stupid bullshit like that. I reiterate that I'm not pissed that he took a shot at us. All those things you said are objectively true. If this brings more attention to our sucktitude and forces someone to fix it, I'll be very happy. I just think it made Marshall look small. I wouldn't doubt it if what the earlier poster said about Wellman pissing Marshall off at some point were true. I'm not old-fashioned or butthurt, I just think Marshall looked like a douche. I think others are mistaking Marshall's douchey remarks for swagger.

ETA: I also saw BKF pos rep one of my earlier remarks. I can't think of a better reason to get out of this conversation.

If Marshall were more swagger than douche, he would take a job at a real school playing against the big boys. His long tenures at Winthrop and at WSU indicate a preference for being the big fish in the small pond. It's a lot easier to win in the Big South and Missouri Valley than it is in the ACC or Big Ten. He's a really good coach but will continue to come across as a douche until he takes the next step up the coaching ladder.

Last thing I'll say on this as we've beaten the horse enough. When asked about scheduling better OOC games, he brought up a school over 1,000 miles away that no one gives a shit about and was not brought up. He could have easily answered that question without bringing us up.

And I have thought about it that way. I don't see K or Roy either saying some stupid bullshit like that. I reiterate that I'm not pissed that he took a shot at us. All those things you said are objectively true. If this brings more attention to our sucktitude and forces someone to fix it, I'll be very happy. I just think it made Marshall look small. I wouldn't doubt it if what the earlier poster said about Wellman pissing Marshall off at some point were true. I'm not old-fashioned or butthurt, I just think Marshall looked like a douche. I think others are mistaking Marshall's douchey remarks for swagger.

ETA: I also saw BKF pos rep one of my earlier remarks. I can't think of a better reason to get out of this conversation.

Have you seen a transcript of what he was asked? The original comments came in a column by a guy who writes for an NC newspaper. It's likely he was asked about scheduling ACC teams

Who said players don't like Marshall?
The only people that , so far, we've established don't like Marshall are old white butthurt Wake fans.

I'm Marshall's age, a Wake fan and I am not butthurt. I like Marshall a lot. I don't expect him to come to Wake but I wish he would.

If Marshall were more swagger than douche, he would take a job at a real school playing against the big boys. His long tenures at Winthrop and at WSU indicate a preference for being the big fish in the small pond. It's a lot easier to win in the Big South and Missouri Valley than it is in the ACC or Big Ten. He's a really good coach but will continue to come across as a douche until he takes the next step up the coaching ladder.

He'll always be a douche.

The question is does he want to move from a job for life, making virtually the same money, almost a guarantee to a slot in the HOF to Wake. It's not as easy a decision as you think.

It's one thing if he stayed at Winthrop, but Wichita State can pay him well over $2M/year.

The question is does he want to move from a job for life, making virtually the same money, almost a guarantee to a slot in the HOF to Wake. It's not as easy a decision as you think.

It's one thing if he stayed at Winthrop, but Wichita State can pay him well over $2M/year.

Nope.

Wait, what? He's won a NIT championship and been to one Final 4, and we're already nominating him to the hall of fame?

Until he proves he's willing to step up to the big leagues, he should keep his mouth shut. Otherwise, he just sounds like a douche. I don't care what Wichita State can pay him, it ain't the ACC. And it's a whole lot easier to win there.

Wait, what? He's won a NIT championship and been to one Final 4, and we're already nominating him to the hall of fame?

Far be it from me to delve into RJ's brain, but I think RJ was referring to the fact that he's 51 years old and already has ~370 wins. If he coaches another 12-15 years at Wichita State, he's going to win a shit ton of conference championships and win between 700-850 total games. If he does go to another final four or two, he probably does have a shot at the hall of fame.

Let's get real. Winning games at WSU isn't an automatic entry to the HOF. He can win games and make big bucks in Kansas as long as he likes. But he'll have tough stretches there if he stays. If he wants to see what he's really made of, he'll make the jump to a major conference. It probably won't be Wake but he's going to go somewhere. If we set him up in the top three in pay in the conference I'd bet he'd jump. The ACC is going to be the big stage when the Ville shows up. It's the difference between off and on Broadway. It's up to him. No matter his choice, I think he's a hell of a coach.

Until he proves he's willing to step up to the big leagues, he should keep his mouth shut. Otherwise, he just sounds like a douche. I don't care what Wichita State can pay him, it ain't the ACC. And it's a whole lot easier to win there.

He made it to the Final Four last year and logged the first undefeated regular season since 1991 in what will likely culminate in a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Dude doesn't have to prove shit to anyone and he has earned the right to be an arrogant prick. Why this is even a debate is beyond me.

Like I said the other day, everyone should move on from Marshall. It takes 2 to tango and likely neither party is interested. That doesn't mean there aren't other elite coaches to go after.

Like I said the other day, everyone should move on from Marshall. It takes 2 to tango and likely neither party is interested. That doesn't mean there aren't other elite coaches to go after.

But you don't know that. Who knows what Gregg Marshall really wants.

But you don't know that. Who knows what Gregg Marshall really wants.

This board has a really hard time reading between the lines. You guys continue on with your 20-pagers on a coach who will not be coming to Wake and I'll keep my mouth shut.

This board has a really hard time reading between the lines. You guys continue on with your 20-pagers on a coach who will not be coming to Wake and I'll keep my mouth shut.

There are 20k reasons why Gregg Marshall will choose not to come here. The quotation in that article is not one of them. If the speculation on the coaching decision annoys you, then why comment on it? If anything, then thinking about guys we'll never get is just more enjoyable than having to actually live with the shitshow that is our basketball program and AD.

At the end of the day and no matter who we all want to be on Ron's shortlist, Ron is going to hire some 50 year old retread with a deceptively good record amidst a mediocre track record. If I was a betting man, then I'd put money on Chris Mooney being that guy or, at the very least, that being the type of hire Ron makes. One can still dream, though...

You don't think 900 wins, multiple conference championships, at least one Final Four and other runs in The Dance equals HOF.

Remind again how many coaches with at least 800 D1 wins aren't in the HOF.

Hint the answer is ZERO.

Let's get real. Winning games at WSU isn't an automatic entry to the HOF. He can win games and make big bucks in Kansas as long as he likes. But he'll have tough stretches there if he stays. If he wants to see what he's really made of, he'll make the jump to a major conference. It probably won't be Wake but he's going to go somewhere. If we set him up in the top three in pay in the conference I'd bet he'd jump. The ACC is going to be the big stage when the Ville shows up. It's the difference between off and on Broadway. It's up to him. No matter his choice, I think he's a hell of a coach.

There's no reason for him to have tough stretches at WSU. For the past five years, he's averaging 29 wins+/year. Even at 25 wins/year, if stays there until retirement he'll be right at 850.

As I said in another post, there are ZERO D1 coaches with 800+ wins who aren't in the HOF.

There are 20k reasons why Gregg Marshall will choose not to come here. The quotation in that article is not one of them. If the speculation on the coaching decision annoys you, then why comment on it? If anything, then thinking about guys we'll never get is just more enjoyable than having to actually live with the shitshow that is our basketball program and AD.

At the end of the day and no matter who we all want to be on Ron's shortlist, Ron is going to hire some 50 year old retread with a deceptively good record amidst a mediocre track record. If I was a betting man, then I'd put money on Chris Mooney being that guy or, at the very least, that being the type of hire Ron makes. One can still dream, though...

Mooney is a terrible idea. In 11/12 and 12/13 he came in 8th and 9th in the A-10. He is clearly not qualified to coach in the ACC.

Back