• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Interesting Article on Greg Marshall

Fran Fraschilla ‏@franfraschilla · 16m
Nooo way--has better job. RT @dalbertthekid: @franfraschilla thoughts on Marshall to Wake?

Sports reporters are some of the dumbest people on earth. Would anyone have claimed that Wichita State was a better job than Wake Forest 5 years ago? Of course no one would have made that claim. The attractiveness of a job does not fluctuate like that. Wake pays more, has better tv exposure, better recruiting grounds and you don't have to win your conference to make the NCAA tournament at Wake and that just names a few of our advantages over them.

Sports reporters are some of the dumbest people on earth. Would anyone have claimed that Wichita State was a better job than Wake Forest 5 years ago? Of course no one would have made that claim. The attractiveness of a job does not fluctuate like that. Wake pays more, has better tv exposure, better recruiting grounds and you don't have to win your conference to make the NCAA tournament at Wake and that just names a few of our advantages over them.

True statement.....but Wake also has Ron Wellman...this negative negates all positives until he is gone!

True statement.....but Wake also has Ron Wellman...this negative negates all positives until he is gone!

As much as we don't like Wellman, this is actually very very good from a coaching perspective. For the most part, Wellman may put some tough limitations on you, but good God, he will give you every chance and then a few more and a few more and then another to succeed. If you're a coach, once this AD hires you, he will have your back.

Guys, we are not going to spring for the type of money that Marshall or Smart will command. It's time to move on and hope that whatever mid major coach we decide to hire for about $1.5M is able to restore us to respectability.

It's not worth getting our hopes up for a star coach, and then be disappointed when we land someone who isn't as highly regarded.

I agree with LK here. There's no chance we get a big name coach. Hopefully, we can find a mid major guy who will get us to respectability and to the NCAAT every 2-3 years. This program is capable of much more but the powers that be won't take a financial risk or do anything to disturb the happy little circle jerk the AD is now.

As much as we don't like Wellman, this is actually very very good from a coaching perspective. For the most part, Wellman may put some tough limitations on you, but good God, he will give you every chance and then a few more and a few more and then another to succeed. If you're a coach, once this AD hires you, he will have your back.

Cannot believe the posters who are willing to turn the left cheek when it comes to Wellman...That Bastard is the reason for the whole debacle for the decline in Wake athletics last 4-5 years...Just taking FOUR YEARS OF YOUR LIFE so he could experiment with a GD Social Outcast is enough to piss off the majority on this board to no end...The PROBLEM BEGINS AND ENDS WITH RON WELLMAN!!!

Cannot believe the posters who are willing to turn the left cheek when it comes to Wellman...That Bastard is the reason for the whole debacle for the decline in Wake athletics last 4-5 years...Just taking FOUR YEARS OF YOUR LIFE so he could experiment with a GD Social Outcast is enough to piss off the majority on this board to no end...The PROBLEM BEGINS AND ENDS WITH RON WELLMAN!!!

Don't misunderstand me, I'd love to see Wellman gone. I'm not defending him - I think he is an arrogant, pompous ass that needs to go. I'm just looking at it from a coach job security perspective as to why Wake.

Understand, but it cannot be denied that if Wellman would have been the CEO of any responsible corporation; he would have been "shit-canned" by the BOD about the 2nd year of Bz's tenure and Grobe's complacency...

I still cannot fathom where there is any justification for Bz being paid in the seven figures when the resume shows he is not even worth six figures...

I agree with LK here. There's no chance we get a big name coach. Hopefully, we can find a mid major guy who will get us to respectability and to the NCAAT every 2-3 years. This program is capable of much more but the powers that be won't take a financial risk or do anything to disturb the happy little circle jerk the AD is now.

Take some of your Wall Street millions and cut a check to the Deacon Club contingent on a star coach getting hired. Don't be one of those evil rich white men we all despise

Understand, but it cannot be denied that if Wellman would have been the CEO of any responsible corporation; he would have been "shit-canned" by the BOD about the 2nd year of Bz's tenure and Grobe's complacency...

I still cannot fathom where there is any justification for Bz being paid in the seven figures when the resume shows he is not even worth six figures...

I mean, at Wake he's actually been worth negative dollars. Not trying to be snarky. He's literally cost the university a lot of money way beyond his salary.

It's not that much of a risk to spend $3.5M on a coach who has been to the Final Four compared to spending $1.5M on a coach who may have one or two NCAAT appearances at most. Marshall and Shaka are sure things.

It's not that much of a risk to spend $3.5M on a coach who has been to the Final Four compared to spending $1.5M on a coach who may have one or two NCAAT appearances at most. Marshall and Shaka are sure things.

Agreed. But we know unfortunately that for Wellman, Hatch and the BOT winning is not the priority. They will go the pennywise, pound foolish route.

I mean, at Wake he's actually been worth negative dollars. Not trying to be snarky. He's literally cost the university a lot of money way beyond his salary.

I would have bailed on the stock the minute I heard Jeff Goodman's Bz to Wake rumor. tbird is totally right on the shit-canned, although somehow John Chambers is still running Cisco with a 15 year stock return of about -22%.

If we spend less than 2M per after we've paid bz 1.4 for four years I will officially be done.

There are good coaches out there who we could hire for under 2M. Shaka and Marshall are probably the only discussed candidates who would command more, I would imagine.

I would have bailed on the stock the minute I heard Jeff Goodman's Bz to Wake rumor. tbird is totally right on the shit-canned, although somehow John Chambers is still running Cisco with a 15 year stock return of about -22%.

Cisco has done about as well as Sisqo if the last 15 years.

If we spend less than 2M per after we've paid bz 1.4 for four years I will officially be done.

Unless we get a Shaka or Marshall, there won't be any reason to pay that much. We could almost certainly get Howland for less than $2 million at this point. Virtually none of the other candidates we've mentioned will come close to that amount.

Back